EV Steampunk

3d Bat Cycle4.jpg3d Bat Cycle3.jpgman i got to agree with liveforphysic, only the elite could build something as cool as your motor, very impressive, and i agree with a heavy duty build of this motor for motorcycles, cause on the average a motorcycle will weigh anywhere from 300lbs to 600lbs, so a lot of torque would be needed but this flux motor would be a kewl addition to a build like im doing - but im seeing it to be used in my next build the Bat Cycle which needs to be extremely fast road bike, i would like to talk to you more about your motor... Thank You for the info and yes i do have access to a CNC router...

Lebowski said:
Ok, the motors I make are for my own use and are not accurately made (I use simple tools), but the
potential is definately there. This is my triple stator base on a bicycle axle (meant for chain
drive to rear wheel or mid-drive):
View attachment 2
build thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=46476

I really like the look of the brass spacers and the copper showing through the acryllic glass stator plates.

This motor was made with simple tools, a jigsaw and a drill press.

If you have access to more advanced tools (cnc router would get you very far) the sky is the limit.

The triple stator version as shown above should make about 3 hp at 1000rpm. If you make it
better ballanced (cnc!) and you can spin it up to 7000 rpm -> 21 hp ! Make it a little bigger, maybe
1.5 times the radius -> power doubles again so now we're at over 40 hp ! go to 6 disks instead of 3 -> 80 hp !

So... instead of using a bicycle axle, if you make your own axle which feeds out the end of the
motor you can connect it to a gearbox. The example of Moto Guzzi (or BMW) makes it relatively
easy to mate the motor to the gearbox and you don't need belts or chains, and the input-rpm
of the gearbox is in the realistic ranges (few 1000 rpm)... Also an old guzzi or bmw should have
enough room in front of the gearbox to put a nice big Axial Flux motor, and an older bike still
has a classic frame good for simple motor support.

Looking great A!
I was questioning your decision to re-work the fuel tank...but you nailed it.
Looks great.
You leaving all that chrome on the wheels? looks like a prime canidate for some copper clading...maybe leather wrap on the rims? :twisted:

Hehe just spit balling. I trust your eye for design & detail over mine all day every day.
Are you looking for any odd industrial nick nacks to dress it up in?

Keep it rolling bud, I look foward to your next update.
T

i thought i would throw in the minor detail stuff that seems to take the most to complete...

this is the rear axle adjuster... the next thing this weekend is to build a better seat mount, instead of coil springs, im going with the leaf spring saddle mount...

this thing is like building the Munster Mobile, just any stupid S#%T i can throw on it, also looking for good ideals on automated kickstand and wrought iron running boards, Hmmmm, let me think, well, i'll cross that bridge when i get there :)

also the battery box shows it can opened from both sides for easy battery pack install and removal - the hand made springer forks close up - my hand made headlight... :D

Attachments

• axle adjuster-2.jpg
    axle adjuster-2.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 4,260
  • axle adjuster-1.jpg
    axle adjuster-1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 4,260
  • a-latest detail1.jpg
    a-latest detail1.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 4,260
  • a-latest detail3.jpg
    a-latest detail3.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 4,260
:shock: painted the wheels bright red yesterday, it really gave the bike a whole new character, looks awesome...

also gearing up for the major components such as the ALLTRAX AXE Controller, and montenergy motor, just havent decided which motor yet. although i like the 72 volt system,i would like to have the option to goto a 96 volt system...

im working on the leaf spring saddle mount next, which is already underway... if it works, you wont believe where i got spring leafs, LOL

OHMYGODALLEN

It may be the hangover, or the metal, or the fact it's only 7AM but really 6AM cause it just switched to DST, or the animations, or just the simply bad-assedest build going, but I'm sitting here on my couch, bleeding from the ears with coffee drooling down my chin and a JFL on my face. LMAO!

GREAT WORK, and thanks for waking my ass up this morning!

Great build Allen!

The fuel tank looks great, I think you need some twirling gizmos for windspeed etc...

You need an anemometer!

Like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Russian-anemometer-/321321329021?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad03e617d

Or this:

57369-500x330.jpg

http://www.theportobellomarket.co.uk/ads/large-negretti-zambra-anemometer/

Some good close ups of one here:

http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/more-furniture-collectibles/scientific-instruments/industrial-anemometer-julien-p-friez-sons/id-f_644801/

pretty kewl etard, which gave me a ideal - what about your suggestion attached to a wimhurst generator to power some crazy light effects - the one thing a motorcycle has plenty of while in motion is wind. it makes me wonder if it is at possible to harness the high voltage static electricity from the wimhurst to a super capacitor and regulated to operate a led lighting system, etc... :idea:

as i ducks and runs away...

Thank You etard - im going to give it a hard ass try using your ideal - it would definitely give the bike a beautiful steampunk gismo appeal...

Attachments

• wimhurst generator.jpg
    wimhurst generator.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 3,689
Hehe... See maybe Post #1 in the ES thread "Horses of Iron", here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8099
:mrgreen:

:D one side of the floor board is done, working on the other side, then the scroll type mounts will be nextt then welded to the frame... these photos are earlier and not up to date to the progress...

after the floor boards are done then off to the brass plating...

:?: and then onto the hand lever landing gear...

Attachments

• IMG_0239.JPG
    IMG_0239.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 3,585
Back