Worst Crashes/Accidents/Failures etc on E-bike: Bring pics

iperov said:
nothing serious, just knee bruise bike ok, just +0.5mm benting rim, that I fixed for 10 minutes.

Glad you are OK - I think that is the best video documentation of an eBike accident I have ever seen. :shock:

What was the silver metal hoop that flew into the air - part of the car's front fascia?

-JD

oatnet said:
iperov said:
nothing serious, just knee bruise bike ok, just +0.5mm benting rim, that I fixed for 10 minutes.

Glad you are OK - I think that is the best video documentation of an eBike accident I have ever seen. :shock:

What was the silver metal hoop that flew into the air - part of the car's front fascia?

-JD

I thought the same thing. He even got footage from another driver's (witness) dashcam. Glad he was alright, because that looked like it could have been much worse.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49063

Had to go back a few pages to find my post.

Medically wise it didn't cost me anything because I'm unemployed so it was taken care of by a program called Arrow care through Arrow Head Regional Medical Center.

I probably lost maybe about $250.00 in bike frame and parts damage.

"Shiny objects are to birds as blue curbs are to destroying my bike".

cal3thousand said:
I thought the same thing. He even got footage from another driver's (witness) dashcam. Glad he was alright, because that looked like it could have been much worse.
thx.
Now I almost normal walking.
All hit energy ~2500 joules (AK-47 bullet) , was absorbed by full relaxed muscle above knee, which was trained by pedaling.

Bumpity Bump....It's been awhile since we've had reports, but I'm sure there have been some good crashes :mrgreen:

not a crash but more of a failure:

12615179463_f17e92fd80_c.jpg

this happened while i was passing a car going about 30-35mph. i noticed a small hump in the road (but thought it was nothing to worry about as my bike is a nice downhill with dual suspension...i guess i was mistaken =P thankfully i managed to stay on the bike and pull over. i had no idea what had happened but knew something was seriously wrong. i turned around and couldnt believe what i was looking at. somehow the wheel had managed to stay centered in the motor. pretty mind boggling that it was as steady as it was - i thought for sure if anything like this had ever happened i would eat it hard

the problem was more so the lacing which was done pretty shotty. the spokes were to small for the hub, so the bike shop used small brass washers in an attempt to hold the spokes in place. clearly this was not a very good solution :lol: they are in the process of rebuilding the wheel with the proper 12ga spokes, so we'll see how they do

Most embarrassing ... ?
Slow U-turn and front tire hit wet grass clippings.
Forgot to let go of throttle, so was dragged a bit ...
Chipstone, where cars usually park, so was pretty rough-sharp!
Avoided wearing shorts for a bit ...

RR1.jpgView attachment 1
Not deep
Washed with peroxide
dried
Triple-antibiotic ointment
Scabs peeled off in a couple weeks
Still views as a slightly shiny purplish patch

Under the bandage?
Boney spot, deeper scrape, took a couple months to totally heal ....

Too ugly to picture?

Picture 137.jpgI had a cruiser bike 9c front hub motor with regen and coaster brake only in the rear and last year it was raining whilst running 16s lipo around 2000 watts I applied the regen to coast to a stop sign and my front WHEEL FELL OFF! I am lucky I didn't get hurt worse than I did so it didn't cost me more than a $100 in medicine and bandages, but it hurt like hell. My biggest mistake was not tightening the torque arm screw, which I knew was loose before I left, but I kept saying I'll do it later. The front fork was completely bent, but the frame is still recoverable. :p :p

wineboyrider said:
...front hub motor...and my front WHEEL FELL OFF! I am lucky I didn't get hurt worse than I did

Damn glad to hear you weren't hurt worse Wineboyrider. With so many members I've always figured we had at least some front hub rider whose wheel came off and we never heard from them again because they were dead. Mine snapped the dropouts off within the first 10ft of my first hubmotored ride, but luckily the too thin stainless torque arms held the motor on the fork despite cutting thru the axle flats like butter.

This topic makes me worried haha. I lucky never felt from my bike, but it actually felt alone once with nobody on it. Happens that it was kinda new and I didn't know the stock outrigger was so crap, then the bike just felt. No damages.

John in CR said:
wineboyrider said:
...front hub motor...and my front WHEEL FELL OFF! I am lucky I didn't get hurt worse than I did

Damn glad to hear you weren't hurt worse Wineboyrider. With so many members I've always figured we had at least some front hub rider whose wheel came off and we never heard from them again because they were dead. Mine snapped the dropouts off within the first 10ft of my first hubmotored ride, but luckily the too thin stainless torque arms held the motor on the fork despite cutting thru the axle flats like butter.

There's been a couple lucky accidents with front motors on here, but I do wonder the same. Another person as I recall, sent his front motor running off without him, like a missile. He was able to report it here, so nothing major.

Torque twisted the axle out of the forks on a hub motor (before we knew about torque arms).

Fall on outstretched arm. I require shoulder replacement. Lost wages over 1,000,000. Really. No joke.

It was worth it, though. Yolo.

rguy56 said:
Lost wages over 1,000,000. Really. No joke.
1 million in what currency? Yen? ;)

If that's US dollars, then...what exactly do you do and how long did it take to heal to get you back to work?

Cuz that's about 85 years of my wages, I think

rguy56 said:
Torque twisted the axle out of the forks on a hub motor (before we knew about torque arms).

Fall on outstretched arm. I require shoulder replacement. Lost wages over 1,000,000. Really. No joke.

It was worth it, though. Yolo.

Right on!

OK I view this as the truck analogy.
You got a truck and the tailgate is dented, your a truck guy.
You got some scares, pictures, from ebiking, your a ebike guy.

or gal

Since he's from Winnipeg, it's likely CDN$ and i'll bet he works on the pipelines for that kinda cash. (what else is there to do in the prairies besides work?)

amberwolf said:
rguy56 said:
Lost wages over 1,000,000. Really. No joke.
1 million in what currency? Yen? ;)

If that's US dollars, then...what exactly do you do and how long did it take to heal to get you back to work?

Cuz that's about 85 years of my wages, I think

Lots of unavoidable crashes such as car turning where they shouldn't.

I always thought that bike lane are more dangerous than car road as drivers are not looking at the lane when they turn!

cwah said:

I always thought that bike lane are more dangerous than car road as drivers are not looking at the lane when they turn!

No they don't! But I have noticed that cars see me when I have my flashing headlight on. Now, I run with it during daylight hours too. I won't be left-crossed if I can help it.

cal3thousand said:
cwah said:

No they don't! But I have noticed that cars see me when I have my flashing headlight on. Now, I run with it during daylight hours too. I won't be left-crossed if I can help it.

A light may help them notice you, but it detracts from their ability to judge you approaching speed. I use movement left and right within the lane for both those turning across my lane and those entering from side streets to give me better visibility and better reference to my speed. It's like a little wave to them that I'm coming and is surprisingly effective. As I approach the risk area I position my bike where I have the best space for escape, minimize actual exposure time to a small fraction of a second.

For preventing left crosses my favorite position is using a car or truck as a blocking back and snugging up just off their rear right corner, making it impossible for the crosser to hit me directly.

My most hated position is following some distance behind a car with someone waiting to turn left and cross me, so I simply avoid it. If I can't speed up and get very close to the car in front of me, then I slow down and put at least 100yds of space and let them cross first.

I would consider being hit by a car an unforgivable mistake on my part.

Riding a bit too close to parallel parked cars...a older guy opens the door on his truck without looking out his side mirror.

I clip the end of the door on my ebike at about 8 mph and go flying over the handle bars. Had flight time to do a tuck and roll.

Helmet cracked in two pieces. No serious bodily injury. Fortunately, I was not going that fast and no one was right behind me.

Lessons: WEAR A HELMET...ALWAYS. Stay away from parked cars. Learned that auto driver is ALWAYS responsible in these events by law.....my driver promised to pay for bent wheel rim...but never did....I will demand full accident report and insurance payment next time.

Low visibility, lack of crash protection and SPEED, compels CAUTION on an eBike. I have been considering a tadpole with high seat .......thinking it would be safer in city traffic.....heck, I would even put flashing lights above the head rest....I REALLY want to find a viable/safe alternative to a car or 3+ hr RT bus rides......any thoughts about this to share...i.e. relative safety of a tadpole?

Thanks for your comment. I am mainly concerned about MY ability to see around me with the higher seat. I imagine I can put lights off the head rest (yellow flashing lights facing back and white headlamps facing forward). Sounds kinda geeky, but I am experimenting - function over form at this point.

I am also imagining an oblong hoop of tubular box aluminum, hinged at front or back that flips down for added side crash protection, roll-over protection and also will allow some kind of optional weather/sun canopy of some size or shape. But, I am not looking at velomobile design...just added safety.....I want to remain a "bike"....I want air...to feel the weather.

I think it might be right to hope that a wider footprint makes cars take more notice and give a wider berth......a car driver realizes they cannot just "slip by" you fast...a trike must take a significant portion of the road...you are a real vehicle that must be properly considered...but, this is why rear visibility is so important.

I am thinking that us low-profile vehicles will always have to drive more defensively and slower in tight traffic conditions. But also agree some others that getting closer to regular traffic speed is safer, where appropriate. That is where a 750W rear drive comes in.

Any ideas or comments?

@eTrike: Thanks for your comments. Great views and tips.

I want to be environmental but it is tough in a pretty much non-environmental system we have today. Those 2000-5000 lbs boxes can really hurt us bikers. And health care is incredibly environmentally damaging (energy footprint is enormous), so, one accident can ruin any idea that your actions have helped the environment (let alone ruin your day).

But, I must try.

Recently adopted by Currie eBike offerings, the application of specific gearing and severe current regulation, allows a 20mph motor only speed but with substantial assist actually increasing right till near 30mph. This comes near to legally allowing my personal safety mode of blending with in-town traffic.
I just choose a vehicle that I can see over and hop in behind it and use it as a traffic, and wind, blocker - not too close!

I also advocate the use of a modest power strobe headlight, wide pattern preferred, right at rear view mirror height ... for thum door kickers!.
A recent enhancement I added, for side traffic, is a reasonably clear screw on bottle cap over the lens.
This provides greatly increased side visibility and a larger, though slightly dimmer, frontal strobe. - more noticeable! ?
Red flashing tail light also.

Back