Farfle's electromotard. Mk. 4

We got some footage from bart's playsport. Its just a pita to edit it all together.

Finally got the footage from laguna seca hacked together. here ya go!

[youtube]X6KxL7eaH6Q[/youtube]

triggeraa said:
Great footage. What were the motor temps like?

Motor temps were around 210-240C. The winding wire we are using is good to at least 270C (thermistor and IR thermometer double verified), double insulated polyamide winding wire is good stuff!

As long as the motor is spinning and moving air, the heat does not transfer very quickly. We just can't let it sit and soak at that temp, so we keep it rolling, put it in the stand, and then idle it forward while hosing it with water.

YOu know, Farfle.. thinking about it more... don't you think that the winding enamel rating is for just the enamel with no external force? If it is heated, it probably softens at some point. if the windings are very tightly wound doesn't that sort of spread the enamel?

This is probably not true, but got me thinking. What are the conditions of that rating and what are the other things to consider?

Check out thus paper on winding wire ratings, and what they mean.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CDIQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.superioressex.com%2FuploadedFiles%2FNews%2FWhite_Papers%2Femcwa-nema_magnet-thermal-class-ratings.pdf&ei=EjnwUbaKHePOiwLw7YDAAw&usg=AFQjCNFbd0SKsmOVIEwEW2Xij52llNi7Yw&sig2=vXyxd6xxzEkHOC4q2Q-hGQ

It's been a long time since anything has been posted here, just an update about the team website: there's now a new address that you can reach it at: http://www.farfleracing.com. I was also able to use the stencil cutter at my summer internship to make up some vinyl decals for the bike.

1240612_557679460948406_2065849919_n.jpg

se7Mr6q.jpg

While pulling out the rear axle to trade the track-slicks to the road tires, I found one of the bearings had failed in the weirdest way. The inner race split almost perfectly in half. radially :shock: :shock: .

I replaced it with a name brand bearing, and doublechecked the center support tube had not crushed. will see how it goes from there.

(And yes, one of the worn-out samsung cells Im using as a kickstand prop is attempting a thermal runaway lol)

Farfle said:
I found one of the bearings had failed in the weirdest way. The inner race split almost perfectly in half. radially :shock: :shock:

Too much axial load?

rodgah said:
axial load would of pushed the whole inner race through not half, I would say radial and maybe some contaminates making it lock and rub against the spacer.

When I took the rear hub apart, the inner spacer had crushed. I guess that's what happens when the bearing is overloaded axially, but not fully allowed to fail because the parts are captured.

Anywho, we are working on a project involving some filmwork, here's a shot:

[youtube]PpL_SQ79n-E[/youtube]

Farfle, with your motor have you ever considered changing the drive side bearing to a roller type rather then ball? Also with your water dumps have you noticed any build up on the coils of salts or anything?

I agree with the "too much radial" and the roller bearing suggestion is the best.

Go for it Farfle!

I have actually added a roller bearing to the output side, the bearing that is failing is in the rear hub. In the output side is a large ball bearing a roller bearing and then the sprocket has its own small ball bearing as well.

Lots of updates due for the thread:

Farfle and I took the bike out for the last time this season at MAC track. Farfle was able to borrow a pair of leathers that fit him and was able to take the bike out on the track himself and did a good job of handling the bike.

IMG_0743.JPG

We were also able to get some really important info about how the bike handles with different tires on. It's incredible how much of a difference it makes. We had been using these Dunlop racing tires, but the compound they are made of is too hard for Mk.4 to keep them warm except on super fast tracks like Laguna Seca. The result is that I spent a lot of time sliding out on the bike because the tires would cool down after a couple of laps around the track. We decided to try out the DOT tires that Farfle uses for commuting and found that while the rubber is better suited the profile of the tires didn't allow for as much leaning in the corners. One of the local supermoto guys we've gotten to know was awesome and donated a pair of rain tires to us and let us use his tire changing tools. These tires are super soft and have a profile that's in between the DOT tires and the Dunlops. The result was about 80-90% of what we would get out of the Dunlops, but all the time instead of for just the first couple of laps.

IMG_0644.JPG

IMG_0645.JPG

After the new tires were put on there was some chatter that was noticeable in the front, which was different because usually all of the problems came from the rear tire wanting to slide out. After talking with the supermoto guys we decided that the suspension setup might need to be changed. Farfle was able to take one of the gas bikes out for a few laps to see the difference in handling and suspension.

IMG_0658.JPG

We came up with a lot of ideas about how to improve the suspension, which Farfle can detail later. All in all it was an excellent way to end the season.

This is so awesome!

Tommy L sends.....

Back