Custom_CHRoMo_CRuiSER

Care package heading to points west in tomorrow's mail....(or is it Far East as y'all are a day ahead of us here :p )

Blown controller suck.
Just glad nothing burned....other than the ears of anyone in AJ's neighborhood within ear shot when the cussing started :lol:

Always one more thing.

LoL Jay...yeah and its the second controller i blown not in use, guess how many controllers i have actually blown while riding (aside from that pissy 12fet you broke) NONE! I have yet to blow a RC ESC under riding condistions and lets face it a 12fet on a 80-100 stock wind aint gunna happen for long... How many controllers you blown up whilst riding buddy hrmz? how manyz?

Hyena said:
*imagines full throttle in a dark room with a flickering light in an abandoned warehouse, giving orders to an assistant in Russian while he puts on a pair of gloves and starts to take the controller apart* :lol:

HAHA... he definitely needs a skantly clad FEMALE assistant i think!

Thud said:
Care package heading to points west in tomorrow's mail....(or is it Far East as y'all are a day ahead of us here :p )

Blown controller suck.
Just glad nothing burned....other than the ears of anyone in AJ's neighborhood within ear shot when the cussing started :lol:

Always one more thing.

Yeah always one more thing i guess this could be seen as a blessing in disguise Todd, if the controller was shorted to the frame all this time it could of ended worse... big FiRE!

Yeah i think the neighbours are used to my foul mouth by now had alot of it since i started with rc helis and then e-bikes one thing i suck majorily at happens to be a major part of both hobbies ELECTRONICS!! One saving grace, i can solder ok so should be able to get the kit assembled and your go fast goodies from the 18fet on it if need be...those ceramic caps on the rails underneath must be added!

Appreciate getting the kit off Todd ;)

KiM

AussieJester said:
How many controllers you blown up whilst riding buddy hrmz? how manyz?
Would you believe me if I said none ?
The only controller I recall blowing was a cheap yum cha one years ago I'd shunt modded to silly levels and a fet popped as I rolled it out of my garage.

Got a pic of the board with thuds mods ? Or are they top secret ?

No secrets Jay,
Credit methods & Stevo.

Just imagine these mods on a fresh 18fet unit.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47512#p696560

Method's led the way with cap sandwiches, that help tame the bashing a HOBO delivers to the fet's

We stay on the light side of shunt modding, to try & maintain some parity to the settings programmed with XPD.

Big friggin wire, beefy traces, proper surfacing on all the heat sinking joining faces....just trying to execute a clean build with max attention to the little details.

Need to get some real conformal coating......

Hyena said:
Would you believe me if I said none ?

Nope, i wouldn't you blew my 12fet up twice!! LMAO

Plus i recall a long walk home due to a blown controller, im sure i could dig up more if i searched :p

Heres an underside shot of the 'top secret' 18fet Thuds/meth/steveo build-->

Just took this for our Rusky Aussie mad scientist :)

KiM

pendragon8000 said:
My controller came up blinging with a spider man tooth brush and the isopropyl. I used enamel spray to coat it after.
Very good advice. I always clean mine with IPA and paint with conformal coating. Protects from water and shorts.

We gave it a proper wash lol & a carful inspection under large magnification, But nothing resembling painting or protective coating...other than some nomex insulation sheet under the board at final ass'y.
Hadn't considered spray paint...I was looking for some expensive silicone based stuff....duh.

The surf boards are simple to make with surface mount ceramic caps.
Hers a set for my 6 fet project before heat shrink
SAM_0133_zps78b24d99.jpg

They are expensive at $2+ a copy

If I have a gift for any thing, it picking the right folks to plagiarize.

AussieJester said:
Nope, i wouldn't you blew my 12fet up twice!! LMAO
Bah that's your shitty controller with your shitty sewing machine motor, it doesn't count :p

Plus i recall a long walk home due to a blown controller, im sure i could dig up more if i searched :p
I dont recall any long walks home due to controllers, but I'm happy to be corrected if you want to go digging. Chemo has made my memory very fuzzy these days and I frequently forget things :|
I've had a few walks of shame but I think they were due to flats or melted phase wires/plugs or something.
I've only ever broken one motor (which was more mechanical and I could have fixed it but I'm lazy) and the above mentioned controller.

Cool Thud, it's important to copy the right people, you don't want to go replicating the work of any old shmuck :lol:

AussieJester said:
Farfle said:
Looking good! I think our bikes are just about even progress wise, although your probably ahead, mine still needs the motor mounted.

Thanks Farfle, I have been following your thread closely (as i always
do your work is top notch kudos
) This new build of yours is yet
another bar raiser! Looking forward to seeing the finished product
will look like something off a showroom floor im thinking, Best of
luck with the rest of the fab work mate...

Spicerack said:
Nice Kim, nice.

Thanks Andy, should be killer fast to ~90km/hr catch me if you can ex-fuzz maaan teehehe :mrgreen:

Wheazel said:
This is a very nice build! I like that you fabricate so much with just sheetmetal/tubing.

Thanks matey appreciate it, not all that hard though just a lil time consuming...

Wheazel said:
One thing I am curious about is the layout of the frame.
The look of it is appealing, but how did you decide positioning of handlebars
seat and pedals with regard to each other and the wheels?

I worked out the distances for the first frame, the seat distance from the
frame was the only real measurement i used IIRC 600mm from center
of seat to bottom bracket... YPedalMaN gave
me the measurement waaaay back on another build i continued using
this as it suited my leg length.. :wink:

Wheazel said:
Did you decide on a preferred seating position
for your own body, and then make a layout from that? Did you make any
changes from the first chopperframe?

Being a paraplegic, i required a laid back seating position, with a not to high seat height
so i can transfer from wheelchair to bike reasonably easily. This seating position is
just the average crank forward though, you see it on other cruisers nothing ground breaking.
I did make changes actually, what i did before selling the old frame was do a CAD drawing
i.e Card Board Aided Design LoL i did a full scale trace of the frame extending the new frame by approximately an inch. I have kept the CAD drawing
for future use if ever needed to...FYI:- (1000w) Matt.P :p

flyinmonkie said:
Looking good Kim as always. Liking the progress. I'm down to body filler and paint, but ridding too much to do it.
Clay

Thankyou Clay, should come together a little faster now, im dividing my
time between my Garage and the missus, taking some time out so it gives
me heap more time to work on the bike ;) Handful of 'booty calls'
the only distraction LoL :p 8)

UPDate!

I got to work on the panel that will 'house' the 72v 15ah LiPO pack yesterday
unfortunately i left my cuttoff disks at the workshop at my place
so was stuck with a half used disk to completely cut the panel
i got most of the outside done, obviously still requiring the center to
be cut out, right angle ali bolted to the surrounding cut out, this will form both
a flat base for the LiPO pack to sit on and provide 'stiffening' to the panel.
I also will surround the opening with some CF (carbon fiber) ill use the old
battery panel for this, its otherwise useless as i no longer have the old frame...
waist not want not i always say or as Amberwolf would put it
're-purposing' hehe.. I will make a plexi housing for the
pack also...but for now this is where i am at with it-->

View attachment 6

^^ Again some 'CAD' to get the profile of the frame/panel within some sort of similarity :oops:

Took me an hour or so of faffing about getting a shape i was happy with, still some 'shaping'
required, this wont be the final product by a long shot im thinking LoL...Its cut from 3mm T5 ali FYi..

View attachment 5

I picked up some beffy right angle ali for the battery support, shall cut the opening and begin fitting
out the panel today.

To hold the panel in place ill use some nice CF brackets/tabs-->

View attachment 4

View attachment 3

Third time right! i hope LoL.. frock have i ballsed up the fitting of halls on the Turnigy CA120 motor or more
so the slots in the stator where the halls were to be placed aaaargh anywayz, with some guidence from
guru ThuDSTeR i think i have it set right now, i will run wires and connectors today and try and
spin the motor slowly with an old non programable 36v controller i got from Hyena a few years ago.
No idea if it will work but its all i have at this precise moment in time until the 18Fet Infineon Thud has offered
to build for this bike arrives...

View attachment 2

I did the slots previously before i wound the motor as its rather
difficult/fiddly to do ounce wound, i used the good ol dremel and a diamond bit to hack away a recess
to fit halls in, they actually better than the first ones i did so bit of a blessing. The concave area
allows the halls to seat nicely, little industrial grade epoxy and wholla!!

I also have an issue (Rodgah had same problem on his stainless steel cuiser IIRC?) I'm not
using the old extra wide sturmey archer three speed as i did in the previous build, i have an extra
wide steel hub from choppersUS unfortunatey though, the disk brake sprocket adapter from Mr Recumpence SiR
has a slight tapper on it and thus fouls on the hub before its fully seated SO i am making a
spacer from 3mm ali plate hopfully this will work if not Matt.P (1000w) said he can pop it on the lathe at a friends
workshop and rectify the problem at hand-->

View attachment 1

Thats all i have for now chaps, thanks for the kind words and encouragement, should have some more
to offer up later this arvo for those following the build..

happy trails y'all.. 8)

KiM
hi mate, just wondering how to work out were to put the halls? and how accurate do they have to be? im quite inspired to use a big outrunner on my next project/build.
thanks

Soz MR Pendragon dude, only just seeing your post now when i came to update the worklog
The halls are at the beginning of each phase and need to be prety spot on ... i used a dremel
clone to make recesses for the halls, very simple even when the motor was rewound wih thicker
than stock wire...

UPDATE!!! I know right, been awhile...well my controller building skillz it has to be said are
not up to scratch, hands up who didn't see that coming?!/?! LoL Soooo after much
deliberation, procrastination, beer drinking and choof...Toolman2 finally persuaded
me Kelly controller would be the tits and survive the ordeal it will be presented with.
Toolman has been running the quickest Downhill MTB i have ever seen its powered
by a rewound Turnigy CA120 and a Kelly controller, better yet hes been onto Kelly
to write CA120 friendly firmware!! So after a phone call to Toolman2 and a quick
email to Fany (yeah its bloke haha poor frocker) I have a 8kw Kelly on route
loaded with aforementioned firmware!

http://kellycontroller.com/keb72800x24v-72v350a8kw-bike-brushless-controller-p-280.html

^^This be the controller i bought...should make this CA120 PiiiIIiiiisiiss
or melt....or both<--most likely both LOL Should be fun for the fist 5
minutes anywayz haha Hope to be up and running forthe ride with the bois
downing the east west e-bike ride end of August...

Shall report back soon i hope

KiM

EDiT: wanted to ad a link to Toolman2 whipping a KTM 250cc 2 stroker offroad! on his Turnigy CA120 2 speed
equipped MTB

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=50518&hilit=ca+120+two+stroke

The Kelly controller landed yesterday!!! Its HUGE haha wont go close to fitting
where the 18Fet Infineon sat i will need to offset the linear actuator to gain necessary
clearance "thickness wise" even then its going to be tight fitting inside the manual
pedal chain sprocket. Length is also cloooosse will fit but not alot of room for wiring
I need the controller mounted "within" the frame for stealth purposes, i could simply
ghetto it up and hang it off the front downtube but it would look faaaarked..I also picked
up my Burtie Timing board which i with the help of CHRiS (jonescg) on Friday,
will hopefully hook up so the motor timing can be 'played with' ..I also have
Zombies throttle tamer to wire in, if we can get it all working should be
a severely smooth accelerating setup...::Fingers crossed:: well until the
controller melts my beautifully custom wound CA120 into a pile of molten
goo...should be a fun 10 minutes though right!!!

Wish us luck... get this running this Turnigy CA120 and Rodney64 aint going
to see which way i went LOL :p Seriously, hope to have it reliable and
ready for Voicecoils visit West to start his cross country e-bike trek..

Back soon chaps

KiM

Looking good.
Lets hope it runs long enough to wear out a chain.....or gives some one a road rash & a hero's story to tell :mrgreen:

Love ya work there Kim... Kelly style hey!

Keep us updated and if I'm around for the ride I'll be there! Might be changing jobs soon so we shall see...

AussieJester said:
get this running this Turnigy CA120 and Rodney64 aint going
to see which way i went LOL :p
Yeah but all and sundry will be able to hear which way you went :p

Seriously, hope to have it reliable
That a boy, dream big :mrgreen:

Pics!

AussieJester said:
The Kelly controller landed yesterday!!! Its HUGE haha wont go close to fitting
where the 18Fet Infineon sat i will need to offset the linear actuator to gain necessary
clearance "thickness wise" even then its going to be tight fitting inside the manual
pedal chain sprocket. Length is also cloooosse will fit but not alot of room for wiring
I need the controller mounted "within" the frame for stealth purposes, i could simply
ghetto it up and hang it off the front downtube but it would look faaaarked..I also picked
up my Burtie Timing board which i with the help of CHRiS (jonescg) on Friday,
will hopefully hook up so the motor timing can be 'played with' ..I also have
Zombies throttle tamer to wire in, if we can get it all working should be
a severely smooth accelerating setup...::Fingers crossed:: well until the
controller melts my beautifully custom wound CA120 into a pile of molten
goo...should be a fun 10 minutes though right!!!

Wish us luck... get this running this Turnigy CA120 and Rodney64 aint going
to see which way i went LOL :p Seriously, hope to have it reliable and
ready for Voicecoils visit West to start his cross country e-bike trek..

Back soon chaps

KiM

I have a spare hub motor and 12 fet controller Kim if you can't get it running.

Rodney64 said:
I have a spare hub motor and 12 fet controller Kim if you can't get it running.

Bwawhhh hahhh hahhhhahahahah!!!

Love it.

Hey KIm, I've also got a half knackered MAC rear hubbie as well.....

Reminds me of the old saying... "I would rather push my Harley than ride Jap crap..."

So...I would Rather push my HOBO e-bike than ride a girlie frock powered e-bike :p

When i need a boat anchor though Rodney, your the man ill come see ;-P

KiM

AussieJester said:
I would Rather push my HOBO e-bike than ride a girlie frock powered e-bike :p

Better get yourself one of these shirts then too :mrgreen:

welcome_to_the_gun_show_t_shirt-r3fe0e1bf08c948f99b33f7fc89d249a6_804gs_512.jpg

Dont need the shirt Jay, i got the REAL thing buddy... keep lifting
you'll get thee too :mrgreen: you still arm curling lil front Cute frocks?
or have you upped the weight to a MAC yet? bet you dream of
the day you can curl a 9C hey!! ....agh Dream BiG that a boy :p

KiM

haha I think you're confusing me with someone else :p
This is my latest frockmotor, I reckon she'd rip a tidy little burnout if it wasnt for the the tyres being so expensive.

[youtube]ZxK5skaCTJM[/youtube]

Hyena said:
This is my latest frockmotor, I reckon she'd rip a tidy little burnout if it wasnt for the the tyres being so expensive.

WoW.. nice wobble...who did you get to lace the wheel? Just so i dont make the mistake
of using the same guy!

KiM

AussieJester said:
Hyena said:

WoW.. nice wobble...who did you get to lace the wheel? Just so i dont make the mistake
of using the same guy!

KiM

HaHa Kim, yes interesting times head but looking forward to the challenge.

Back