10,000 mile club

40,000 miles with my car in the years 2006-2012

From now on ill be biking and it will be 2500 miles commute max and add 2500 miles for other stuff. YEAH :D

Any1 else gone from car to bike for 100%?

Miles to date 40 miles
Start date 2012-06-04

If all people were zealous and each rode their ebike we would have a world with 10-20% increase in GNP, less pollution and much more :D

every 10,000 mi is about $2100 of fuel in my car. So you guys are doing awesome. IM envious If I could only get my bike done!

leffex said:
40,000 miles with my car in the years 2006-2012

From now on ill be biking and it will be 2500 miles commute max and add 2500 miles for other stuff. YEAH :D

Any1 else gone from car to bike for 100%?

Once you spend a month or two with just ebiking you'll know whether it will stick or not. For me, it has stuck once I upgrade to a Mac hub motor and started running 1000watts+. I own a car that just sits in the driveway. Hasn't been driven in 3 weeks, but I did start it up last week. Doesn't cost too much to own, but I still wish I could get rid of it. It's just this idea that I need to keep my car (American life not in a huge city, but a small city) that makes me keep it.

I am at about 4500 total ebike miles. 3400 on my Mac hubs since last August.

Finally made it! 10100 miles on lead. Mixing and matching batts/anything goes. :mrgreen:

Reasons to use slime:

1. Off road tires in dirt/thorn areas.
2. Hard to mount tires
3. Women rider
4. Lazy
5. Redneck
6. Bad back
7. Bad knees
8. No time
9. Don't know how to patch tire
10. Ghostbusters freak

11. Punctures from glass on the road
12. Pinch punctures. smallish ones. (It just saved me from having to unbolt the hub motor to change the tire from a pinch flat!:D)
13. Saves you from having to walk/taxi/haul your bike home because of a flat. AKA saves a ton of time and missed rendezvous!

22 miles/day, ~4 days/week, ~47 weeks/yr, 4 years this month. Should be somewhere around 16K miles. All on one bike, but on my second BionX unit (upgraded to the 48V model). Had quite a few flats in the first year, but then switched to Michelin City Pilots, and have only had one flat since (from a razor blade, and Michelin replaced it free). Thin tubes and no slime. Even more impressive is that my prescriptions are about 1/8th what they were 4 years ago.

Since I live in Phoenix, this is not easy. I have to bundle up pretty much in the winter, and I won't ride whenever it gets treacherously cold (below 36F), which is once or twice a year. Nor will I ride when the expected high is over 120, which hasn't happened so far in the last 4 years. Rain is OK.

-- Alan

The Stig said:
11. Punctures from glass on the road
12. Pinch punctures. smallish ones. (It just saved me from having to unbolt the hub motor to change the tire from a pinch flat!:D)
13. Saves you from having to walk/taxi/haul your bike home because of a flat. AKA saves a ton of time and missed rendezvous!
14. Excellent for Cross-Country when it's a PITA to swap the tire out On The Road. I had but one flat on the entire trek, however even Slime would not have saved me from the frippen ¼-inch lag bolt that went all the way in to the rim.
15. Almost the same as #13. Slows Rim Flats which were caused by manufacturing flaw (see Kris Holm Rims for more detail). Nothing girly about that. I just got sick and tired of pushing the bike home.

Getting there, slowly ~KF

I had a small shard of glass puncture my rear tire a week ago. I had slime in the tube and it just sprayed all over. Though it did seem to slow the leak enough to still be ridable for a while. I got to a bike shop and replaced it with a downhill tube, those suckers are thick!

hitting 6,000 miles on hub motors, this weekend.

I have the downhill tubes.

veloman said:
I had a small shard of glass puncture my rear tire a week ago. I had slime in the tube and it just sprayed all over. Though it did seem to slow the leak enough to still be ridable for a while. I got to a bike shop and replaced it with a downhill tube, those suckers are thick!

hitting 6,000 miles on hub motors, this weekend.

'had similar situation(s) - did yours do the "psst, psst, psst, etc." as it rolled around? Slinging Slime all over the place but it does usually slow air loss down. Only time it doesn't help is when something long pierces all the way through or a pinch flat to the inner circumference of the tube/rim.

Thick tubes are good for hub motor wheels it would seem. It's not like you're gonna notice the extra weight and even with a hole, Slime works better.

>> did yours do the "psst, psst, psst, etc." as it rolled around?

Yeah, and I felt my heart fall to my feet... :x

When I had my flat - The Flat, the last flat, the only flat I've had in the last 15 months, yes... that flat - I had Liquid Latex (I forget brand) instead of Slime, and when that blew, it slung that latex crap all over my nice bike and was a major PITA to clean up. Nothing would have stopped the flat... except avoiding the obstacle altogether. But I will give that Slime cleans up nicely – with a rag or with water. I still have solidified drizzles of latex bonded to my rims. Never again.

DH Tires: 2-Ply Hookworms (no longer made) front and back
DH Tubes: Q-Tubes or Kenda
Double Rim Tape: Stop Flats II on the inside, then a layer of Velox
Tire Liner: Again – a layer of Stop Flats II between tire and tube.

Armored for frippen bear <grrrr>, KF :twisted:

Kingfish said:
When I had my flat - The Flat, the last flat, the only flat I've had in the last 15 months, yes... that flat - I had Liquid Latex (I forget brand) instead of Slime, and when that blew, it slung that latex crap all over my nice bike and was a major PITA to clean up. Nothing would have stopped the flat... except avoiding the obstacle altogether. But I will give that Slime cleans up nicely – with a rag or with water. I still have solidified drizzles of latex bonded to my rims. Never again. KF :twisted:
wow... did you have fenders?

The Stig said:
Kingfish said:
<snip>... that flat...<snip>KF :twisted:
wow... did you have fenders?

Yep, front and rear. Click the link in the quote (the post is dated: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:04 pm). I think that flat experience is one of those that will stay with me for the rest of my life. The Hookworms are difficult to get on and off, and on those rims - being the widest I could find, combined with all the layers, plus having to disassemble two mechanical units in the full heat of August with little shade... I ran out of water before reaching the next town (Mariposa). The lesson learned was that when these tires wear out, I'm switching to DOT-rated tires, something in the line of being belted. It's 2-3 times the weight, but at the speeds I am traveling with the loads I'm carrying - it will just have to be for safety-sake.

Funny cos I was actually thinking about it this morning in bed: It's too late in the season to make a fast run up to the I-90 (Snoqualmie) summit for a Century with snow on the ground, but it doesn't answer the question about how to avoid the crap slung onto the margins of the road (my previous source of flats back in 2010). The Interstate allows bikes between Washington & Montana and offers a good wide margin that appears suitable for a fast ride, but I talked myself out of it until I move to the next class of tire. :roll:

May your travels be flat-free, KF

GrayKard said:
Very cool, you really racked up the miles. I have about 5,000 electric miles on my Ibex, but soon my commute will be very short, so the next 5,000 is gonna take a long time.

Gary
I have a bicycle similar to the Ibex with an Achiever Coaxial Motor and have put on 5510 miles in 129 days. I am really looking forward to being a part of the 10,000 mile club. Does anyone know what the world record is for the most e-bike miles in a year? I'm hoping I have a chance at setting a new one. Bill

I'm around 11,500 miles now. Around 7000 on the cellman a123 pack, still giving the same capacity as a year ago.

Two days ago I was on a long ride out into the suburbs and got a small staple in my Schwalbe Marathon. I think the tread is to blame - it pushed the staple pointing up. If it was a full smooth tread, I doubt it would stand up a staple or nail.

Official Member with Today's ride. :mrgreen:

Next up: 10k with 2WD 8)
Cheers! KF

OK I am easily over 10K miles now although I replaced the batts on my speedo so it reads zero again. I ride 3K+ per year and thus far have replaced the clutch in my BMC V2S as well as the sideplate motor bearings were not centered so fixed that. Rewired the motor, added a second pair of phase wires, cuz I was in there. I smoked my original controller mybad, testing how much it would take, and nothing to do with the unit itself. Near the end of my third set of tires and just installed my third set of brake pads a couple months back. I also replaced my thumb throttle but to my surprise only once. I managed to destroy 10 of my 40 a123 26650 batts by severely abusing them as well but other than that the rest are doing great after near five years and 1200-1500 cycles.

WASYLBRYTAN said:
GrayKard said:
Very cool, you really racked up the miles. I have about 5,000 electric miles on my Ibex, but soon my commute will be very short, so the next 5,000 is gonna take a long time.

Gary
I have a bicycle similar to the Ibex with an Achiever Coaxial Motor and have put on 5510 miles in 129 days. I am really looking forward to being a part of the 10,000 mile club. Does anyone know what the world record is for the most e-bike miles in a year? I'm hoping I have a chance at setting a new one. Bill

Well, here I am again. I passed my first year of ownership and the 10,000 mile mark 2 months ago. No flat tires, 3 chains and 2 cassettes. My Epik Whistler still runs as well as the day I bought it. Had a ride today and hit 28mph. I love this bike which originally cost me $1499.00 . After all the services I have a total of $2134.00 into it which comes out to $0.20 per mile. If you subtract the cost of the bike which still runs like new, it has cost me 3.74 cents per mile. And that includes the cost of electricity to charge the battery. I can safely say that THE AUTOMOBILE IS OFFICIALLY OBSOLETE. Bill

Damn that's a lot of saddle time. And clearly in the weather no matter what it is. Congratulations.

My best efforts of calculating costs for commuting only, including the bike, were about $0.15 per mile. I stopped actually logging miles at about 6,000 miles, and never logged dirt miles consistently. Then I kept riding another year in the same, 2,000 miles a year pattern, till I got sick.

I estimate my total to be above 10,000. Now I have a CA on each bike I ride much, and put about 1200 miles on them combined last year (2013). So safe to say it's 9,200 at the very least. 2012 I was so sick I rode very little, so I can't say for sure if I really crossed 10,000, but I can say for sure I have 9,200 miles. Then 300 miles of dirt riding a year is quite plausible, x 5 years. The true total must be closer to 12,000 miles, but I can't prove it.

I still have a car, and must for days I'm still too weak to ride in the cold. Or driving to a good place to ride for fun. But I can have stronger days now that I don't work myself to death. So I hope to get into about 2000 miles a year again. And make the car last forever at less than 5000 miles a year.

13 000 miles on my magic pie2 motor, no maintenance yet needed.
41miles every workday home-work-home.
~7000 miles/year
Cost savings ~3700$ so far (gasoline and car maintenance)
Never get tired riding ebike. 8)

Oh, your savings have to be much more than that. Hard to calculate the savings of a car that lasted two years longer than it would have. Two more years before you get another car payment. Priceless. :mrgreen: If you dumped the car, then the savings is at least 50% of what a car payment would be, per month. At least another 5 thou or so.

auraslip said:

Not what you were asking for, but anyone got better than 10,000 miles or am I the forum distance champion?

Anyone wanna buy me a drink in dfw tomorrow when I hit 10,000 miles? 8)

I passed 10,000 miles quite a while ago. Today I have 19,967 kilometres and it is day number 486 that I have owned the bike. Tomorrow I will pass 20,000 kilometres which is 12,600 miles in 487 days. Sorry I can't provide a screenshot but my LCD monitor was recently upgraded and had to be started from zero. It would take too long to roll it back up to 19036 km. Bill

Back