Do people even try reading or searching anymore?

This is my second post, its not a question :wink:

Personally I don't find "tech" sections very helpful as I'm usually looking for experiences with a certain component or setup, reviews or just ideas that other people have used successfully (or unsuccessfully). Only way to find that stuff is to search for it. Search functions on most forums, including this one are useless. Fortunately google search works just fine

Fat Mike said:
This is my second post, its not a question :wink:

Personally I don't find "tech" sections very helpful as I'm usually looking for experiences with a certain component or setup, reviews or just ideas that other people have used successfully (or unsuccessfully). Only way to find that stuff is to search for it. Search functions on most forums, including this one are useless. Fortunately google search works just fine

Question: if I type in beer can controller, will it return results which include prosthetic hands? :D
oh well here goes nuthin. "beer can controller"
Results: done! New insight from this search, (most) intelligent people who are involved with (this) technology also have intimate knowledge of beer and controllers. No prosthetic hands though, yet.

prosthetic hands that control themselves when you have had too much beer,,now thats a winner.
Prosthetic legs to get you home too, then the hands can get your home open and get you into bed without any intervention on your part :p

Those hands would be good for slapping that person that throws my clothes all over the room and chunders all over the bathroom floor.

searching is always easier for someone that half knows the answer.....when they dont and wanna ask questions......whats the problem? It's a forum not a soapbox.....you dont wanna help them dont......you shouldn't whine about who does either.

racie35 said:
searching is always easier for someone that half knows the answer.....when they dont and wanna ask questions......whats the problem? It's a forum not a soapbox.....you dont wanna help them dont......you shouldn't whine about who does either.

+1

the more you know about the topic the more intolerant you become. and the more you know about a topic there more precise you can be.
eg: i want to mod a led lamp. i go to some led lamp forums, and try to find some information first. but info mostly is so in depth, and basic questions aren't answered. what to do now? you can't understand what the techies are talking about, but searching doesn't reveal the answer to those basic questions. so you have to open a new thread.

It's super easy to get bogged down with jargon. Jargon = technical terms that the normal layman can't understand. Personally, I like jargon. The unknown words make me want to understand it that much more. But it does require a bit of delving into the origins of the words. Eventually and with a bit of perseverance, things start to click in place. I think I'm almost there with some of the stuff here on ES, except the real electrical stuff like physical modifications (i.e. resistors, shunts, capacitors) to PCB boards, throttles, etc. That shit still flies over my head. :?

understood........still there's no good reason to hop all over the lost, insinuating they're lazy or whatever.....this thread only shows how intolerant some people can be and it's wrong.......says me

ecurbyy said:
Hello; I'm pretty sure my motor controller is blown. The distributor I bought the bike from is now out of business and I got nothing but basic information when I first received the bike. I've had electricians tell me I need the exact same motor controller to replace the one that's blown. I have searched every site I could find and am so far unable to locate one these things. It's labeled WZKC3615 motor controller and made by Yucheng. The bikes manufacturer was Changzou E-bicycle co. ltd. I've contacted them and received no reply. Can anyone lead me in finding one of these? I really need my bike, and other that this one part there is nothing wrong with it but without it it simply will not work. Please help if you can.

I think that about sums it up.

It certainly does. :(

I moved the actual post out of this thread where it absolutely doesn't belong, into a new thread in the wanted section along with his other post about the same thing in someone else's unrelated troubleshooting thread. :roll:

(i also removed the personal contact info from your quote and his post for member protection)

Drunkskunk said:
Its Human Nature.

(1) People tend to see them selves as special and unique, therefore any problem they encounter is special and unique and requires an answer specific to them, from their point of view. You learn this lesson fast working in any kind of call center. An Ex of mine who was rather clever at understanding humans believes its the same kind of motivational force that causes small children to cry for mommy even when they aren't really hurt; They just need that reassurance and attention from another human being that it realy is going to be ok.

(2) Social interaction is a basic human drive. I believe it's third on Maslow's hierarchy of needs. The best way to start a conversation with a stranger is with a question. And since a forum like this is more of a comunity than a simple information repository, every noob who comes here is going to ask a question just to get a conversation started. By having their question answered, they have had a chance interact with other members here in a personal way.

(3) And people are F'ing lazy. :D

I left this forums 2 years ago because of lazy ppl that just didnt bother helping others for simple questions
There is a huge gap between reading a wall of text and having someone explaining exactly what to do...

I am an expert when it comes to r/c and i take the time to help who ever needs help. I find it very rude when most of you guys who can give us "newbs" great help just tell us toi read the forums before posting.

ICECUBE57 Since you are so smart I suggest you post the definition of ''Forum''

or let me do that for you

forums plural of fo·rum (Noun)
Noun
A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
Sharing information.
An Internet message board.

If you are tired of sharing information. I suggest you join a social network and quit the forums :)

izeman said:
racie35 said:

+1

the more you know about the topic the more intolerant you become. and the more you know about a topic there more precise you can be.
eg: i want to mod a led lamp. i go to some led lamp forums, and try to find some information first. but info mostly is so in depth, and basic questions aren't answered. what to do now? you can't understand what the techies are talking about, but searching doesn't reveal the answer to those basic questions. so you have to open a new thread.

+1

woo hoo karl punched under the belt lol

but racie35 & karl cupcakes, because people ask same questions over and over again instead of searching, we (as YOU & me) get a messy forum.
for instance when i looked for battery phase ratio current multiplication and PWM material, i got so many results i still didn't find time to finish sift /seef through all of them to find the clearest explanation, instead of getting 2-5 threads packed with relevant info.

+1 to drunkskunk

also because of humans impatience they want to get done with it in matter of minutes by searching or after asking, wheres it can take few days, users get shocked start convulsing.

Fat Mike said:
. Search functions on most forums, including this one are useless. Fortunately google search works just fine

That's the damndest part of it. There's a check box for Google Search up there, Google as always searched this forum a bit better. Only thing I like better about the forum search is that it gives the most recent first. Google will put ancient posts at the top, regardless of if they're more relevant or not.

I've just spent a fruitless few minutes with both the native and google forum search functions, but still can't find any help:

I have an X-lyte 36/48 35A controller that works in pedal-first mode and I want instant start. This board has a sticker saying H3 under the board and on the top a sticker saying: SR0836L and printed directly on the PCB: RFW4850-V08 050809 REFLY.

What I do find is my question of some months ago...

Dermot

Dauntless said:
There's a check box for Google Search up there,

Damn, I never saw that before..I always just go to the Google Advanced search page, fire my search terms in there and stick http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums in the site or domain box.

But it is so true that a newbie won't be able to search this (or any forum) and get an answer that means anything to them. And then you get the issue of the question that is asked NOT BEING answered. The person answering ..answers what they THINK is being asked..and goes off on a tangent. Posting answers on iphones and the like does not help either as it so so difficult to go back and read the original question.

I frequently find my self posting an answer, then going back to the OP's question re reading it in light of what I have written then re writing my answer, as I realise that I have to gone off and answered something completely different ..I answered what I THOUGHT I read, not what was actually written.

I posted a thread in a similar light to this one a while back..here. But it was in regard to those responding to the OP's question rather than the original question.

Maybe when we hit the Submit button, a little confirmation window should pop up asking...'have you searched for the answer? If it is a new post...or ..."Have you read the OP's question properly? "

As if we need proof that the search function is useless...Even if you use Google Advanced Search..and know the exact title of the thread you are looking for ..you still can't find it.

I am sure there must be a way to search for a single phrase and not just a collection of words..and I thought that was to use enclosing quotes..but no. Could well be user error..but searching should be easy if it is to be used

I have a thread entitled "Please read the F...ING question before you answer"

Put that in to a search and does it come up ? No chance.

Standard search, Google Search , with the full thread title in Quotes and without. Search does not find it.

Screen shot 2013-03-30 at 20.01.48.png
Screen shot 2013-03-30 at 20.02.59.png
Screen shot 2013-03-30 at 20.03.25.png

dermot said:
I've just spent a fruitless few minutes with both the native and google forum search functions, but still can't find any help:

I have an X-lyte 36/48 35A controller that works in pedal-first mode and I want instant start. This board has a sticker saying H3 under the board and on the top a sticker saying: SR0836L and printed directly on the PCB: RFW4850-V08 050809 REFLY.

What I do find is my question of some months ago...

Dermot
I found this with google as the third item: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3896&start=330#p92374
The post following it has some info about pins to use. May not be your version though...

search Google using the next line without modification:
allintext:xlyte 35A controller instant start pedal first site:endless-sphere.com

Please see these Goggle search tips: http://www.googleguide.com/advanced_operators.html

NeilP said:
As if we need proof that the search function is useless...Even if you use Google Advanced Search..and know the exact title of the thread you are looking for ..you still can't find it.

I am sure there must be a way to search for a single phrase and not just a collection of words..and I thought that was to use enclosing quotes..but no. Could well be user error..but searching should be easy if it is to be used

Ticking the "Search within: Topic titles" option:
SearchResults-QuestionBeforeYouAnswer.jpg

Searching for the same with author would score one unique, correct hit.

Cheers I'll look for those optiions next time. But that certainly proves a point that using the search function is not an easy thing to do without help. I spent a while trying to search for something I knew was there and could not.

I know this topic is a little dated, but I wanted to chime in, being a noob and all. I try to search and learn as much as I can, but it's hard to learn things, at least for me, unless it's in an organized and sequential fashion, like a text book. All of the help, even the redundant questions new guys ask, is greatly appreciated, at least on my end though!

It should be noted that Google will not find anything posted in the toxic section... that area is excluded from web-crawlers & search engines.

Similarly, ES search will not display any results from the cesspool, unless the user is logged-in.

Back