how many dabble in radio control

truckerzero

100 W
how many of you mess with rc stuff ?
cars, boats, planes, helicopters, ect
if you dont you should there are so many parrallels and over lapping areas not to mention its fun and a great learning experiance
plus if you have kids they will love it to (but you do have to let them drive sometimes) lol
here is a example of a few foam f 27 strykers flying
its the plane i have and will probably always be my favorite go fast electric plane
ive flown it in up to 20 mph wind with 35 mph gusts and did not crash
flyes better in the wind than a lot of big heavey nitro planes
[youtube]iJH26GdsikE[/youtube]

Thought about it, but my current ebike obsession won't allow for an R/C budget :D. Mebbe when I get the other Packcycle finished...

well i hve a plane and a buggy and they havent cost to much to keep going but ill probably not add anything new for a while as this ebug got a good hold on me for now

Some 5 years ago I have bought this M.A.R.S. scaled 1:5 for my son.
On his 3rd birthday (next year) I will let him drive it... :D
Car is indestructible, as you can see.

Attachments

• rc-merc1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 2,699
  • rc-merc2.jpg
    rc-merc2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 4,640
I used to play with a RC boat many years ago. Also had a 1:10 monster truck thing.
Still sitting out in the garage, I don't think they've been used for over 10 years. Hmm... I bet some of the NiCd batteries would still work.

I did learn a lot about motors and controllers from those things. With modern motors, controllers, and batteries, I bet those things would perform much better. Ahhh.. no time for those now.

What? You can buy tiny little cars and not have rusty hulks sitting in your driveway? Why wasn't I told about this?

I have some Tamiya stuff, but haven't hooked it up to my electric wheelchair & lawnmower yet.

8)

my models through the years:
Tamiya Super Blackfoot
Tamiya Frog
Team Losi JR T
RC10GT
Kyosho Blizzard Tracked Snow Plow
Tamiya King Tiger Model Tank (built with father)
RS4 w/ 2 speed, tuned pipe and porsche 911 GT2 body kit
RS4 RTR stock (so friends could race with me)
Dragonfly RC heli
Proboat Shockwave 36" nitro cigar boat
Raptor 50 helicopter
Kyosho NSR500 HOR Motorcycle 1/8 scale
Royal Honda RC30 RC motorcycle 1/5 scale

I only have the 2 motorcycles right now, wish I kept the Porsche... Dad still has the King Tiger on display. Cousin has the Blackfoot, the rest was sold.

I fly. I've got 10 or so planes, 3D, Parkfliers, and a full house 100MPH+ warbird. All of them run Lipo and most run brushless

There's a lot of cross over between Ebikes and RC. its from RC aircraft that I learned the benifits of high windings coupled with higher voltage, and the dangers/benifits of Lipo.

Oh yeah, and I have a 10 year old RC jeep that runs on Nicad. cheapo department store toy my sister gave me when I bought a real jeep, but it still runs fine on the original Nicads

I dabbled in Nitro RC before. I still have my 1/10th Traxxas Revo 2.5. Stripped spur gear though. I'm too lazy to replace it. I tried one rc plane but the learning curve is too steep. So there were lots of repair cost. Maybe when i have time and money i'll attempt RC helicopter. Lately there's a huge trend in self stabilizing helicopter thanks to great software implementation. Might be fun.

Totals for me: 4 cars, 10 planes, 3 transmitters, too much money spent. Probably spent like $2000 over 15 years.

love all the posts!
a new traxxes rustler truck with the brushless motor and lipo battery will out run any of our ebikes top speed 70mph on the flat
i have a nitro buggy thats alot of fun but i really like to fly airplanes the most
my stryker is the best plane ive bought sofar lots of flights a few crashes but still flys good top speed?oh about 80 mph. Faster than most of the nitro planes at the field its electric and runs on a 11.1 volt lipo with a brushless motor

Yes i learned a lot from RC stuff.

Biggest lesson learned. Never hand over control of a 1/10th scale nitro monster truck to a 6 years old kid without supervision. They seem to think ramming the truck into your leg at 40mph is funny. That or they would ram your 400 bucks truck into street sign and think it is awesome that everything is mangle.

If that kid's parent weren't there i'd tie him to a skateboard and then roll his ass down a hill.

i alays said that rc cars are the most fun you can have without breaking a leg but from you just said i guess a broken ankel is actually possable!? lol

Yeah.. i got a Revo 2.5R with mods.. damn thing is tooooooo fast.. ouf.. stripped spur gear, got 2 new one's 6 months ago, still have not installed it.

Every time i take it out.. i break something.. $$$$$ :p

Also have an RS4 nitro, fast, but not as much fun as the Revo.

I plan to convert the revo to dual brushless, got enough makita cells to keep it running all day long . :wink:

My HPI nitro RS4.2 belted going as fast as I needed that year (Nearly 100mph)
[youtube]BZb4jJCvD5Y[/youtube]
View attachment RSCN1642.JPG

just under 2grand invested before I realized what kind of money pit it was(STUPID OF ME)
All aluminum CNC'd and what ever is not aluminum was but broke from flex and harmonics so it went back to carbon so to let the car shake or twist like it should be able too. I was going to race it but no one around had any cars fast enuff to keep up with it so pink slips were allways out of the question

hope you all like the video, I worked on this car nonstop for 3 months to get it this fast

Yeah i also stopped because i realized it would have been cheaper and more fun if i just take the money and burn directly. At least it'll keep me warm burning the money. The rc stuff breaks every time i take it out. I guess even monster truck can't take a 3 feet ramp without breaking. You're lucky to have such a nicely paved parking lot. I can't run those low on the ground car here. With the cycle of freeze and thaw here, the ground are pitted with cracks and pothole so only monster truck for me. I still love it though.
The best time to whip out the monster truck is when the road and driveway is covered in snow and let the monster truck ride around in that throwing snow everywhere. Only problem is when you're done you have to do a over haul of the chasis and engine to prevent water from causing rust. That mean taking everything apart and wipe it all down with WD40.

I've been flying RC planes(well one plane) for a few weeks. I have the Multiplex Easystar RTF kit, it was pretty fun stock but, I have since upgraded all the components and bought a fancy Spektrum DX6i transmitter/reciever. Brushless motor 30amp ESC and Lipo batteries. It's a great hobby. Learned all about soldering and electronics. Here's a recent video, my second flight with lipo batteries. My little brother is the camera man.
http://www.vimeo.com/1049759 (press play then pause it for a few seconds to let the buffer get going or it will lag a lot)

hey nomad that easystar was my first "real rc plane" it got me to learn a lot of basics but it was a real beast to handle in the wind
we get 10 to 15mph almost every day around here
but any way my next plane after that was the brushless stryker found on horizon hobbies website
i have well over 200 flights and am on my 2nd battery pack
i fried the first one by trying to charge it with out letting it cool off first it was a lipo and it puffed up and now will only run for 2 min on a charge
that stryker has seen 35 mph wind gusts and flown on days nobody else had the testicular fortatude to fly on becase of the wind and is still in one peace
oh by the way did i mention it goes 80 mph and another guy i know put a better motor on it and got it up to the mid 100's this thing is super fast
here is a youtube video of a stock one[youtube]emv1NqGB5_A[/youtube]
ps this thing also flys great slow because it is very light since its made from foam
plus in the case of a bad accident it can be glued back together
oh yea i have flown like the guy in this video but would not suggest it to the beginner keep it high in the sky but close to you it can get away from you real quick
if this plane would be your first that would be alright if you can fly very good on a rc plane flight simulator otherwise a perfect 2nd plane

i usally only fly that fast at my local rc field and keep it up high and its been a blast and the only money ive put in it is 65 bucks for a new battery i think its 250 bucks at my hobbie shop but i do suggest having a rc flight simulater look up fms free flight simulater thats what i learned on with a game controller for 15 bucks from wally world here is a video of my fliing field ps ive flown my stryker in winds like this on several occasions with no incendences and a couple times with even more wind with out a crash
[youtube]G3qce8LFPRY[/youtube]

hit the youtube/googlevid key on the top of the post screan and put the ********.com with out the .com

so if your video was http://www.rextuv.youtube.com, you would enter just "rextuv" with out all the extras

Back