What can your ride climb?

Bike Xing

1 W
I would like to put together a more quantitative and less subjective picture of what kind of hills people are climbing and with what kind of bikes. If you've got some ride data from Strava or some other source, or if you went up a steep hill and you got the grade data from Google maps post it here so people have a better idea of what is possible with what. The main intent here is to build up a picture for others to come see so format is not so important, but here are some key things to include, if you have them:
Grade of hill, length of hill, bike weight, rider weight, rated motor power, nominal voltage, hill climb speed, bike details - like is it a hub motor or mid-drive, and the maximum grade you've ever climbed.
Post as many hill climbs as you can so we get an idea for different speeds, lengths, etc. Please note if values are measured or estimated.

road hill.JPGOh yeah, don't forget to note if it was on or off road.
Here's data from a road ride.
It was very windy during this ride.

The tool for this is http://www.mapmyrun.com/ to easily map a route and check its elevation:
MapMyRun-10Dec12.png
The only time my Heinzmann 500watt motor overheated and forced me to walk the bike. And it was winter! Anyway, it was a 2.42 mile trip that climed about 240 ft. I figure the grade about 15%. Any route that's new to me, I check elevations and distance to insure I'll be able to make it. If not, then its a no-go for me.

DV climb.JPG
This was a very steep climb up a dirt road near Death Valley. .2 miles at grades between 30 and 45%.

Ypedal said:
with an X5 at 100v 100 amps in a 20" rim, as long as I can keep traction, the wheel will turn.

Fast I bet too. What does it weigh? Any estimates of grade and speed?

Let's see if this works...

This is just the ride BACK I came up the trail first then started recording on the ride home, I could have gone farther but I was not sure how much I would use on the way back! I have about 12AH use able. Bike is a MAC mid mounted through the gears and will climb a wall! This ride didn't even challenge it for most of the ride, only a couple spots really even required low gear.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=212342213542489424670.0004dfbf3c0fc356de37d

If you're on an android phone, download "my tracks" and you can playback the ride as a video using Google earth!

I have an x5403 in a 26 inch rim with 3 inch kenda flames. I run one of Zombiess 24 fet 100v controllers at 300 amps.
My x5403 will pull up any grade you can keep the front down on. It will accelerate up as steep a hill as I can manage as fast as I want it too. It pushes itself up the stairs of my apartment as i walk next to it since it weighs in at over 100 pounds I bet.
I used to run a 5304 on the same bike with the same rim and tire. It is powerful on flat, but up hills would bog down. The extra stator width of the 5403 makes a huge difference in the real world stall point; it effectively removes it.

This is the toughest road I've climbed (to within a few hundred metres of the summit).

sperrin1.gif

36v MXUS gear hub, limited to 15 amps. No-load speed 25 mph. Total weight about 120 kilos. Speed for most of the climb about 8 mph.

The Archive of Europe's Climbs lists 12 tougher road climbs in Ireland, and nearly 3,880 tougher ones in Italy alone! :eek:

My first the Schwinn was in the kitchen when the remote throttle cable got snagged it quickly climbed up the counter then over to the fridge and left some nice burnout rubber on the floor as it hopped and jumped with the front wheel on the highest point of the fridge and me trying to wrestle it to the floor. Pretty exciting few seconds it was. So mine can climb the fridge how many others can say that? ;^)

bzhwindtalker said:
[youtube]dLpr9aSfHvE[/youtube]
Have a look at 1.25, that's 45°+ with little initial speed 8)
That is all glorious. Looks so fun. How much does that bike weigh? What is the range?

I like climbing without motor
its tune my body to higher life frequencies

bzhwindtalker said:
[youtube]dLpr9aSfHvE[/youtube]
Have a look at 1.25, that's 45°+ with little initial speed 8)

Did the rider let off on the throttle near the top? It looks like the bike progressively slowed down as it lost momentum. Can that bike continuously climb a slope of that grade?

skyungjae said:
I should take more video and record more data.

You should! From your other posts I gather that you are hostile toward bikes and terrain, that would be great to see.
For data recording I've been using Strava (free for Android and iOS). It has some nice features, like it estimates power output, and you get a graph of speed and grade.
I also just downloaded "My Tracks" (Android) to try out based on Whiplash's recommendation.

Kind of off topic but I need to build a phone charger for my bike because I don't get data for a lot of rides because my phone battery dies.

Haibike Ski Jump Ebike Climb 38 degrees:
[youtube]YrevB_1i5_E[/youtube]
[youtube]4DRSUgdjqoA[/youtube]

Haibike climbs stairs, etc 50%:
[youtube]oRstqBTTonk[/youtube]
[youtube]Z4W9XZUDlm8[/youtube]

Bike Xing said:
I would like to put together a more quantitative and less subjective picture of what kind of hills people are climbing and with what kind of bikes. If you've got some ride data from Strava or some other source, or if you went up a steep hill and you got the grade data from Google maps post it here so people have a better idea of what is possible with what. The main intent here is to build up a picture for others to come see so format is not so important, but here are some key things to include, if you have them:
Grade of hill, length of hill, bike weight, rider weight, rated motor power, nominal voltage, hill climb speed, bike details - like is it a hub motor or mid-drive, and the maximum grade you've ever climbed.
Post as many hill climbs as you can so we get an idea for different speeds, lengths, etc. Please note if values are measured or estimated.

Whiplash said:
Let's see if this works...

This is just the ride BACK I came up the trail first then started recording on the ride home, I could have gone farther but I was not sure how much I would use on the way back! I have about 12AH use able. Bike is a MAC mid mounted through the gears and will climb a wall! This ride didn't even challenge it for most of the ride, only a couple spots really even required low gear.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=212342213542489424670.0004dfbf3c0fc356de37d

If you're on an android phone, download "my tracks" and you can playback the ride as a video using Google earth!

"My Tracks" says the minimum grade was 105%! Too bad you didn't record this going up, it would be nice to see speed data for that direction.

Stair climbs show what looks to be a major disadvantage the pedal throttle has over a manual throttle in difficult sections. If at all timid, or slightly hesitant to pedal, it stops you dead, where as a manual throttle, you can concentrate just on balance and momentum and more easily ride up the stairs. Interesting.

My 20" 9C motor can get up 20% inclines unassisted without bogging down too much. With assistance, it can get pretty much go up any road surface.

This fact becomes far more apparent when I'm zooming past people who are trudging their bikes up the steep hills.

This motor *definitely* has far better hill-climbing performance than the old crystalyte 407 I had - that one would simply slow to stop, even while assisting, on a long 7% hill. I think it's mostly due to the fact the 9C motor has a wider hub radius and subsequently more neodymium and more torque. Might be better engineered, too.

I built this as the ultimate climber. The rear 500w CST can do about 20% on it's own, and the same for the front BPM. The GNG in the middle can do about 25% in bottom gear. I run them all off one throttle using a Cycle Analyst. This bike can climb anything as long as you can keep traction and the front wheel on the ground. It accelerates up 15% hills like they're flat up to a speed of about 25mph at 64v and 85 amps total.

[youtube]TOHSX7BCHZI[/youtube]

01:20 30% at 30kmh with 30A
02:40 30% accelerating to 40kmh with 80A
I think I did some 100% hills once, but I almost flipped over....

Range 25km
Weight 35kg (including battery)
Battery pack 20S 84V HoC 1kWh Lipo.

Back