Brushless dual 6kw ALIEN Power system - electric longboard

beetbocks

10 kW
Well Hi to everybody out there!! this is my very first post on a Forum ,but having being a forum user for many years i thought i would actually contribute!!
I have started a E-skate project. Having owned an elektroskate off the shelf 500w model which I'm more than pleased with but i do think the single wheel drive is a bit limiting up hill and I live in Yorkshire!!!I thought I could do better!!
so the specs:-
2x 3KW outrunner motors
Alien controller- from my good friend Bruno!! http://endless-sphere.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=27393
Nice long board (undecided yet)
Holey Trucks
Abec !! flywheels 83mm super soft 75 durometer!! (with my custom wheel hubs I can use any diameter of Abec 11 wheel-102mm!! yeah baby)
Wii nunchuck remote (hopefully Bruno??)

I am lucky enough to be a CNC machinist and can do my own parts and use Solidworks fairly proficiently!! I am also helping Bruno out with his Ebike RC motor design http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45874&p=691073#p691073.
My intention is to be able to use off the shelf parts and just add the RC system to it.. they can make the trucks and wheel far cheaper and better than me!!
Ive done a few renderings of the finished product and hope it comes out half as good!!
Any comments would be most gratefully received!!
board2-Copy_zpsaf2d5321.jpg

more-photos
truckassembly_zps4d415914.jpg

IMG_0271_zpse4236c80.jpg

just waiting for the motor and controller from Bruno!!
IMG_0265_zps0874799f.jpg

IMG_0273_zpsc0ad502f.jpg

IMG_0259_zps72785892.jpg

battery box-done!!
IMG_0240_zps510d4cee.jpg

motor brackets done
IMG_0247_zpsffec247e.jpg

\

Attachments

• board2 - Copy.JPG
    board2 - Copy.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 8,137
Are you saying 1 Alien ESC can be programmed to control 2 motors?

I have looked at Alien ESC's but was slightly put off with the price.

Looks pretty sweet.. so what's going to protect the case on the bottom metal or plastic ?
Id be concerned with something not pretty tough.

that's very cool!

like how u use the holes in the Holey trucks....

can you put up a pic of the machined cog piece by itself ?

i am wondering, is the cog piece locked down?
seems like it wont be secure enough by just sliding in from the side...
unless it is interference fit...

or like this?

Attachments

• Belt_wheel_for_electric_skateboard.jpg
    Belt_wheel_for_electric_skateboard.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 42,296
Spooky1 -
yes Bruno is making a special 2 in 1 controller that will control both motors in one unit- If you contact Bruno on this forum his prices are cheaper than Ebay--:) http://endless-sphere.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=27393

Ohzee-

ill get it all working first then i'll make a carbon fiber cover- ill machine a foam 'buck' or mould then lay into it with cold cure carbon-strong and light!! i will use solidworks to lay a outerskin over the components and use that as a mould pattern..

sk8norcal

Yes i wanted to make a system that could be just bolted on to off the shelf items so if/when the wheels the axles break i can just buy another- Also locating in the holes give a nice positive location so no twisting of the bracket!!
The pulley wheel is all one piece and will be held in place from the front face of the wheel with a hub retainer which i'm making today at dinner time!! I will be making some universal hub drive so i can mess with the final drive ratio ,again the beauty of is it I can use any of the Abec 11 flywheel- just change the pulley teeth to suit the wheel diameter.
IMG_0282_zps744f3fbb.jpg

hubretainer_zps0b4a9f8b.jpg

Steilz-
With the 83mmm wheel and a 15/30 ratio i hope to do approx 30mph but be able to go up hills ,hence the dual drive -plus no one else has done dual drive!!! i am really not sure if it will start to pull one way!! we will see

[youtube]jTrwBO__erA[/youtube]

beetbocks said:
sk8norcal

Yes i wanted to make a system that could be just bolted on to off the shelf items so if/when the wheels the axles break i can just buy another- Also locating in the holes give a nice positive location so no twisting of the bracket!!
The pulley wheel is all one piece and will be held in place from the front face of the wheel with a hub retainer which i'm making today at dinner time!! I will be making some universal hub drive so i can mess with the final drive ratio ,again the beauty of is it I can use any of the Abec 11 flywheel- just change the pulley teeth to suit the wheel diameter.

cool! i was kind of guessing you were gonna use a "hub retainer"
universal hub drive sounds like a great idea!

With the 83mmm wheel and a 15/30 ratio i hope to do approx 30mph but be able to go up hills ,hence the dual drive -plus no one else has done dual drive!!! i am really not sure if it will start to pull one way!! we will see

i guess you meant "diagonal dual drive", cuz boosted already done 2wd rwd.... (and i just saw a 2wd fwd mtboard)
but I have seen "diagonal dual drive" on older style e-boards...

example...
http://www.e-ride.ca/Electric_Skateboards/JETDEKBlaster.html#

I must admit the boosted board is my inspiration ... The trouble with that though ( aswell as the price ) is that the wheels
and trucks have to be machined before the motor fits. My system fits on off the shelf parts!!! And my motors are bigger!! :)

beetbocks said:
the actual radius motor bracket is 6mm thick 7075 alloy- they are connected to angle bracket same alloy- easy to make in 2 piece~!! :D

Ok, I have looked online but can't find a plate of 6mm 7075 to work with, but I have found some 6mm 5083 grade, seeing as your a CNC guru could you tell me if this is ok to use for my motor brackets? I don't want to buy shite metal!

I plan on tig welding the end.

Spooky1 said:
Ok, I have looked online but can't find a plate of 6mm 7075 to work with, but I have found some 6mm 5083 grade, seeing as your a CNC guru could you tell me if this is ok to use for my motor brackets? I don't want to buy shite metal!

5083 is less than half as strong.

1/4" plate is nominally 6.35mm.

Hi
Try http://www.smithmetal.com/ this is my supplier
I actually milled a cut off peice down to 6.5mm- you could use 6082 instead.6mm will be fine. I even think 5mm would have been ok but I like to make sure!!
If you are going to tig weld it though it will severely weaken the alloy, it really needs annealing (heat treating) afterwards.. Also bear in mind the filler rod you will be using in tig will not be 6082/7075.

7075 is not considered weldable.

beetbocks said:
Hi
Try http://www.smithmetal.com/ this is my supplier
I actually milled a cut off peice down to 6.5mm- you could use 6082 instead.6mm will be fine. I even think 5mm would have been ok but I like to make sure!!
If you are going to tig weld it though it will severely weaken the alloy, it really needs annealing (heat treating) afterwards.. Also bear in mind the filler rod you will be using in tig will not be 6082/7075.

Bugger I got impatient and bought the 5083, I can always cancel the purchase I guess.

If I do not weld the bracket and drill a bolt though both bracket and axle, do you think the 5083 will be suitable for that?

In terms of strength?

I just looked at the smiths website they recon the 5083 is a popular general purpose alloy with excellent anti corrosion properties, so I'm happy now, out of interest beetblocks where about do you live in uk?

Hi Spooky
Yes the 5083 should still be ok just go a little thicker maybe. No welding would be better but if u start drilling homes through the axle it will weaken that....hence why I did my design with no welding or drilling.. Just get holey trucks and your away!!!
I live in huddersfield .

Looking good! That's good to see you're going with a sensored setup, I wouldn't go any other way. Which of Bruno's ESCs will you be using?

Hi
Bruno has made a special 2 in 1 controller!! We did away with the sensors in the end the wheel are so small there not needed. We got it all fitted on a donor board yesterday and the results just awesome,,, just waiting for the weather to dry!!

Right as promised a short video for the motors and drive system running.. The results are AMAZING!!! the power is truly phenomenal!! I've had a quick go outside my house and the acceleration as just brilliant and the power delivery is very smooth . I now have to wait for the weather to dry up.
I cannot stress how good a job Bruno has done on the Dual ALIEN power system controller and helping me wire the whole thing up.Cheers Mate!!
I now have to get a nice looking deck-any ideas- I have been looking at a Earthwing Super glider Carbon edition or possibly a Bustin Sportser (from America) its got to be something fitting to suit the nice looking drive system

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLd8BY08w-w&feature=youtu.be

Hi
Just a quick update on the project- I had a quick go outside my house and the acceleration is just phenomenal!! In fact it was that hard that it threw the batteries straight out of the back of the battery box (brittle perspex) It was never intended to be the real box but i though it would stand up to the task a bit better!! any way the board is off the road until I make a new ABS vacuum formed one.
I am on with designing and machining the buck to form it over and the ABS sheet is ordered. I have also got a few other goodies to fit and Bruno and I are working on a novel control system but that's to be tested to see the suitability!!
I also have to bite the bullet and by a nice deck to put it all on!! my one of choice (Earthwing superglider Carbon in red) appears to be out of stock everywhere though!!! :(
Ill keep you posted..

Back