Feature Requests

Kingfish

100 MW
Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Mil
Greetings & Glad Tidying’s to moderators and stakeholders

I yam but a humble denizen upon this forum that has entreated me well and provided a cornucopia of good thought and skillful advise.

I come with a tiny suggestion without knowing how difficult it would be to affect. So I’m just going to try and explain it best I can:

Is there a way were we can align ourselves to a social group, or a named tag of sorts – as opposed to a gang? The tag or social group would be part of our Profile like the location/country. I guess we could call it a custom field attached to our profile and is searchable.

The reason I ask is that I am running into more and more individuals that have ebikes, or want to be into ebikes (to which I point them to The Sphere) and I think it would be great if we could have local groupings or chapters – informal and all. To tell you the truth, the structural part of my tiny brain would like to organize a meeting in my metro, and I think that ES could serve as a basis for gathering kindred individuals.

I suppose we could continue to do things the same way in the E-vents section of the forum… though it sure would be nice if I could tell a person “Here’s the link to ES and you can find me in the Seattle-Metro Group; come join us!

That’s all I wanted to say – other than thanks guys for doing a great job! 8)
All the best, KF

Something like the way this FreakBikeNation forum section is, then?

http://www.forum.freakbikenation.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=30

amberwolf said:
Something like the way this FreakBikeNation forum section is, then?

http://www.forum.freakbikenation.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=30
+1 That's the Cadillac version for sure! I was just hoping for an extra field that shows are "associations". Though you've captured the essence quite well there AW :wink:

Best, KF

I went through all the "Forum Rules and Features", looking for any thread dealing with posting.

This thread came the closest. I would have started my own thread, but there isn't a 'New Topic' block, that I could see.

Anyway, a long story short. In my threads on another forum, I have to refer to certain past posts, periodically. As recently as yesterday. One of my builds has over a thousand replies/posts. Each post is numbered, making it easier, to not only find but to use as a reference for other users.

Just wondering why the individual posts here are not numbered, or otherwise identified. Except maybe by date/time.
Especially for those threads with a large number of replies.

They are numbered, it's only visible when you click on the title of an individual post. Its address will show up in the address window near the top of the screen. If you want to reference a particular post, you can copy/paste that...

spinningmagnets said:
They are numbered, it's only visible when you click on the title of an individual post. Its address will show up in the address window near the top of the screen. If you want to reference a particular post, you can copy/paste that...

OK, got it. But I would never have thought to look up there.
In my other forum, they are visible in each post.

But good to know, Thanks for enlightening me.

spinningmagnets said:

I don't think I've ever seen this. Can you post a screen shot?

PHPBB does lack a lot of features, but for FREE software it's not bad. You get what you pay for.

First, I clicked on where it says "Re: Feature Requests" on your post. The blue highlighted address contains the link to the individual post that "fechter" posted. If you want to link to the start of the thread, click on the title at the top of page-one, then highlight and copy/paste...

screenshot1.jpg

you can also right click on the title of any particular post within a thread, and choose "copy link location" or "copy url" (or whatever term your browser uses). it's the same as the url in the address bar of a browser after clicking on the link.

in addition to the title of the post, the same link exists in the little red "page" marker next to the title of each post. (it may be a different color depending on your theme and if you've read it or not).

it *also* exists in any quote, in the little up-arrow next to the name of the poster being quoted, where it links back to the post that was quoted.

the one thing it doesn't have is post numbers within a thread, where each individual post is numbered sequentially from 1 thru however many replies that particular thread has.

The little dog-eared page icon to the left of the title doesn't exist at ES any more. It was removed here for being redundant because the post url could be accessed through the title anyway.

Xenforo is one forum that has a bit friendlier per topic post numbering, e.g. post #10 vs. p1535433, than PHPBB's forum-wide big post number.

mark5 said:
The little dog-eared page icon to the left of the title doesn't exist at ES any more.
still exists in the theme i use.

Back