Offensive Post? Flame Post?

safe said:
...as it is now the web terrorist is unrestrained and can essentially bomb/trash anything he wants with absolute glee.
We've been dealing with your terrorism over a year now. So what else is new?

Tell us the "history" behind your avatar, Tyler. Is it something that only US people will understand - i.e. fight club?

I know that in PHP a little checkbox named "irrelevant post" or "irrelevant thread" can be added. So I dont have to browse 5 pages to find one information about bikes.
I know . also, that I have FOE but I like to hear any idea, even irrational, and then deside is it worth to follow or not.

paultrafalgar said:
Tell us the "history" behind your avatar, Tyler. Is it something that only US people will understand - i.e. fight club?
:arrow: He will likely not answer that for you...

"Fight Club" was a movie about guys that got together with the sole intention of "fighting for the sake of fighting".

So when I call him a "terrorist" it's a fairly accurate description because his goal is destruction and conflict.

But as with all "terrorists" he believes his bombing / trashing / conflict posting technique is in the service of some higher ideal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fight_Club

"The book centers on an unnamed narrator who hates his job and his life. The narrator works for a car company, also unnamed, organizing product recalls on defective models if, and only if, a cost-benefit analysis shows that the cost of the recall is less than the cost of out-of-court settlements paid to relatives of the deceased (which parallels the 1970s story of the Ford Pinto's safety problems and recall). At the same time, he is becoming disenchanted with the "nesting instinct"[8] of consumerism that has absorbed his life, forcing him to define himself by the furniture, clothes, and other material things that he owns. This dissatisfaction, combined with his frequent business trips across multiple time zones, disturbs him to the point that he suffers from chronic insomnia."

Shortly before this incident, his life changes radically upon meeting Tyler Durden, a charismatic psychopath who works low-paying jobs at night in order to perform deviant behavior on the job. After his confrontation with Marla, the narrator's condo is destroyed by an explosion and he asks Tyler if he can stay at his house. Tyler agrees, but asks for something in return: "I want you to hit me as hard as you can."[9] The resulting fight in a bar's parking lot attracts more disenchanted males, and a new form of support group, the first "Fight Club," is born. The fight club becomes a new type of therapy through bare-knuckle fighting, controlled by a set of rules:

1. You don't talk about fight club.
2. You don't talk about fight club.
3. When someone says stop, or goes limp, even if he's just faking it, the fight is over.
4. Only two guys to a fight.
5. One fight at a time.
6. They fight without shirts or shoes.
7. The fights go on as long as they have to.
8. If this is your first night at fight club, you have to fight.

So we call him TylerDurden, but he's just assuming the name of the psychopath in a movie.

Neat huh? :shock: :?

The goal of TylerDurden is to destroy this place... for fun.

file.php

I'll bet safe's parents never let him answer for himself, either... :lol:

from the same wiki:
When Palahniuk made his first attempt at publishing a novel (Invisible Monsters), publishers rejected it for being too disturbing. This led him to work on Fight Club, which he wrote as an attempt to disturb the publishers even more for rejecting him. Palahniuk wrote this story while working as a diesel mechanic for Freightliner. After initially publishing it as a short story (which became chapter 6 of the novel) in the compilation Pursuit of Happiness, Palahniuk expanded it into a full novel, which, contrary to what he expected, the publisher was willing to publish.[1] While the original, hardcover edition of the book received positive reviews and some awards, it had a short shelf life. Nevertheless, the book had made its way to Hollywood, where interest in adapting it to film was growing. It was eventually adapted in 1999 by screenwriter Jim Uhls and director David Fincher. The film was a box-office disappointment (although it was #1 at the U.S. box office in its first weekend and critical reaction was mostly favorable), but a cult following soon emerged after the release of the film on DVD. As a result of the film, the original hardcover edition became a collector's item.[2] This film is now popularly considered to be an uncompromising critique of humanity's loss of identity through mass consumerism.
Note : the wiki reveals plot suprises ( a..k.a. "spoilers" )

audio interview with CP here:
http://www.studio360.org/episodes/2006/05/05/segments/65858

Check your local Library for novel or film versions of FC.
:mrgreen:

It looks like all the trashed threads have finally gotten the attention of the admins. (the ultimate goal of the exercise... well polite civility would have been good too, but I knew that would never happen :lol: ) Hopefully we will get some feedback about what can or will be done to solve this. For now it appears that everything is being locked down awaiting some decision.

It would have been so much easier if people acted civilized, but that's pretty much impossible to enforce over the internet. It appears that the admins saw the thread being trashed and decided to act. It's just as well, my next action would have been to have to terminate that one (Trashed Thread #5) and start it over again. :roll:

Attention Admin: (KnightMB or whoever) Please give some final declaration of what you have in mind to do. (or nothing if that's your choice)

The ideal here (I'll state again) is to be able to set up a panel of like minded people on a thread and be able to create a "group" of "friends" that can talk among themselves without worry of being attacked by outsiders.

:idea: I cannot conceive of any possible objection to such an idea.

paultrafalgar said:
Thanks for the explanation of the book/cult, Tyler. But what I meant by this question was why did you choose it? What is its personal significance to you? No matter if you care not to go into this, just curious.
Safe, let him answer for himself!

Hi Paul,

TD's character is the antithesis of ambivilence, apathy and complacency.

[youtube]tWbr-bzCprU[/youtube]

Lyrics from "This is your Life" (FC soundtrack).
Penned by Chuck P.

And you open the door and you step inside
We're inside our hearts
Now imagine your pain as a white ball of healing light
Thats right
Your pain, the pain of self is a white ball of healing light
I dont think so

This is your life
Good to the last drop
It doesnt get any better than this
This is your life and its ending one minute at a time

This isnt a seminar
This isnt a weekend retreat
Where you are now you can't even imagine what the bottom will be like
Only after disaster can we be resurrected
It's only after you've lost everything you are free to do anything

Nothing is static
Everything is evolving
Everything is falling apart

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake
You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else
We are all part of the same compost heap
We are the all singing all dancing crap of the world

You are not your bank account
You are not the clothes you wear
You are not the contents of your wallet
You are not your bowel cancer
You are not your grande latte
You are not the car you drive
You are not your frocking Khakis

You have to give up
You have to realise that someday you will die
Until you know that
You are useless

I say, let me never be complete
I say, may I never be content
I say, deliver me from swedish furniture
I say, deliver me from clever art
I say deliver me from clear skin and perfect teeth
I say you have to give up
I say evolve, and let the chips fall as they may

I want you to hit me as hard as you can (x2)
Welcome to fight club
If this is your first night - You have to fight

:D

Well... I'm going to go ahead and give the regular "Friends and Foes" a chance. I don't like the idea of people talking "behind my back" so to speak, but they probably do that anyway whether they post about it or not.

:arrow: So a couple of the folks I've been having troubles with are now on the list. If you never get a response this might be why.

TylerDurden said:
Hi Paul,

TD's character is the antithesis of ambivilence, apathy and complacency.
So... I read existentialism and violence from that (thanks for the answering so poignantly)
No Buddhism then? Compassion?

Did you like Akira Kurasawa? Final scene of one of his films (forget which):
He's just slain about 20 men single-handed. A lady admirer, older woman, says to him:
(as best as I remember) "You're like a magnificent flashing sword"
Pause...
"But you need to be like a magnificent flashing sword sheathed in a scabbard"

Best wishes,
Paul

paultrafalgar said:
So... I read existentialism and violence from that (thanks for the answering so poignantly)
No Buddhism then? Compassion?
You cannot have peace without justice; you cannot have justice without activism.

Durden's character exisits because of the innate human capacity for compassion. The narrator's life was centered on the translation of humanity into monetary value, until the arrival of Durden. Durden is literally an incarnation of the human appreciation of the preciousness of life.

The violence in Fight Club is metaphoric, as well as for dramatic value.

Yes, I enjoy Kurasawa films greatly. The sword.... well, it should still be kept at one's side, rather than over the fireplace.

Interesting thread, which probably doesn't need my contribution, but I'm bored, so here goes. :)

Can't see what the problem is with the existing friends and foes option. You can live your forum life almost blissfully unaware of another with its use, although the threads a foe start might remain a mystery. Then, they might get quoted - oh well. Other than that, what is the problem?

I have been on a forum where a particular individual was quite annoying to some folks, but because the user was quoted so often, he being an excellent provocateur, the ignore feature proved a bit pointless. That's rare though.

In regard to PHP code, there is a PHP tech forum which is extremely well populated by programmers who provide their knowledge and work free of charge. They are enthusiasts, like many users here. When I ran a PHP forum, I was always fiddling with design and features. It was a little obsession with me, which is one of the reasons I gave up the forum. I know how time absorbing being admin of a forum can be. It's mostly a thankless task. (So, thank you to the admin and moderators here from me while I think of it)

The PHP tech forum was the source of all my learning about php forum software. Most of the time I took what I wanted off the shelf from what was being posted in the threads to enhance my forum's features, but on the odd occasion I would post a request for some code. I was always given assistance. The cost to me was in time, not dollars, which is the same thing if you think "time is money". :)

Back