Frockfest

Nice investigations tesla.
full-throttle said:
Not sure about everyone, but I'm not a big fan of NASCAR style. How bout routing the course through the flat as well?
Yeah nascar = boring and the same would apply to ebike racing around a loop. Not to mention that place would end up a bloody thunderdome of carnage with that bank on it :lol: But yeah, incorporating some of it with a mapped out course in the centre could be 4TW. You'd need it to stop raining for long enough that the bottom wasn't filled with atleast some water / mud - and good luck with that happening in Melbourne over winter :lol:

There's next to no skill required and basically the guy with the highest voltage, faster wind motor is going to win.
Plus high speed = increased danger IMO. There's a proper cycle track near me that is a prime smooth surface to race on (it's where all the lycras race and play) but again it's largely a big loop so you're just doing sustained high speeds with the odd bit of slowing down for a corner. I use it as a testing / proving ground of sorts, I've had my bike up to 95km/hr on it but it's not really the sort of track I'd find interesting to race on. Unless it's stirring up lyrcas :p :twisted: (I think this was posted earlier in this thread )

You summed it up Jay . The banks are too steep . A lot steeper than it looks in the pics . Takes serious balls to hold it wide open along the sides with a fear the front will go any second , a recipe for disaster if a race was held around it . The ends are no prob though .

Strava track or GTFO.

You know you want to.
file_18_52.jpg

I am not against nascar style racing. limit the CA's to like 1000w or even 750 or something and let's go... "control" racing.. that would make things interesting especially if we have a bunch of cones on the straights so they are not straights etc.,,

Also FYI there are two other velodromes one at coburg behind the bunnings, and another on the Merri Creek Bike trail.. I have strava plots for them both will post when I get time.. Not now..

The are nice and close for me so it's an option..

And I think there is an abandoned go kart track somewhere along the western ring road service road, in between sydney road and pascoe vale road.. maybe an option if we can get in.. legally (call someone??)

I like the idea of a go kart track. motard style.. wicked.
Andy

Animalector said:
I think there is an abandoned go kart track somewhere along the western ring road service road, in between sydney road and pascoe vale road
Can't find it..
Found a dirt jump track though (cnr Keith cres). And there's another that looks even better (200mm south off Lorraine cres)

Hyena said:
Nice investigations tesla.
full-throttle said:
Not sure about everyone, but I'm not a big fan of NASCAR style. How bout routing the course through the flat as well?
Yeah nascar = boring and the same would apply to ebike racing around a loop. Not to mention that place would end up a bloody thunderdome of carnage with that bank on it :lol:
Yeah thats how I feel too, tight bends it are what make tracks challenging and fun, the more I have thought about it the more I think the Altona track is quite hard to beat.

Really ? That was too cryptic too ? I thought that'd be fairly obvious
Sapim and DT swiss are some of the biggest spoke manufacturers and the better halls sensors are made by honeywell.
Dirt jumping on a hub motor is likely to result in the breaking of both spokes and halls - hence those companies would sponsor the event as you'd be breaking their "consumables"
I better stick to toilet humor huh ? :p

Jay, of all people, you come up with the high-brow stuff :? :p

Nice pic mang. Which suburb?

Perhaps we should just evolve into cyclocross.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclocross

I think that is a cyclocross location.
Ah hell. The weirdest of lycras.
...Seductive isn't it.

I think I found a new frockfest powerplant. Should be good for a few gigawatts:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-holes-starter-Electric-Start-motor-50cc-110cc-125cc-150cc-Buggy-atv-quad-bike-/281015158895?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item416dcf086f

looking around, Sydney road at craigeburn there is a go kart track that has on their website a $30 per hour to race your own kart. seems to me that for 30 an hour they may not care what is on the track. Could contact them to check if they wouldn't mind an electric motard event. Maybe. people's thoughts on this?
Andy

On a side note I'm thinking a friday yarra night ride and a few beers from Fed Square to the Mountain Goat Brewery in Richmond might be fun in the next few weeks. I'll add an event if there's a show of interest.

Thought I would bump this thread to lift the head of Melbourne ebikers as Winkinatcha has started a new Melbourne group ride thread! http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=53202&sid=5be598a3d3d9471a64bd4f8d4a07d3b6#p791371

Hyena said:
In the hot expansive Karakum desert in Turkmenistan is a hole 328 feet wide that has been on fire for over 40 years years. The hole is the outcome not of nature but of an industrial accident. In 1971 a Soviet drilling rig accidentally punched into a massive underground natural gas cavern, causing the ground to collapse and the entire drilling rig to fall in. Having punctured a pocket of gas, poisonous fumes began leaking from the hole at an alarming rate. To head off a potential environmental catastrophe, the Soviets set the hole alight. The crater hasn't stopped burning since.

(From March, 2013.)

STILL burning:
http://inhabitat.com/the-gates-of-h...n-turkmenistan-have-been-ablaze-for-41-years/

(EVen has its own Wiki thingee now:)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Door_to_Hell

Back