JD's VW Bus Conversion EV project (2 of 2)

The headway pack was getting way under-utilized, so I took it out and replaced it with this 26s PSI pack, which is enough to move it around:
file.php

The Headway pack ended up in my Vectrix instead, here is a VIDEO of the migration:

[youtube]UXsPEp0gXqo[/youtube]

Link to build the Vectrix build thread:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17071&start=60

The Bus has been through a lot of changes this year. It used to have 8kwh of Headway 38120S cells, which I rebuilt into a 45s5p (164v/50ah) pack and installed it in my Vectrix eMoto. That left me without a way to move it back and forth for street cleaning.

At that time, I had just purchased 26 new-old-stock 10ah PSI cells for pennies on the dollar here, when "Cycle Nine" went out of business. These 10ah PSI/BMI/Lifebutt cells are large and heavy (the size of the Headway 40138 16ah cells) but I have seen discharge ratings from 14c to 20c, depending on who is inventing data at the time. The Bus's Kelly controller is rated at 500a, but that is motor side, it actually pulls no more than 250a from the battery, a 25c load for a 10ah cell. Since it only spikes at 250a as the bus starts to roll, and the cells were dirt cheap, I built a 26s1p pack with them, and they have been doing great ever since.

file.php

A few weeks after I built the battery, I came across Robb Protheroe from pluginsupply.com selling 140 PSI cells on ebay. 48 were new, 92 allegedly used less than 10 cycles, but they were also dirt cheap and would work great in the Bus. I was stupid enough to buy them off ebay to get the bulk discount, and after a few days of promises he came back to me, saying FedEx was too difficult to ship with, and he needed more money to ship it LTL. I was peeved, but he already had my money, and it was still cheap, so I caved and sent him another $150.

It took me a while to go through the cells, and found the bottommost box in the carton of "new" cells was missing 4 cells, and (2) were used had a broken pole. A few more cells had low voltage and fast self-discharge. There was supposed to be a set of pair of "lego blocks", a Bus Bar, and set of nuts/washers for each cell. Unfortunately, a bunch of the lego blocks were smashed to pieces, and the shipment was short on Bus Bars and nuts. So I had to pay $150 more than we agreed, and I was short 6 cells and parts.

000_IMG_9881.jpg

005_IMG_0040.JPG

010_IMG_1422.jpg

015_IMG_1427.jpg

016_photo_3.JPG

017_photo_4.JPG

018_IMG_1777.jpg

020_IMG_1514.jpg

022_photo_2.JPG

030_IMG_1629.jpg

035_IMG_1632.jpg

040_IMG_1634.jpg

041_IMG_1775.jpg

045_IMG_1722.jpg

050_IMG_1721.jpg

055_IMG_1724.jpg

065_IMG_1869.jpg

070_IMG_1882.jpg

075_IMG_1881.jpg

080_IMG_1893.jpg

The old Headway pack that matched ICE performance was configured as only 30s, but these three sub packs are 36s, so it will see more voltage than it ever did before. When the 4th pack is built, it will be a full 48s, a 60% power bump.

The controller is rated to 180v, and a 48s pack will come off the charger at 175v. However, after the fluff charge burns off, the pack should be around 164. I have enough cells to make a 4s3p (12v) booster pack that I might add to increase power and range, but that could well be more continous watts than the controller can handle.

The 4 sub-packs will tuck neatly into the space between the front seats, unlike the headways layout that consumed the whole floor of the bus. It will weigh 144lbs, making the bus even lighter too. Unforutunately, 4kw is not much for a car pack, and I still don't know the WH/M this giant vehicle consumes. If it is 333wh/m, it will have a 10 mile range, but I think it will consume much more - in the worst case 1,000wh/m will only give me a three mile range.

I'll be content if I can just drive this to the beach like I did in its ICE days, and park with the side door open to the water. The beach is less than a mile, but I have big hills on the way, so it is all up in the air. If not, at least I got to see how the bus runs at 144v, and the 4kw pack would be ample in a NEV like a GEM.

It is hard to believe that we used these cells on eBikes when their only competition was a123. I remember when they were state-of-the-art, but now they seem large and bulky, and the fragile hollow terminals are annoying. The size and volume of the cells make this the LiFePO4 LFP warns us about. However, volume/weight/durability are not design criteria for this application, but low cost, inert cathode, high c rating, high cycle life, and the great modular lego-block system still make it an excellent choice.

That's beyond cool oatnet! Thanks for sharing! Would love to see some videos of running at the higher voltages when you get a chance. Doubt you remember, but I got 2 spare 1970s for parts a few years ago (photo somewhere in this thread) and was going to go electric with one of them. Realizing I couldn't afford that I "bartered" them last month for a year's free supply of beer. 8) Seemed like a good idea at the time. Haha. Ironically I'm now negotiating 6 months worth of said free beer for some much needed wrench time on my '72 bay camp mobile, which is still my baby.

Someday I'll go electric still though... :)

http://blackstarbeer.com/blog/heating-up-whitefish-montana/#/read

Thanks for the kind words, pwbset! The pics of your babies are at the top of this page, sorry to see them go but glad you got good barter from them. I'll be testing, posting videos and data after I finish the 4th battery and get the bus up to a full 144v (175v off the charger). I want to feel the full difference between the new 48s pack and the old 26s I was running at, so till then I'm just moving back and forth across the street. :mrgreen:

I got the three built batteries into the bus last weekend. I also removed the old wood tray that I build for the headways, so this was the first time I have seen the (dirty) carpet underneath it in a couple of years. It is sooooo nice to have that space back! I didn't realize what an obstacle the battery placement was, until it wasn't.

090_IMG_2011.JPG

View attachment 1

-JD

If you have been keeping up on the a123 module thread (click here), you already know I bought (1) 28s3p and (3) 7s3p modules, to make a 49s3p pack for the VoltsBus. That is 178.85v hot off the balancer, 60ah, 9,702wh@3.3v nominal, 7,761wh usable at an 80% DOD.

I installed that pack in the bus today, and took it out for a spin, stopping at the beach for the first time since it was gas-powered, stopped at the video store on the way back. I covered 4.4 miles, and consumed 1,977wh (12.1ah), so incredibly the bus only used 450wh/mile! I was mostly doing 30-35mph along surface streets, but there are steep hills along the route, so I was expecting 1,000wh/m, 450whm is was quite pleasing.

I did have some trouble on the way back. I was cruising up the steep hill, put it in third gear, and heard a wierd grinding sound - picturing the clutch hub coming free of the shaft. I had plenty of momentum to carry me up the hill to the light, and when it went green, everything was fine, no noise, plenty of power. Shortly thereafter, I'm going up a gradual hill but accellerating hard, I put it in third again, weird sound again, and I lost driving force. Voltage fine, but no amps, which makes me think of an EV problem that belies the grinding sound I thought was clutch.

I run out of momentum 30' from the crest of a hill I could have coasted on home from. Hop out, check the controller, I can feel a spot of heat on the huge aluminum cooling plate so it might have just gotten hot and tripped the thermal... So I power off the controller - takes a long time to drop to 0v from 162v - but when I turned it back on, I had power!

Because of the power-off, I lost stats on vmin, but when I got to the beach, my aMax was 185a, and my vMin was 154.0, or 3.14v/cell. Resting voltage was a rock-steady 162.7v both at the beach and when I got home, or 3.32v/cell. This power is conducted through @25' of 4/0 cable to the controller. I think the 48s PSI pack dropped to 120v on a 250a load.

CLICK HERE to see a 360 panorama of Voltsbus at the beach. If you are on a smart phone or tablet, hit gyroscope to see the 360 even better!

_IMG_2537.jpg

a_IMG_3680.JPG

file.php

b_IMG_3679.JPG

c_IMG_3696.JPG

View attachment 8

e_IMG_3704.JPG

f_IMG_3705.JPG

k_IMG_3703.JPG

g_IMG_3708.JPG

h_IMG_3710.JPG

i_IMG_3730.JPG

j_IMG_3737.JPG

oatnet you're my f-ing hero man. so cool!! you could easily fit 2-3 of those packs in the bus and probably get decent range. $$$ I'm sure, but still... sofa king cool man!

Great to see those modules working well without too much hassle. What's your long term balancing/BMS plan for them?

that thing is cool man !!!..

i'm amazed you bolted all those together and only snapped 1 lug !

it's pain too.. in order to remove a cell, you have to remove the blocks from an entire side !!!... ( is why i made my PSI packs in 24v chunks ) .. thse PSI cells are a real deal 5C cell, they will do 10 but sag badly at that level and get HOT.. imo.

Ypedal said:
that thing is cool man !!!..

i'm amazed you bolted all those together and only snapped 1 lug !

it's pain too.. in order to remove a cell, you have to remove the blocks from an entire side !!!... ( is why i made my PSI packs in 24v chunks ) .. thse PSI cells are a real deal 5C cell, they will do 10 but sag badly at that level and get HOT.. imo.

Hand tightening with a socket was the key, and watching the spring washer compress helped. I really hope I don't have to replace cells anytime soon. :| The 250a demand from the Kelly controller, 8c+, got them hot enough for me to smell them, mighta been the hot glue I smelled instead. I agree they would be happiest at 5c/150a, but they would have done the job if I hadn't installed the a123's. Based on the 450wh/m from the beach ride, I could theoretically do 16 miles on a charge with the a123 pack... :shock:

The PSI pack is sitting in my garage now, 4.7 kw looking for me to find a new project to call home. :twisted:

Pwbset and njloof, thanks for the kind words! With quality chemistry like a123 I do periodic balancing with single cell-chargers, and bulk charge the rest of the time. I carefully baseline the pack so I know what a discharge looks like, and watch the WH on the CA to know how much juice I have left in the tank.

-JD

Edit: I just got a question about the dimensions of the new a123 modules, thought I would add links to the tons of pictures I posted on the a123 module thread. so you can see them, and I can find them later:

The first link has measurements of the 28s showing roughly:
28.00" long
9.75" tall
6.30" Wide

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=38901&start=255#p575061
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=38901&start=255#p575214
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=38901&start=285#p575820
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=38901&start=285#p575827
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=38901&start=300#p576267
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=38901&start=375#p579756
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=38901&start=390#p579938

Here HomboldtRc indicates: "The modules dimensions are 6.5" wide x 9" long x 9.5" tall"
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=38901&start=225#p574427

After the countless man-months invested in this bus project, planning designing building revising testing upgrading... I was stunned when it only took 3 hours for me to strip it from a running EV to a completely stock rolling chassis.

To be fair, I had already stripped the massive headway pack for my vectrix. But funny how our personal monuments can come down with so little effort. Trying to figure out whether to sell the motor/adaptor/controller, or use it on a new project.

Oddly, the guy came in a tow truck to pick it up, at 10:30 at night. The setting made me nervous, but he paid cash and all went well. He makes/sells biodiesel, and is going to put a diesel into it, so it will continue to be an alternative fuel bus...

I will miss this Bus, but remember our adventures together. Good luck, little bus!

-EOL

I did eventually get an email from Luis, the guy who bought it. Looks like he did a lot of work to clean it up, majorly buffed it out etc, his pics are below. He reports he put another VW motor in it, and his kids love going to the beach in it. I let it go cheap to move it fast, so it really warms my heart to see this good-kharma bus getting the use, attention, and care it deserved, instead of slowly deteriorating on my street, only moving from one side to another for street cleaning.

The EV parts are being used in another project, which I am not ready to post about yet, but will be its own dedicated thread with a pointer back to this page. I'm always happy to answer questions, but sadly now that I no longer own the bus, and don't really know the guy who bought it, I am not likely to have anything new to update on this thread. If you are desperate for input you could always peruse the thread linked in my signature to view a number of my favorite projects!

-JD

IMG_20121209_143117_800.jpg

IMG_20121209_143059_800.jpg

IMG_20121209_143132_800.jpg

Soooo 2009, but imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! :lol: Everything about theirs is cleaner, although mine had a camper top. :confused:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/31159/this-1972-volkswagen-type-2-bus-is-actually-powered-by-an-e-golf-electric-motor

81168154-8363-41BA-B496-236E921F532F.jpeg
951D0ACB-9626-4E81-A8DE-0236645E00FB.jpeg

fechter said:
Is yours still running?

Batteries have improved quite a bit since then.

Hi Fechter!

I sold the Bus's chassis a few years back, and redeployed the 9" motor/controller/a123 cells to in my 1000lb Dune Buggy https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50717 (which is now up for sale). The original Headway cells from the Voltsbus were rebuilt into a pack for my Vectrix motorcycle, which I eventually gave to a friend in Malibu, but his house was destroyed in brush fires 2 years ago and the vectrix along with it.

The Bus's chassis is now worth 20x what I sold it for. :roll:

Maybe I should have held onto it: :lol:

"This 1978 Volkswagen Microbus Really Sold for Six Figures
Low miles and a Westfalia kit contributed to this Bus's perfect sales storm."

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/1978-volkswagen-campmobile-bus-type2-auction-price-info-pictures/

oatnet said:
"This 1978 Volkswagen Microbus Really Sold for Six Figures
Low miles and a Westfalia kit contributed to this Bus's perfect sales storm."

Amazing. I'd much rather have a Tesla for that much money.

Back