STOLEN: [Melb, Australia] DH Comp with H4060

shorza

10 kW
STOLEN.
Within the last few days, some lowlife has angle-ground the cable securing this bike to my shared carport.
Without a battery, this bike would be extremely hard to ride and transport.
If anyone in Melbourne sees this around, please contact me.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey all, I figure it's about time to post a build thread... well more like a completion thread.
Now that I have been working on this bike for about 5 months, and it's as good as finished, time to start a thread.

Bike: Giant DH Comp 2002
Motor: Crystalyte H4060
Controller: 18 FET Low RDS MOSFET Overclocker Ready LYEN Controller
Batteries: 96 volt - 15ah. Made from 23s 3p Turnigy 5000mAh hardcase packs stuffed in a Pelican type case.
Tires: Rear - Maxxis Holy Roller Front - Maxxis Minion

Assesories:
Cycle Analyst V3
Giant DH Comp Drop Out adapters
SSC P7 3-Mode 900-Lumen LED Bike Light
Smart 1/2 Watt LED Rear Light

DH Comp bought for $600 off ebay. I don't have a before picture.
IMG_20121017_111851.jpg
H4060 laced and dished in a 26" Sun Rim by the same wheel builder that builds Stealth wheels in Australia.
IMG_20121017_110012.jpg
7 speed freewheel with 11 tooth gear.
IMG_20121017_112818.jpg
Removable battery case for easy recharging.
IMG_20121017_100137.jpg
Bit of a rat's nest, but everything just fits.
IMG_20121017_100226.jpg
'A' port contains a pre-charge resistor on the negative side. 'B' port is the battery's main output.
So I plug the controller's main power leads into the pre-charge port (A) for 3 seconds, before then plugging it into the main discharge port(B).
The controller's ignition lead then plugs into the 'A' port.
View attachment 9
The small plug on the right of the discharge ports connects to my bike light battery.
IMG_20121017_110006.jpg
2 steel 'arms' that are attached to the case sit in the triple clamp to take the weight, while a nylon strap is wrapped around and tightened. Velcro ties keep everything tight.
View attachment 3
Front light on handlebars.
IMG_20121017_112707.jpg
Rear light IN seat.
IMG_20121017_112759.jpg
2 Ebikes.ca's Velcro Strechy Sleeves to keep the wires fairly neat.
IMG_20121017_112901.jpg

Looks great Shorza, I just about to convert an almost identical DH Comp myself with Kiwis dropout adapters as well, but with an HS3545, but I will be putting the batteries in the frame hopefully (will be tight squeeze), but if I want more volts or range I will probably follow your lead with attaching a case to the forks.

Looks very tidy.

Do you find the case affects the handling much?

It is heavy and the handlebars can swing around when walking the bike without holding them.
Once riding it it isn't noticeable at all.

Good luck with the build, and feel free to ask if you run into problems as I've probably already encounted them.

Your build looks excellent in every way. All I would recommend is you to offer your top speed and range on 23s3p because you know that's the first question I would ask! :D

Looking forward to copying your success!

shorza said:
Hey all, I figure it's about time to post a build thread... well more like a completion thread.
aww, a completion thread? that's no fun! we would have loved to have steered you in all different directions... :mrgreen:

just kidding. looks great!

hs4060 direct from kenny?

love the pelican case connectors! do you have to yank it for each charge?

put it up on the other dh comp thread! the more the merrier. :p

litespeed said:
Your build looks excellent in every way. All I would recommend is you to offer your top speed and range on 23s3p because you know that's the first question I would ask! :D
Looking forward to copying your success!
Hi litespeed, and thanks for giving me the inspiration to create a new thread. It's about time I stopped lurking these forums and started sharing my experiences.
My top speed on 23s is around 65kph, but I usually have my 3 speed switch on 85% when commuting with gives me about 55kph.
Range really depends on how I ride. As a rough guide, I use about 4ah for my 16km route with light pedaling easy riding.

GCinDC said:
aww, a completion thread? that's no fun! we would have loved to have steered you in all different directions... :mrgreen:
just kidding. looks great!
hs4060 direct from kenny?
love the pelican case connectors! do you have to yank it for each charge?
put it up on the other dh comp thread! the more the merrier. :p
Oh I still went in all sorts of directions. Your build and Kiwi's dropouts are what made me want to get a DH Comp. I still visit your thread whenever there is a new post. Cheers.

The H4060 is one of Hyena's group buys from late last year. Luckily I didn't have to deal with Kenny myself :D. Thanks Hyena.
Kenny now sells the H4065, which I would prefer if I had to start again.

I am not sure what you mean by 'yank it for each charge'.
When I'm done riding, I chain up the bike, undo the straps of the battery, pull both connectors out then take the battery upstairs to charge.
I'm using a 900w BMS Battery charger to bulk charge.

Heading to the other thread now.

Very neat looking build 8) . How does the motor handle 93 volts? IF the battery's weren't upfront do you think you would be in a constant struggle to keep your front end down?

Nice build too!!

Even if you want to try a 20" wheel you'll love the feeling for dirt rides!!

here is mine with the 5403 on 16" rim :mrgreen:

Doc

Attachments

• P1090257_800x600.jpg
    P1090257_800x600.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 8,575
Thanks for the kind words. I can lift the front wheel now at 45amps, I can imagine without the batteries.

Hey Doc, your bike looks great with the smaller wheel and larger tyre. I was aiming for a stealthish build as I also ride on the road, not sure if that motorcycle tyre would pass as stealth.

Bummer. I go to jump on my bike this morning to go to work and notice a small pool of oil on the ground caused by the rear shock. This shock is brand new and i am not sure what went wrong.
I take it to work anyway as i was running late, and things got worse....

IMG_20121030_115323.jpg
It seems the stem isn't seated. Could this be caused by the leaking oil, or the leaking oil caused by this?
I take it the shock is now screwed?

I doubt it, but i'll definitely try. I bought it off eBay from a seller with a store in my city. I guess i'll see how good their customer service is.

I don't understand how it is leaking oil AND broke away from from the base. They must be related.

Looks like the bottom bushing was too tight, causing excessive bending force on the shaft.

Bummer.. :evil: I know how it feels - same thing happened to me a long time ago when I was still at uni with no much $$ to spare.
Still got the old shock?

Oh that makes sense, I did tighten the hell out of them.

I just emailed the eBay seller of my new shock and he said there is a 1 year warranty on it so hopefully i'll get it replaced, but since it's probably my fault i am not sure.
I'll let you know.

Any details yet? So I'm not following, what do you think you over tightened? The bolt that holds the shock to the frame/suspension?

Tom

The shock was brand new, bought off ebay, and I didn't compare the bolt holes (where the bushings are) to my old one. Sure enough they were different. One end was ok, but the other hole didn't have enough room for bushings, so I cut them up so they were basically fat washers/spacers. When installing, i made sure they were REALLY tight.

Since that end didn't have bushings and was super tight it couldn't pivot like it's meant to, and I guess was bending the shaft till it snapped.

Luckily the eBay seller was happy to replace it no questions asked. Now i need to figure out a solution to re-install it. Maybe i can flip it upside down so the end that pivots the most is the one with the bushing.

Thanks goes to Full-Throttle for the advice.

I'm back and the bike is still going strong.

If anyone in Melbourne is interested, I am selling my previous commuter here: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=46671

A few screen captures from this morning's commute

The man himself
cap1.jpg

..moment's later
cap2.jpg

..later still (you might recognise the bike)
It's winkinatcha BTW. I was already late but couldn't say no to a good chat
cap3.jpg

Classic. Lets do a ride while its still beer weather!

Back