Advice for a LWB recumbent mid-drive?

briogio

100 W
I'm building my second e-bike, a LWB recumbent with 26" wheels, 3" front and 6"-8" (depends on shock) rear suspension. I've overbuilt it with recycled steel frames and lots of triangulation. I'll use a front Zzipper fairing and some kind of aero tailpiece, may try a bodysock. I want to go 50mph (80 kph), at least 50% of the time, and my commute is 45 miles 1 way, (I can charge at work), not very hilly.

So I'm wondering whether I should use a hub motor, Cyclone, or RC?, noise is not an issue, and I'll be able to do a lot of gearing options. Would a Cromotor be overkill? would 2 1200w Cyclones work? I know RC motors are very powerful for their size, but need a lot of gearing, are they reliable in the long term?

Thanks for any advice :idea:

If you go cyclone it won't be quiet, but their heavy duty double freewheel mount doesn't suck like the regular bike mounts do (at least on my square tubed kmx) on round tubes I have no idea. That kind of power will eat chains though, I'd almost suggest carrying an extra in your bag. As for reliable at that speed someone else will have to weigh in.

Most reliable will be the HUb motor in the Most longest run. saw a Hs4080 ? , cromotor ? x5404 ? all these motor can accept 100v, i think will sure run 50mph.

skaplan said:
If you go cyclone it won't be quiet, but their heavy duty double freewheel mount doesn't suck like the regular bike mounts do (at least on my square tubed kmx) on round tubes I have no idea. That kind of power will eat chains though, I'd almost suggest carrying an extra in your bag. As for reliable at that speed someone else will have to weigh in.

The mounts I'm not really worried about because I can fabricate and weld something nice anyway, apart from being loud what are your other impressions of the Cyclone?

kentlim26 said:
Most reliable will be the HUb motor in the Most longest run. saw a Hs4080 ? , cromotor ? x5404 ? all these motor can accept 100v, i think will sure run 50mph.

I like the mid-drive idea because with my recumbent I have a lot of gearing options and I can keep a motor in it's "sweet spot" and be more efficient.

My cyclone doesn't have many hours /miles on it. We pulled it off my girlfriend's bike because of mounting issues. When I have time it will go on my kmx because I already paid for it. Based on it's reputation I plan to run it at 24v which should get me close to 30mph in theory. If I end up forking out for a full suspension, it will get a nice reliable dd hub motor.

SK

i only felt the 6, 7teeth big motor will be noisy. not the 1200watt motor will be loud n noisy. it i sure best to run dual cyclone becos two of these motors will easy reach 60kmh, i think is possible to go all the way at that speed 60kmh or much faster. the battery has to be 10c at least, or output 4200watts. per km used will be at least 24watt. the only stress is the sporket gears teeth, and chain will need replacement . you got to watch sporket teeth is not worn off. if is worn off, you will definitely feel it too. the chain will gives u a slip gearing.. not smooth. . dont worry if cyclone controller fails, there are few controllers are cheaper and reliable to replace .

kent

Back