Custom_CHRoMo_CRuiSER

AussieJester said:
EDiT Nearly forgot, i wanted to ask if you think a belt could replace the #25 chain on my bike? I think the lil #25 looks too whimpy compared to the rest of the components...thoughts?

Hi Kim,
I run a 25H chain on a electric minimoto, motor to back wheel and it its holding up very well at nearly 10hp, the gas versions minimotos that I race against are putting out around 14hp through 25H chain, as the 25H chain is part of your initial reduction It will be fine.

Not the strength im worried abut buddy, its purely aesthetic thing :)

@Rodney you dont need a Kelly mate, your bike runs fine with the crappola Infineon LoL
Either way, CHRiS is the one to ask not me, i wouldnt have got mine working if it wasn't for
CHRiS...well wouldnt have got it working that day i would have forgotten about the 12v
wire input to controller...

KiM

RE Belt drive.

It will work & there isn't a huge reduction IIRC, Your running (17-32)???
The only issue will be bordering the torque limits on the belts...wider will fix that though.

Belt wrap is the key to good performance. I would start with a 21-40 or better yet a 23-44 at least 15mm wide...20mm if you can find it.

Danny M. Is better versed in the math on the drive belt application. Lets have him chime in on it.

A 5mm pitch, 25mm wide belt would work fine. It would be a LOT quieter. But it is not really needed. Kind of like your comment on wiring, it is more of a preference thing.

I can tell you that once you get used to the smooth running of a belt, you never want to go back. :)

Matt

Thud said:
RE Belt drive.

It will work & there isn't a huge reduction IIRC, Your running (17-32)???
The only issue will be bordering the torque limits on the belts...wider will fix that though.

Belt wrap is the key to good performance. I would start with a 21-40 or better yet a 23-44 at least 15mm wide...20mm if you can find it.

Danny M. Is better versed in the math on the drive belt application. Lets have him chime in on it.

Cheers Todd, actually heading to Danny's for dinner tonight so will talk to him about it then.

@Matt...yeah I liked the belt on the recompense drive I used, had final drive belt also
Again purely a looks thing, the #25 chain works fine, noise isn't an issue for me either ...

@Roger, no need for a slipper clutch, power delivery with the Kelly is nothing like you have experienced, now back to
Your frock frolic, lol I seen more air under a snakes belly than you wetter getting in your last video, just looks like a big heavy pig of a thing if I'm honest lol.. I was just waiting for "Twang" each time you landed
Got spare spokes ROFL...........:p Cool monos though

Pissing rain again today

KiM

:roll:

fact is Im out there having a go with no issues to report. The bike weighs 35kg, it hardly feels like a pig and it would only be 3kg lighter if it were RC powered, Im sure I have taken dumps that nearly equal that :lol: . I am by no means saying shes a power house, but for doing mountainbikey things it hardly needs any more power. As for jumping, I am not really comfortable with flat landing anything more than a meter of air, I dont think you could really ask much more of a 115kg rider+bike no matter where the weight was placed. And lets be honest how many forum members have you seen do bigger on either type of bike, Adam aka bzhwindtalker does some decent jumps and his videos are amazing but the jumps are only slightly bigger. Thats not because of the platform, that is because jumping a heavy mountainbike any higher without a decent down ramp feels dodgy.

<insert frock hate below> hahahaha coz I am out riding in the beautiful qld sunshine......I guess we are due for another flood :roll:

hey rodgah, you had me checking out 'fat man jumps mountain bike' on youtube to see if it could be successfully demonstrated, but heres all i came up with: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8Wl9ChX8uM -so your case stands. :D

also kim great to hear its up and running so well, the current settings in the kelly are often 100% from the factory, so maby have a peek.

and size wize i took a pic of my KEB kelly alongside a 24fet, and its heaps smaller in every dimension?? and a fair bit lighter. thats with the ears cut off the side (seems like they dont mind us doing that under warranty still -maby :mrgreen: ) aaand thats a 10kw one that i think has 42fets, yours being the same case 8kw and 36fets.
P1320388.JPG
P1320389.JPG
ive seen more output at the tyre than the said kw rating and your 8kw is $389, so even though im tight i can see the benefits compared to buying another 24 fet to blow up and add to the (now large) charred controller pile, also i didnt really want to make the call for you the other day kim, but i think it was pretty lucky i spoke to you when i did cos that new sabvoton controller you were gonna buy turns out to be a low pwm frequency low e-rpm (hub motory?) type thing thats just been released -they may get them sorted for rc motors etc, but for now its no good your hard earned going to more char flavored experiments. :D

toolman2 said:
'fat man jumps mountain bike'

hahaha sorry mate, my 115kg rider+bike comment is a bit ambiguous, that is total weight not just me hahahha, but I dont think I am alone when you get that feeling that you might be pushing mtb gear just a bit too hard. Its by no means a contest its just an observation, by all means go out and jump something huge on your weapon toolman I would love to see more of it, or anyone else for that matter. I am just here to have fun.

The kelly does look the goods (even though the price is more) considering its size and also that you might have to buy 2 or 3 24fets before you get some reliability. But I guess someone had to try it too not knowing if it would be added to the smouldering pile of controllers, and for that you take the cake for ca120 r&d toolman, and although your pretty silent about it the proof is in the performance.

Nice work Kim,

Glad to hear it is up and running and living up to expectations. Looking forward to seeing some video soon.

Clay

Definitely glad i made the call too Mark! the sine wave controllers would-be great unfortunately as stated the e-rpm is not sufficient for these rc motors... I though of cutting the sides off the Kelly to get it to fit the bike, after measuring though it would ofnot made any difference still too wide for the spot i had the skinny 18fet Infineon i anywayz, shes there now and doesn't look too bad, once i get a chain guard and larger front sprocket on it wont be so noticeable, the side covrs will not cover the motor, the gap above the controller and below battery pack, is a nice little e space to build in a air duct, perhaps incorporating a fan to force some air in the motors direction, thinking a fn on the opposing n of the motor to suck air through too... shall see how she goes in hotter months first although the air duct i can build into he side covers gives me a great excuse for a air scoop complete with polished grill hehe gotta have da-blingz..

@Thud...you got me thinking cams with your recent post, i was out shopping on Saturday, went to a local store here Kmart then Target then BigW....I seen the same came in different packaging at all three tores (same as cam JayCar sell for 100 bucks) I bought it in BigW fr$au48 12 bucks for a 8GBmicro SD card, so its not on the same level as the GoPros
but for the amount of use i will get with it, more than good enough, i took some pics in store of the packaging-->

Need to ab pics from camera and edit pos

IMG_20130727_123402.jpg

IMG_20130727_123429.jpg

Not great specs but suitable for my pov video attempts lol....shall try him out this arvo with luck

KiM

...might have to get one of those myself. for $48 can't go wrong.

Make your first video something along the lines of this - http://vimeo.com/68761077 but with more bikes.

Willow said:
...might have to get one of those myself. for $48 can't go wrong.

Make your first video something along the lines of this - http://vimeo.com/68761077 but with bikes.

Yeah its pretty neat if your not too fussed about the absolute best quality video....BloTube frocks the
video pretty good anywayz LoL... I forgot to mention, the camera has a TFT touch screen on the back great for lining up shots, waterproof to 3 meters in its supplied hoousing and comes with an assortment of fittings, including handlebar mount helmet mount etc
I forget the other brands its marketed as, but they range from 48 bucks to 98 bucks BiGW being the cheapest i think KMart was $98 IIRC...Target $49 ..Good for the price IMO anywayz...

Shall get to making some runz with the bike :mrgreen:

KiM

shall I start the chant...monos monos monos hahahhaa

good camera for the money, i dont think I would pay 100 for it but 50 is cheap. Willow....thats a great song....on mute :lol: . Youtube is tricky, the really detailed stuff like riding through lots of shaddows in bush comes out shithouse unless you export your movies at 60fps mp4, anything else I have tried just gets really blotchy. It takes so long to upload a video I have not narrowed down what the problem really is.

Thud said:

I am using the old trapezoid profile because it is waaay cheaper and a more forgiving profile for casting my rear sprocket.

For high powered primary reductions I think Matt is the authority here.

If you want to go with the trapezoid profile i an run some calcs and make a recommendation... Upsettingly Inventor doesn't have newer profiles for playing with :( At best i think it has HTD which are better suited to higher speed but i havent looked into what they cost...

This is where i got my T10 pulleys from http://shop.polybelt.com/Metric-Pitch-Pulleys_c68.htm

D

Danny Mayes said:
Thud said:

I am using the old trapezoid profile because it is waaay cheaper and a more forgiving profile for casting my rear sprocket.

For high powered primary reductions I think Matt is the authority here.

If you want to go with the trapezoid profile i an run some calcs and make a recommendation... Upsettingly Inventor doesn't have newer profiles for playing with :( At best i think it has HTD which are better suited to higher speed but i havent looked into what they cost...

This is where i got my T10 pulleys from http://shop.polybelt.com/Metric-Pitch-Pulleys_c68.htm

D

Cheers for that Danny...unfortunately the freewheell i grabbed off you is EXACLY the same as
the one i have already DOH!!! Ill likely drop it in the post for you buddy, be awhile before
I'm out your way again to call in with it..Karan and I thoroughly enjoyed Saturday night
thanks mate, please tell Karen for me cheers D-MaN ;)
Back to the belt, i been thinking of making the manual pedal side of things belt
also, ill 'cast' the teeth on the freewheel like i did the pulley on the blue cruiser
can do similar on a small turned down V- pulley on the front i think, keep cost low ...
I could go the full hog and do belt on powered side but...hrmz i did have issues
with his on the cruiser for awhile, i thinking more than a 5mm pitch belt would be required
to ensure no slippage ...

KiM

Just bring it to the group ride and give it to me then mate.

Was a fun night :mrgreen: Will pass on to Kaz

For a belt on the peddle side, you will definitely need to go with the gates profile i would think to keep the belt width down. Didn't someone on the forum do this on the cheap?

D

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26122&start=200

bobc lasercut some. I wouldnt call it a 'cheap' method but it would be cheaper than buying or machining sprockets. If you werent using them very much I would just use a skip tooth profile and cut them out of polycarbonate, not perspex or acrylic as they are a bit brittle for that. I think Chris would use polycarbonate for his box on his bike afaik. But if you have a lathe it would be hell cheaper to just sacrifice a few belts and make an epoxy one like last time on a turned down v-belt pulley.

Kim, how do you find the half link chain for retaining tension? Reliable, stretchy, noisy?
What is the method for joining / breaking those - standard pins or something else?

I'm using 9 speed chains at the moment but its a royal pain in the ass to get consistent tension, even with a basic tensioner on the rear.
I feel like I'm a few mm out from having perfect tension which has lead me to look at a half link BMX chain.
They seem to have massive load capacities compared to 9 speed chains.

Tinto said:
Kim, how do you find the half link chain for retaining tension? Reliable, stretchy, noisy?
What is the method for joining / breaking those - standard pins or something else?

I'm using 9 speed chains at the moment but its a royal pain in the ass to get consistent tension, even with a basic tensioner on the rear.
I feel like I'm a few mm out from having perfect tension which has lead me to look at a half link BMX chain.
They seem to have massive load capacities compared to 9 speed chains.

Yeah I like the half link chains, very little stretch I always use chain breaker to join chains....
Never had issue with the strength of the half link chains...

KiM

Things have been a little hectic around home last few weeks due to the addition of two new "house
mates" .... Karan and myself are the proud parents of Two Puppies! I been running around well 'rolling around' after them for best part of a month
so niot alot done to bike other than riding it when i have a chance, all going reeeeally well thus far too!

I had the pleasure of catching up with Mr Danny Mayes on Saturday and to my surprise he had his e-bike
in the boot of the car IN WORKING order!!! Hes a few pics of both the bikes together-->

IMG_20130824_141859.jpg

IMG_20130824_141832.jpg

View attachment 1

We went for a ride around the 'burbs' i had the video camera running but had not unloaded
the previous group ride footage and the memory card filled half way through the ride
Also, no idea what happened but the video starts ~half way through the ride before stopping 3/4 way
aaaanyways...i will upload the footage in original form, nothing overly special
no brilliant effects like Hyena etc or significant speeds, i topped out @ ~72km/hr on 72v pack
might be of interest to some...
Dannys bike went really well other than a little heat to the motor...and lil down on top end hehe (soz mate ::jab jab:: :mrgreen: )
The sound is a little high, the camera seems to amplify the noise alot
Danny i'm sure will happily confirm the noise is a lot lower than appears in video...

[youtube]WxCc9cpEU-E[/youtube]

Back to my puppy watching duties...

ciao for now peeps

KiM

EDiT:- forgot a pic of Mr Mayes atop the cruiser ;)

IMG_20130824_155637.jpg

I just turned on my comp to send you an email mate and got the update.

Was a fun little ride :D thanks for posting the footage.

It would be nice to get a proper audio recording of the bike because it does sound very nice indeed. Quieter than the video portrays and generally very pleasant.

I look forward to the next ride. I will have to keep going with my tweaks/developments to match your top end AJ :mrgreen: You are in the clear for a while yet though mate, progress is slow...

D

PS I am jealous of your puppies, they are fantastic little dogs!

Been awhile...for a change i been riding not fixing the bloody bike haha its performing beauuuutifully... came across
some Coroplast® while out getting a few things at Bunnings <--(large Hardware store for the 'non' Ozzies)
Cost $4.70 for a sheet so i grabbed a couple turned out i only needed one!
A few cuts a little tape and Whola!

IMG_20131005_134524.jpg

IMG_20131005_134553.jpg

View attachment 1

IMG_20131005_134805.jpg

^^ frames got a little surface rust happening LoL...summer around
the corner do i break the bike down for quick coat of paint
or leave it till after summer...decisions decisions...Aaaaanywayz
I am happy with how the panels turned out style wise, i can use this
now as a plug from which i will make a mold out of fiberglass
then lay up some carbone fiber in said mold... something too keep me occupied

back when i have more chaps