Review: 2010 EG Milan Electric Bike

OldCarGuy

1 µW
I've been lurking here for a while. And want to thank the members for the knowledge that I obtained. This is my first post in this forum. But I felt compelled to share my experience with my latest purchase. I'm not a avid bike enthusiast. Rather as my handle may indicate, I'm into antique cars. Along with machinery and equipment that filled my working career in and around Tool and Diemaking. If you wish you can read about my retirement complex that I built on this forum... http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2122

My Newest Ride,, EG Milan..

DSCF1337.jpg

DSCF1343.jpg

DSCF1344.jpg

Did I fool you? Betcha thought I purchased another car.. My new ride is a 2010 EG Milan electric assist bicycle. Though I'm retired, I'm always doing and up to something. Simply put, my doctor recommend that I need to be more active. That's why I picked up a set of skies and took up Cross-country skiing this past winter. In the warm weather there's nothing like a refreshing bike ride. Unfortunately my knees literally lock up after three miles. Getting old sure has its' downside... My Son-in-Law, an avid cyclist, suggested that I consider an electric assist bike.

The good news about an electric bicycle is that they are classified as bicycles. You don't need any license registrations, special operator's license, and your home owner's policy will cover them for insurance. http://www.eco-wheelz.com/electric-bike-laws.php

After a month's research and deliberation. Reading what other's have said about electric bikes on this forum and others. Many members have put together their own bikes. I know that I could easily do it; but that was out of the question. I have far too many projects to do as it is... So I made the purchase after talking with Craig at eCo Wheelz. The Milan is a great bicycle and I believe that I made the ride decision. But what makes me feel even better than the bike are the two men (Craig and Jeremy) behind eCo Wheelz. They have a fantastic Website. http://www.eco-wheelz.com/ And know their products well. Talk about service, the bike showed up the day after ordered it. Carefully packaged in a single carton, and by and large assembled. After unwrapping and setting up the bike, I found that the luggage rack was damaged. Even though the shipping carton didn't show any obvious damage. A call over to Craig, and two days later a new rack shows up.

DSCF1386.jpg

The bike was shipped without any instructions or manuals. I understand this is the norm, and the shipping carton is marked, “recommended to be assembled by professions.” There are manuals that can be downloaded from eCo Wheelz; but are too generic to answer the questions that I had. Never fear Craig had the answers! From the simplest to the more complex... I have to say he knows ever nut, bolt, and thingy and where it belongs on this bike. Even though my Milan is a new model....

After researching electric assist bike, I made a wish list. That includes 36 Volt 10 AH Battery mounted in luggage carrier, rear wheel direct drive motor at least 250 Watts, pedal assist and or full power modes, aluminum frame, disc brakes (Milan has only front disc), as many gears as possible, Front suspension fork, fenders, and looking like a conventional bicycle as possible. Not something out of this world design. After all I'm an old timer with conventional viewpoints...

The EG Milan has most everything that I felt was important. Brush-less 350 Watt direct rear-wheel hub drive. The motor has a planetary gears for better take off and hill climbing. Along with 21 Speed Shimano Acera Rear and SIS Front Derailleurs...

DSCF1348.jpg

DSCF1381.jpg

Easy access shifter controls, indicators, and thumb throttle control...

DSCF1356.jpg

Control central on handle bars. With three pedal assist modes along with battery change meter..

DSCF1353.jpg

Front disc brakes. Along with higher speeds more braking powered is required.

DSCF1345.jpg

Rear V-brakes provide outstanding stopping power...

DSCF1378.jpg

RST Gila front suspension fork..

DSCF1346.jpg

26” all season mountain bike tires and Henli double wall aluminum rims, with fenders and mud flaps....

DSCF1368.jpg

DSCF1365.jpg

The EG Milan is one fine ride. She's smooth, whisper quiet, powerful, and easy to ride. And at a modest price tag... With moderate peddling I've done 30 miles on a single charge. She'll go 20 miles only using the battery with no peddling. The 60 pound curb weight is hardly noticeable on level ground. And not evident when using even the lowest motor assist mode...

Pretty dang well built for a production ebike I'd say. The frame is similar to my favorite frame of all time, from a vintage Raliegh, and should be very strong even with a low top bar. The gearmotor has features similar to one I really like on my Fusin motors. The three speed modes switch is suprisingly handy, using the low settings to get up steeper hills, or just to get better throttle controll in more crowded riding settings like a swap meet or a boardwalk.

This is what I like to see. Great review, good pics, and an honest opinion. Pretty hard to argue with a guy that is just telling the truth. Wish that there were more people like you instead of all the lurkers that jump on band wagon when something goes wrong with there bike. Keep up the good work and keep a log of you rides. A year from now you will be amazed not only by miles traveled but the info will help you with daily routine stuff that you can integrate into regular life. Thanks for review on bike and hope other people appreciate it. Have fun and thanks for review.

Could you give us a follow up on how the bike is holding up. I might order this exact one this week. Eric

Here is what old car guy wrote "My Milan has performed flawlessly.. Cannot say enough good things about it."

I just bought the Milan 350 and will be posting a review with in the next few days, first day out road about 10 miles and the bike did great with about 60-70% left on the battery indicator. So far I really like it and got a great price.

Another day and I added a Cat Eye 7. With power assist on low and light pedaling im getting 10 mph, medium 15 mph and high 20 mph. Going to double check the computer's calibration just to make sure the computer is working right. Looks like the front rotor is slightly warped and thats why im having problems adjusting the front brake but the rear is straight and working well. Both brakes work well but i dont like that the levers go all the way to the grips when braking. Still love the handling and ride of the bike. Would be nice to know if anyone has read this post?

I researched electric bikes for two months before making a choice. Ive only road this bike, Pedegro Interceptor, EG Bali 350 and eMoto 2.0 and was considering the Hebb 500. Also considered HPC, Ultra Motor and some electric scooters. I was prepared to spend $2500 if there was something that warranted the price but I didn't see anything worth the extra grand I would be spending after driving the EG Milan, even without every thing adjusted and the brakes loose.

Mainly this has everything you need in an electric. three things I wanted 350watt motor, 36 volt, 10 amh or better, front suspension, fenders, rack, gears well maybe more than three but its got all those, I thought I wanted rear suspension until i found out how much weight it added.

Bike rides great and really feels planted to the road but also coasts and glides on human power just like a regular bike, three power levels equates to 10mph, 15mph and 20 mph and gets there guick with little pedaling. Ive done 50 miles in a week and uses about 25% of battery for 10 miles using mid power level.

Some minor things is it uses 18mm nuts on the rear axle, most wrench sets don't have this size. Also the rims call for extended length valve tubes, it didn't come with a manual and the online doesn't mention this or how to adjust the brakes. I think they expect you take it to a shop if you need to change a rear tube. I have communicated direct with the owner who talked me through the brake adjustment and is very good about responding to emails.

On Myron's, owner Sam who was by himself helping me and two other customers and answering the phone all with remarkable patience. He let me test right three bikes without asking for ID but we had numerous email and phone conversations. Really letting me take a 1500$ bike with nothing was surprising. He was very helpful and honest about models and there limitations vs advantages. Gave me a good deal and followed up the sale with an email to let me know if i needed any thing to let him know.

As for extended valve tubes: You can use standard thorn proof tubes with slime made by Bell. They are at
finer Walmart stores. You may need to pull a little on them to get them started, but they will do the trick.
Here in Nevada they stop buffalo head and other thorn flats real well.

EVsRock!
http://www.evsroll.com

Lot's to like on this bike. Mixte style frames are making a comeback in bicycling and this is as close to a mixte framed ebike as I've seen. Problem with emixte's is the battery must be carried on the rear rack, which makes for problems with handling, ride and carrying ability. The rack looks very strong, except at the attachment points. I've seen several fails in production ebike battery/rack combos, and wouldn't recommend putting any additional weight on a rear rack already loaded with a battery.
It's rare to see a bike with front and rear derailleurs that also has a full chainguard, and this one has frame tabs for it's attachment, which I really like. The fenders are a worthwhile addition and a good looking design. I don't understand the knobby tires that come standard? Mixtes aren't MTBs and I'll bet the Milan would be a lot nicer to ride with some similarly sized street tires.
Handlebar looks clean and nicely laid out, but lacking multi function LCD control screen. No speedo, odo, tripmeter,range etc.
I'd prefer disc brakes fore and aft, but at least in this design, one of them might not screech!
OldCarGuy is mistaken in referring to the hubmotor as 'direct drive'. Direct drive means 'no planetary gears'. My BionX is direct drive, the Milan is geared. Both have benefits.
All in all a decent, but boring bike. For $1500, good value for an entry level bike, suitable for light recreational usage, but in my politically incorrect, baby-boomer mentality, a girls frame.

Girls frame really? Wheres the curved from bar? The one i have is front and rear disks. over 300 miles and working great. best 1500 ebike IMO

A spam message in my email inbox directed me back to this forum. So I thought that I would post an update to my 2010 review of my Milan Electric Bicycle. Except for some minor adjustments, tire replacements, and expected wear and tear and adjustments. I have to say the Milan has held up to the roads, trails, bridges, and the test of time. Nearly Seven years and thousands of miles this bike has never let me down! From discovering the unbeaten paths in northwest corner of the USA,, Orcas, San Juan, Lopas Islands. To the majestic redwoods in Sonoma County and the Getaway to Napa Valley.. Throughout Yellowstone Park and too many to mention National Parks throughout the west. Such as Zion, Arches, Bryce Canyon, and Arches National Parks in Utah... As far south as Key West Florida to the big apple,, New York City. The 350 mile route between Pittsburgh to Washington DC, via the Allegheny Passage and C&O Canal Towpath... Now that's a treck.. Then 36 states between! This bike is the bomb! :D

Excellent review; sad to say I wasn't an e-phile then. Hope you get thousands more miles on it, and even contribute another post in five or six years.

Back