Giant DH Comp Drop Out adapters and conversion

I will PayPal you the total tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks!

Parts Update, shipping today

O. Simon Morse NZ-Original

1. Waynebergman
2. Crusoe
3. Kristoffer
4. GCin DC
5. binlagin
6.moonshine -paid -shipped
7.shorza -paid-shipped
8.Steevetooke -Paid -shipped
9.Duc998 -Paid - shipped
10.pchen92 -paid -shipped
11. Elektryczne Motocykle - paid- shipped
12. az-crusin - paid - shipped
13. Max Banks-NZ - paid-shipped
14. Alan-c -paid - shipped
15. crookedtree -
16. Airtime - Paid - shipped
17. Foolspeed - Paid - shipped
18. Philistine - Paid - shipped
19. Sacko - Paid - Shipped
20. Kiwi (me, one day I will have my bike running!)- not paid!

Fork lifts
1.binlagin - paid - shipped
2. stevetooke - paid - shipped

Just sold my 20th Adapter set!

Thanks to everyone who bought one, glad to see axles break before the adapter.

I will make another 20, hope there are still plenty of DH comps kicking about.

Kiwi.

Ive started to attach the dropouts to the frame, they look excellent but i am in need of some advice..

the rear derailleur is giving me some grief trying to get it on, its got the adjusting screw with a tab on one side but then
the derailleur doesn't quite clear the part of the dropouts that hold in the long bolt to secure the axle on the other side
so i have to rest the tab on one side rotate it to where the derailleur clears on the other side and then somehow angle it right
to not cross thread the bolt, and then with my non existent 4th hand i have to screw in the bolt..
any tips on that would be much appreciated..

another thing the brakes were slightly out, not sure if its the magic pie or the dropouts but i had to put washers under the disc to
bring it out a mm so it would sit nicely between the brake pads, probably the magic pie at fault as the bolts i had for the disc brake were
a mm too long and needed washers anyway.. hmm

HI Darkone. Its been a while since I put my adapter set on but I do seem to remember its a lot easier to break the chain and feed the chain back through the derailer after the the derailer is fastened in place. Way less twisting and stress on the placement of your derailer before you start the fastening of it. Also you may need to file things down a bit here and there and add washers etc for chain stay spacing and all things in this busy area to work drag and rub free. One thing that worked for me was to place a few stainless hose clamps on my chain stay so the chain did not rub the aluminum chain stay when in 7th gear. The chain still rubs a bit of course but the stainless hose clamp is so low profile and strong that it protects the aluminum chain stay from getting damages. I run 3 stainless hose clamps right next to each other on the right stay to the chain kind of rides on it when in 7th gear. Hope this helps. A little patience at the time of install and a bit of filing here and there goes a long way. These adapters are awesome and so worth the money. Rock solid and they look good too! I have also used these adapters for fitting my trailer Bob Nuts on for pulling the single wheeled BOB trailer.
Screen Shot 2012-11-13 at 3.38.20 PM.jpg

cheers for the hints Wayne, i think my chain is one of them 1 use pin chains and i didn't have a new pin for it so i dismantled the rear derailleur
which helped a bit but i still ended up having to get the Dremel out and grinding down the offending part a bit, but its all together and going now yay..

i think a little hint for others out there that might be as dumb as me in putting a bike together..
attach the brake calipers last, from all the pulling the wheel in and out ive managed to bend the disc just a little bit..
but that probably goes for all installs so no fault from these dropouts

i think kiwi has done an amazing job with these and i hope he manages to sell enough for him to want to design more products for the masses here at ES

cheers adrian.

cheers.

I have 10 more sets of adapters being assembled now.
Also have 9 sets of V2 fork lifts available now.

9 Sets of DH Comp /Team adapters ready to go. $185usd Shipped

9 Sets of Fork Lift racks to mount battery packs to triple clamp forks. $160USD shipped.
file.php

Hi Kiwi

Please can I have a set of dropout adaptors for my 2003 dh team (135mm dropouts) and a forklift for a set of 2008 Fox 40s (they haven't arrived yet so I can't give you dimensions, should be here tomorrow or Saturday though) please pm me with total cost to Uk and your PayPal details. Many thanks..... Rick

Dont know how much it will hold, but have been using with 7.5kg battery. But really you dont want more than about 5kg for handling reasons. While I am sure it could support a 20kg child, that was not the intention of the belt.

hey Kiwi,

nice idea.....dont know how I missed this thread, much better solution than glue/weld IMHO.

A bit of a hijack, if anyone has any of the older 135mm x 12mm axles and/or rear hub/wheels in Australia they are willing to part with PM me please, not in here dont want to mess up Kiwis thread.

Cheers

My parts just arrived all present and correct in Stockport UK.

Got a few days left before I have to go back to work so the timing couldn't have been more perfect.

Now I can get in the garage and start putting the bike together, I got a bike workstand to begin the assembly, I doubt its going to able to take the weight of a completed ebike so its going to be like a giant game of Buckaroo adding parts until the workstand collapses :eek:

Anyway just wanted to post up and say THANKS KIWI YOU DA MAN!!

no, unless you ran a single speed and had the shoulder on the axle machined back 15mm.
Or find 150mm swingarm.

I got My kiwi adapters on my 135ish swing arm but my cell man Mac did not fit very well. The rim was not centered in the swing arm. Now I need to know what spoke lengths you guys are running for your Mac geared hubs in the kiwi dropouts so that I can rebuild my wheel? Can it be so that my wheel was dished to the wrong side of the motor when I got it? Because it was way out of center..

Thanks!

bose said:
Can it be so that my wheel was dished to the wrong side of the motor when I got it?
yes. it's been a cruel lesson for all of us with the 02-04 dh comps/teams. the 05 rear triangle seems to be centered, but the earlier ones are dished so that a centered wheel fits like this:
20120916_173859.jpg

because my motor itself was dished the opposite way, i was able to take it apart and flip the stator, so the wheel lined up perfectly, but then it's untrue for some reason because the sidecovers are mounted differently..

brand new motor and wheel after just flipping the stator:
[youtube]m1hIIcUNx4o[/youtube]

does the mac have a side that is more extruded than the other?

Wish I knew that before I bought the bike :)

Yeah, the side covers are different. But the wheel was dished from the beginning with one side spokes a little shorter than the other sides. I will try to spoke it up so the dish comes to my favor then have my lbs to true the wheel for me. I have so much money into electric bikes but have not yet ridden any...

Thanks,
bose

On the subject of DH comps, is your new bike an 05 GCinDC? Does anyone know how many years after the 05 until they started sloping the top tube and reducing the triangle space? My next project is going to be a DH comp for sure but I will have the luxury of waiting for just the right donor.

no, mine's 03 i think. 05 has 150 mm between dropouts and centered triangle. prior years are 135mm and dished.

moonshine put an 05 rear triangle on his 04 dh team. fits fine. i think he also shaved some nobbies. lol

easy to check models w/ some searches.. bikepediasometimes good.

Managed to relace the Mac hub so the dish got right. The motor originally came with spokes that were 1-2mm shorter on one flange, swithed those over to the other flange and now it is possible to center the rim on the 135mm triangle.

Off to my LBS tomorrow to get it trued :D

Btw, Kiwi has made an excellent job with the dropouts and they arrived shortly after payment to the other side of the globe (Sweden).

Ok so after GCinDC pointed me in the right direction I worked out the skinny on the Giant DH comp history (probably been done before). So it looks like the 2002, 2003, and 2004 models of the DH comp and Team are the only models with the straight top tube that provides the maximum amount of triangle space. Bikepedia did not list the drop-out width but according to others it is 135mm. In 2005 the upgraded model of both the comp and the team had the new swept down top tube seriously limiting the triangle space. This model also does not have a drop-out width listed but, also according to others, it sported a 150mm drop-out rear end (with no off-set) that can reputedly be bolted right onto the older style frame. Here is the hitch they discontinued the DH comp and Team frames in 2006 so apparently the 2005s are the only ones that have the 150mm drop-outs but also have the ruined triangle feature. So a hybrid would be the only way to get where I and others want to go. Well, no time like the present to start looking. Anybody got a 2005 Giant DH comp or team rear end they would like to sell? I won't hold my breath.

I may be all wet on my last post. I have just been looking at some bikes on pinkbike and have found several listed as 2005, 2006 and even a 2007 giant DH comps/teams with the straight top tube. None of them list their drop-out width though so now I am wondering if all of the 2005 or later are 150mm or maybe just some of them. Perhaps just the ones with the swept down top tube were the 150s. I'm confused now.

Kiwi said:
Hi,

I have finished my "no cut" drop out adapters for the Giant DH comp.
They turned out great, everything fitted perfect, which for a first shot I was pretty happy about.

I drew it all up in solidworks, then had the profiles lazer cut and turned the bosses and tig welded them together.
With the 150mm drop outs, there is heaps of room, the 9 speed cluster goes in fine, had to space the disk 6mm.
Motor dropped in, have retainer pins in case the nut loosens during riding. New disk and dérailleur mounts worked sweet.

Took like 5 minutes to swap the original wheel out for the electric.

Will finish the bike up in the next couple of days and show you the results.

I made 3 sets and sold em all allready. Will make some more. Not cheap. About $250US delivered.

Giant-Dropout-adapters-2.jpg

Giant-Dropout-adapters-1.jpg

Giant-Dropout-adapters-3.jpg

Giant-Dropout-adapters-4.jpg

PICT0225-1.JPG

PICT0383.JPG

PICT0387.JPG

PICT0385.JPG

PICT0396.JPG
Hello I want to buy these dropouts. Is there any available? What is the price?

Back