I know it might have been discussed before
but it's hard to search for WHours
My question is what is your usage of Wh per kilometer
On flat with minimal wind,tires pumped to 50PSI
SPEEED 20-30mph
Anybody?

For comparison
Only riders who has Cycle Analist can really read Wh/km from screen after ride
Electrical energy I am interested in electrical energy used on your rides no theory
Article you link to is very wide in scope

I'll let you convert to km yourself. I use between 50 to up to 80 Wh/mile.
takign it easy I can keep it below 40.

5304 in 26 inch rim at 90 amp battery limit. 18 FET lyen controller at 84 volt 20Ah lipo

It will vary greatly from 20 to 30 mph.

In wh/mi, it could be 25 for 20 mph, but 35-40 for 30 mph.

me between 30 and 50 Wh/km, depending on the terrain (love hill climbing), acceleration (city driving), starting battery capacity, ambient temperature, and the number of pedestrians on the road..... :evil:

You will definitely eat a lot of Wh when pulling 90A at 20S Lipo. At a constant speed of 45kmh on the flat, I estimate it would be around 20Wh/km. But I almost never drive like that, so it is not a fair comparison....

That what I need real life numbers
What CA does is simple calculation
Wh figures can be comparable from ebike to ebike for sure
if they are both ridden on flat , no wind or min wind, tires pumped at same PSI
what else? rolling resistance
I don't care how these Wh are delivered /lower voltage higher amps or higher voltage lower amps/
Whours are Whours

For a very hilly urban commute max speed 20 I get 37 whrs/mile(23whrs/km). No regen.

That must be a steep hilly ride 23. I first thought what? then saw the comment about hills and where you live.

I have found though, that you can climb hills in a way that results in little loss of range. The key thing is to get up the hill without heating the motor. Then even without regen, you get enough free ride back down it to make up for it.

It's climbing with lower power, and pedaling enough to keep the rpms up so you don't heat the motor. Works on lesser grades, like 8% or less.

For me the biggest variation in wh/mi is caused by wind. This is the season I could be riding into 40-50 mph gusts. No techique will cut your losses if riding into a storm front getting 60 wh/mi on an upright bike. Even a good tuck isn't enough. Get that same wind from the back though, and you might get 5 wh/mi.

I'm pretty wasteful for several reasons at 37whrs/mile, including:
I actually stop at the many stop signs I cross.
My pack gives me capacity to spare on my commute, so there isn't much reason to economize (real Americans understand what I mean). At these levels of power consumtion, it just doesn't matter.
I like the simplicity of no regen. (I'm not so fond of replacing brake pads).
I use the hilly streets to avoid traffic. I could go around Twin Peaks (the hill with the landmark Sutro tower) but prefer to go over. Also this increases my average speed because I don't exceed 20mph going up, but aren't legally restricted going back down hill.
We tend to have wind, especially at the top of the hill.

My 9c 2807 on a heavy bike with top speed of about 24-25 mph usually got me around 25 wh/mile. my 9c 2808 on a heavy bike with top speed of 23-24 mph was usually about 22 wh/mile. On my 9c 2810 I could get down to about 15 wh/mile with top speed of 22 mph. On my xlyte 5304 I was at about 50 wh/mile with top speed of 30 mph. All of these are commuting figures, so i spent most of the time at top speed but with stops and starts, hills, etc.

Can I ask for some of you guys to share how many miles you get on a charge (without pedal assist) and the size of the battery pack? Maybe average speed would help too.

Reason I ask is cause I'm about to pull the trigger on $700 of parts to build my first ebike. I have 360Whrs of sub C NiMh batteries that are in fair condition that were donated to me that I'd like to use before making the jump to li-polys

with a 20Ah 84 volt pack of Nano Tech lipo (1680 Whrs) I used to get easily 25 miles, average speed of 20 to 25..peaking at about 35 to 40 mph
Battery currents averaging around 30 amps..peaking at 80 to 90 amps.

now the pack is older, still get 18 to 20 miles if I am careful

Range will depend entirely on wind resistance.

For upright bikes, perhaps with some panniers catching wind, tall handlebars, I can give you some ballpark numbers for how many watts a certain speed takes. Add or subtract 200-300w for a slight uphill grade, or much headwind. Rolling hills tend to even out, coasting down almost for free even without regen. Many stop signs or lights can also eat up 20% of your range compared to rides with a stop only every couple miles.

No pedaling.
15 mph, as low as 200w. So the math would be at 15 mph your 300w of usable battery should last an hour and a half of riding. So 22 miles maximum, then subtract for wind, hills, stops, etc.

20 mph 400w

25 mph 650w

30mph 1000w

Just my opinion, that nimh pack is going to be a pain in the ass. you can paralell them to discharge, but you must charge them in 1s strings.

I merged another new efficiency (wh/distance) thread with this one. There are a number of them around; as I find them I will try to merge each with the older ones, if the data is applicable. Then I will sticky that thread, so it can continue to be found for future use. I've also moved it to Polls & Surveys, as that is where most data collection should happen anyway. It is best if all the data could be kept in one place, so that people can find and compare more easily.

One of the oldest with lots of data is here:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48191

I also am compiling a wiki entry with links to lots of discussions (and lists) of them here:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/Efficiency_Discussions

Hopefully all of this will help people find the information they need.

Huh?

I accelerate at least twice as quickly on my ebike compared to my non-electrified bicycle. By myself I can do 300W burst and 150W continuous. The pitiful (by others' standard) additional 200 - 300W provided by the motor turns me into a super-cyclist.

SamTexas said:
Huh?

I accelerate at least twice as quickly on my ebike compared to my non-electrified bicycle. By myself I can do 300W burst and 150W continuous. The pitiful (by others' standard) additional 200 - 300W provided by the motor turns me into a super-cyclist.

This is in relation to the throttle. You twist the throttle so you get to your ideal more slowly than you could. To illustrate, a contrast might be a person using (wide open throttle) WOT to get to their aimed speed. You use much less throttle to get there.

Back