Farfle's electromotard. Mk. 4

The bike is making an odd noise... I think that the nose bearing(s) are taking a dump, so I may be replacing them in the near future. I'm thinking about machining a bearing into the sprocket, and literally putting four bearings end to end in the nosecone. So five bearings total in the motor.

Ill post pictures when I pull it apart

Got an update from Farfle last night. He took the bike apart to paint the frame and found out there was about 6 oz. of water on the inside of the frame. Fortunately the protective oil coating from the factory was still on, so no rust on the inside. He also welded some more tubing onto the swingarm and is redoing the dropouts so they are shorter and thicker.

mjMgctJ.jpg

Fjyw1bt.jpg

WLMZYj3.jpg

Nice looking drops!

liveforphysics said:
Nice looking drops!

Thanks man, its amazing how much time you can spend on building one silly set of parts :roll: .
A quick update on the last teardown and rebuild before we double the horsepower and head to refuel.
On the list of things to do is:

Rebuild the motor with bigger higher quality bearings on the chain side.

Trade to MSR regina 415H chain

Install a set of thermistors for the liquid cooling system.

Rebuild the dropouts with thicker higher quality steel - done

Replace the swingarm bearings.

Get all of the battery tie-down straps installed

Rebuild the controller mounts for the big Sevcon. -done

Remachine the inner hub to remove "mystery play" and relocate the sprocket outboard.

Install the rebuilt arduino liquid cooling system.

Add diagonal braces to the swingarm - done

Prep and paint the frame

It's a long list, but some of it is already done

Farfle said:
Woot! 25 Bolt on horsepower!
20130517_200018_zpse36e18cd.jpg

That's the first time I see written "Bolt on" in a sentence referring to a Sevcon...

h0tr0d said:
Farfle said:
Woot! 25 Bolt on horsepower!
20130517_200018_zpse36e18cd.jpg

That's the first time I see written "Bolt on" in a sentence referring to a Sevcon...

Yeahh, physically its a bolt on plug in. Software wise it couldn't be further than the truth.

The frame was dropped off to get sandblasted, and I got the motor rebuilt with a needle bearing, one large ball bearing and a small ball bearing on the drive side, and one new small bearing on the wire exit. It should be much more reliable now, as I only had about 2400miles on it before the old setup failed. Here's some pics of it primed and painted.

20130604_194704_zpsa0af4617.jpg

20130604_220325_zps9881d2fc.jpg

I may do a closed circuit cooling system in the future, but right now we have a new arduino controlled liquid sprayer, and about 3L of water onboard

Farfle said:
I may do a closed circuit cooling system in the future, but right now we have a new arduino controlled liquid sprayer, and about 3L of water onboard

Any pics, schematics, code, parts list, etc??? :wink:

You would have to bug bartimaeus for the exact schematic, but this pic should give a rough idea of what's involved.

20130531_103601_zpsc0412441.jpg

I'll try to get a thread started for it soon and share everything. As far as parts go though it's a 5v arduino pro mini from Sparkfun, an 8x2 character LCD, the Melexis MLX90614 IR temperature sensor (for getting the temp of the spinning case), a thermistor, and some indicating lights and a relay to control the pump, which started out as a hacked water pick but has been replaced with a pump Farfle found at a hobby shop that is used to put fuel into RC planes, although there are a lot of 12v liquid cooling pumps for computers that should also be suitable. The pump is run off of the BAMF power supply that Farfle got for driving his headlights.

Looking good.
BUT....I just noticed, ridged foot pegs?

You can do better than that. You may feel it will never be an issue....but if one catches in a slide it guaranties a crash...& in a nasty crash if a bike ends up on top of a rider, he will want the most safety you can give him.

Any big race that may have a tech inspection will send you home.

Thud said:
Looking good.
BUT....I just noticed, ridged foot pegs?

You can do better than that. You may feel it will never be an issue....but if one catches in a slide it guaranties a crash...& in a nasty crash if a bike ends up on top of a rider, he will want the most safety you can give him.

Any big race that may have a tech inspection will send you home.

I agree with you, folding pegs give a ton of advantages, rider safety being key, AND ill need to have them to race, so they are getting done anyway.

But let me be the devils advocate for a sec, and list some pros of the non folding pegs.

First off, they protect the most vulnerable part of the bike, the axle wire exit, which sits in a horribly exposed place, and means a minimum of a few hours of downtime tearing into the motor.

Second off, the bike is REALLY tall and skinny, it has 15" of ground clearance, and the pegs are only 13" outside slider to outside slider, so I would be ticked pink if you could drag a peg, as I'm pretty sure a bar end will drag first.
All that being said, I'm picking up some cheap steel folding pegs and stealing the hardware off of them, as that's a day of machining silly little parts I would love to avoid.

Also, I got the new gearing machined. The motor now has a total of five bearings in it. :twisted: One 35x47x7 on the wire exit side, and then on the sprocket side it has a 25x47x12, a 25x32x16 needle roller, and then a pair of 25x37s, one of which is literally part of the sprocket. I think I am ready for the 101 ft/lb this beasty is going to make at the shaft. :twisted: :twisted: . Right now its geared 30-72 and rev limited to an indicated 104 MPH :twisted: :twisted: .

20130609_155604_zpsf92e8202.jpg

20130609_163637_zps899a16e7.jpg

20130609_200218_zpsd66d9692.jpg

20130609_200227_zps65e775de.jpg

20130609_200247_zpse73f06bc.jpg

[youtube]9PjvzMX_4Zc[/youtube]

101 ft lbs!! That's like 200 at the tire holy crap! Niiiice!

Woo! The paint was pretty close to the leathers! Got bartimaeus on the bike in gear and got the suspension sag all set up, and I don't think ill have to trade any of the springs. Just a little shim to take up the unused 5 or so mm that is default on 2003-5 kyb forks.

The racetech suspension bible has a great section on getting a bike "roughed" and has definitely reaffirmed that suspension is one of the darkest arts. :shock: :shock: :shock:

20130612_195815_zpsd52e988f.jpg

So Farfle, when are you going after the "zero" market? This looks like good competition! I wish someone would market a true motard type bike like yours! I thought Brammo was going to but it seems they dropped the ball!

We got the bike on the dyno last night, and were able to eek out some more horsepower, but more importantly we doubled the low end torque, and shifted the peak horsepower back from 54mph to 45mph. Overall peak hp to the ground was 34 at 45 mph. 87v at 418A.

However while experimenting with its aerodynamic qualities on a truck loading ramp, we managed to shake a hall sensor loose, so we will be doing an emergency motor teardown when we get home later tonight.

[youtube]nJlV87E0878[/youtube]

Back