When XP is dead I will migrate to....

I'm a dinosaur from the age where you turned on you ZX Spectrum and it worked immediately, no OS to load and most definately no extra money to pay for the OS.
Now all computers behave like the valve radios of the olden days, after turn on you have to let 'm warm up before they kinda work....

So, i've always held the notion that the hardware should be bought and the software should be free. I'm a very satisfied Ubuntu user and only use free software like MplabX for programming Pic's, Kicad for PCB design, LtSpice for the odd simulation and Octave and Labview 6.1 for modelling and RS232 data capture

cal3thousand said:
EVTodd said:
cal3thousand said:

Android is based on a Linux kernel too. :)

Agreed, but they asked about OS, not kernel :D

All Linux OS's run on a Linux kernel. Android is a Linux OS and I doubt someone looking for a replacement for XP will switch to Android. I assume it would be for a desktop or laptop. And yes, you can run Android on a desktop but most wouldn't consider it for a main OS.

EVTodd said:
cal3thousand said:
EVTodd said:
Android is based on a Linux kernel too. :)

Agreed, but they asked about OS, not kernel :D

All Linux OS's run on a Linux kernel. Android is a Linux OS and I doubt someone looking for a replacement for XP will switch to Android. I assume it would be for a desktop or laptop. And yes, you can run Android on a desktop but most wouldn't consider it for a main OS.

But if you're just leaving XP at the year 2014/2015, full blown Android should be able to handle most things you need. It was still a tongue in cheek response to suggest Android, but I'm betting that I could get around comfortably for most things that I do on a computing device. My tablet actually does things that my laptop can't handle without hardware and software upgrades.

Having said that, there are just some things that will never be available on a platform other than x86. VCDS (VW/Audi programming BUS) comes to mind

I would consider android if it meant I could just turn it on and use it. I don't network my laptop so it runs win98 for it's easy interface and rapid boot time. My home PC runs for weeks on end because I just don't have time to waste booting computers. If I could run win98 on this I would.

I don't know of any android device that runs the windows software I need, or has a serial port. Nor do I know of a uart bridge set to make my serial devices usb. Well... Not one that works for long. Something will always try and update the drivers and that is a world of pain that would take a thread to explain. Basically the software will kill itself avoiding piracy.

So, I would happily take on android just for instant boot, but like linux and that apple stuff, it won't allow me to get things done. Everything is first written for windows, and everything else comes behind windows. Windows has the greatest choice of everything doesn't it?

I have a very fancy quad core 1900x1200 transformer prime android tablet and its the slowest most useless piece of crap i've ever had the displeasure of owning. Granted, i use it a lot because of its portability but would have been much happier wit an 11" small laptop running ubuntu.

Android, never again !!!

Look on Kijiji!! The avalanche of XP machines for sale has begun. You can get some damn nice machines cheap and throw linux on them for free.

When XP is dead I will migrate to....
XP will never die.

I will keep it alive, carefully nurturing it on my ancient hardware, feeding it pieces of replacement computer parts as others throw them out, year by year, decade by decade, until finally I myself fade away...while the computers still sit there running XP.

:lol:

(seriously...if there were a viable alternative that would still correctly run my existing software/hardware the way I need it to, looking and working the way my computer/screen/etc do for me normally, then I'd be willing to try it out. But so far, none of those so far available will work for me).

friendly1uk said:
Did I just here easy and linux in one sentence? ;)
Linux is well geeky. I'm not sure how it's even called an operating system. It's about as clunky as windows 3.1

Hiren's boot cd has a version of linux that will run on your pc in ram. No HD required. Just set bios to boot from cdrom and linux will install in ram. Thus you can give it a whirl without actually installing it.

It is not for the masses.

After XP I believe it is win7

lol Linux is to OS as DIY e-biking is to riding... a distant secondary consideration :)

It's all about the tinkering....

DRL said:
friendly1uk said:
Linux is well geeky. I'm not sure how it's even called an operating system. It's about as clunky as windows 3.1

Hiren's boot cd has a version of linux that will run on your pc in ram. No HD required. Just set bios to boot from cdrom and linux will install in ram. Thus you can give it a whirl without actually installing it.

lol Linux is to OS as DIY e-biking is to riding... a distant secondary consideration :)

Spoken by a true non-Linux user. :roll:

EVTodd said:
DRL said:
friendly1uk said:

Spoken by a true non-Linux user. :roll:

I don't understand the disparagement lol. I run XP, Vista, Win7, Win8 AND a Linux box... they all have a purpose of some sort although I do regard my Linux platform more of a sandbox than the others, it is where I get my hobby fun.

PS I have been messing with "systems" since the 60's.... when I became one of the early NC programmers for automated machine tools, and was programming in general way before the advent of DOS and micro-computers.

OS like everything else is a tool, nothing more nothing less.

DRL said:
I don't understand the disparagement lol. I run XP, Vista, Win7, Win8 AND a Linux box... they all have a purpose of some sort although I do regard my Linux platform more of a sandbox than the others, it is where I get my hobby fun.

PS I have been messing with "systems" since the 60's.... when I became one of the early NC programmers for automated machine tools, and was programming in general way before the advent of DOS and micro-computers.

OS like everything else is a tool, nothing more nothing less.

I couldn't agree more. It's just that some people think Linux hasn't ever changed. They think there's lots of tweaking, compiling software, etc... Modern Linux distros are so easy these days. Heck, I don't think I've opened a terminal window in over a year.

The rule in my house is no Windows machines are connected to the internet. Linux only for online stuff.

I switched to a Mac in 2001 and and have had blissful trouble-free computing ever since.
This is imperative for me seeing as I've been an IT admin for over 20 years, so the last thing I want to do is deal with Windows garbage at home too.

Saying that, I had to install Windows on my media box to run Plex and I have all the Windows version as VM's just in case I need them for something (except Windows 8 of course which is an abomination).

Other than that I run cut-down linux distros designed for single purpose like OMV OpenMediaVault to share out my media.

The most used OS in my home by a country mile is iOS and has been for about 4 years, it does 90% of what I need to do.

The mantra should be "Anything but Windows".

Kudos

Glad Mac 9 a unix based distro) works for ya. Not everyone can afford the most expensive forms of computing out there however. Especially when there is other software out there that can do the same for free.

I've been an Ubuntu Linux user for 5 years now and have zero regrets. My main PC is a Dell Lattitude with 2 drives. A 128g SSD and a 320g mechanical. I have my OS on the SSD and I boot up in 10 seconds never slows nor crashes. Beat that Mr Gates! lol

I have tried a while ago Mandrake Linux, but I was not satisfied with it. Had to return to Windows as I use computer as tool...
The Windows XP was good choice (although Windows 2000 was good too) and after I got very stable system, it is not more possible to use on new computers. :evil:

The Windows XP under VirtualBox under Ubuntu works much better than stand alone.
Other big advantage of Ubuntu is that this OS is energy saving, the battery on laptop lasts at least double more time. 8) In addition, even Windows XP in VirtualBox become energy saving...

Now, not much choice left, if I want to keep my instruments "alive":
1. Microchip ICD2 (not more supported, was advised to buy ICD3).
2. TiePie HS3-100MHz USB scope.
3. Janatek LuLa USB logic analyzer (16 channels).

When was trying to get my ICD2 back in function, the advice is to buy ICD3 and MPLABX. Why I should buy new instrument, install new software and port my projects in new environment? I have old instruments and old software and I'm quite happy with it. :evil:

I bought new Dell Inspiron laptop with preinstalled Ubuntu and I tried to install XP as separate OS on it. Unfortunately, it is not possible (blue screen)...
Started with Ubuntu two years ago and now I have XP machine running under VirtualBox and got all my instruments back. 8)
Definitely is the best choice Ubuntu as the software is mostly free, no need for antivirus software, etc.
In addition, the missing serial port has been sorted with FTDI USB Serial Converter, which (after installation) is possible to use under DOS box, under Windows XP inside VirtualBox under Ubuntu Linux (currently running 14 TLS). 8) :D

Now I'm saying that (after installing Wine and VirtualBox) this OS is so stupid that it doesn't recognize that particular application is designed for use under other OS.

I don't have smartphone, but I'll buy one, when it will be with Ubuntu, not Android. :wink: Don't want to bother with Google accounts...
I like that Ubuntu store doesn't ask for registration.

So, definitely Ubuntu is my choice.

So I pulled out a 12 year old laptop because I found a cheap aftermarket battery that was SUPPOSED to fit. Well, I guess it will once I shave some edges. But the problem is it's all around difficult. Maybe that's why I quit using it some 4-6 years ago, I don't remember. XP was nice, but it seemed to bog down easily. I wonder if I can clean this up enough to run well again, or if it really is all the updates that cause the trouble. I have an old desktop I bought about a year later that was a faster computer with the best game card of the time and it's even worse. I don't know how much of the problem is crap that got on it online and how much is just the hardware was overloaded by the updates.

Meanwhile, Microsoft finally upgraded me to Windows without asking, I'm sure you've heard that story by now. But It's been fine for me; except, here we go, the 6 year old computer seems to have moments where it struggles. Not sure how much I could really blame on the new Windows.

The thought of using the Linux makes me think of all the crap it wouldn't even run if it encountered it online. Let's say I had a room full of 3D modellers working special effects in Hollywood, I can just imagine the problems that WOULDN'T occur. These are people that would be hitting websites looking for inspiration all day. But would the lack of user knowledge in all these people create bigger problems?

I don't know what a perfect solution would be. But I do know that when I find people still using a dedicated system (To operate whatever expensive hardware) with XP, or even 98, I see problems with whatever workstation that's for when the computer goes down for good. Imagine 15 years of stability usurped in one day.
There was this electric wand chiropractic system that worked so well where the chiros couldn't adjust people well, but the computers running it got old and the company had gone out of business. So much for that.

Well... i have to update this thread.

Last night, after a few glasses of wine to lubricate my sense of humor a a bit..

Downloaded Ubuntu 16 .. then researched how to make it bootable from USB.. done..

Oh the days when you only needed to know one OS inside and out to be a magician tech whiz.. well, those days are long gone...

Cell ph is S4 - Android

Desktop, tripple monitor on Win 10 ( after forced update from ms.. gee.. thanks.. ) has all microsoft only software bits running, adobe for vids, mass storage.. etc..

Tablet, old junker used for chromecast youtube from coffee table during parties.. samsung Tab 2 or something.. works.. cracked screen and all.

Laptop, also next to the couch, used for streaming, it's old, and came with win7, it was the first to get win10 ( legit keys.. ) but was working well, all things considered.

Well... my neighbors have an old desktop that came with vista, i put xp over it many years ago.. and it was used for torrenting only, recently, it's giving issues, slow, locking up, due for a format... ..

So i gave them the ubuntu thumb drive, showed them how to boot up and do the " Try it " option, then walked away to see if they could figure it out... ... nope... no go. ( both in their mid 50's, not techies .. )

Edit.. continued:

Soooo... last night i decided to figure this shit out on my own, so the laptop got it...

At first, i was going to set this up as dual-boot, but in ubuntu install would not give me that option.. fine.. formatted the sucker and did a full blown install... turns out, the partition needs to be flagged as " Logical " for the dual boot to be an option in the install process.... this laptop must have had windows running without, a partition software can correct this .. but anywho..

Install was quick, done in like 10 minutes.. all bits seem to work, sound, video, wireless mouse.... good.

Next, figure out how to torrent from this thing... tried hitting up a random site and clicked a .tor file download, what now ?... nope.. no go.. the youtube vids i watched prior said ubunto has a built in torrent client but it was not kicking in. ... so off to google i go...

Tried to install Vuze, fumbled for a long time, the software store icon did not bring it up, but some cryptic instructions from google, drag and dropping command lines into Terminal window, blindly following along, seems like some of it was working but, then the software was nowhere to be found..... .. ...

At least an hour goes by, googling, rebooting, updates, youtube instructionals, etc..... finally.. tried another torrent file and got " Transmission " to work !... ( a torrent client ) and was able to get a movie !.. win !

Ok.. now i want to stream that to my TV over chromecast , oh boy... another software fumble to get plex media server installed on this ubuntu rig... more use of Terminal and command line stuff( unable to copy/paste form browser, have to multi-window and drag drop it.. too long to key in manually without errors... ) ...

Got that to work, but in firefox..... and chromecast does not show up as a device in plex.. .. more googling....

installed Chromium ( open source chrome browser for ubuntu... ) .. extensions and plugins and more command lines in terminal according to various search results from fellow confused first timers......... ...... thank god i had more wine..

then, figured out how to install full on chrome, after much hassle... using terminal.. and the software market tool, removed, installed, removed, rebooted.. tried... tried.... tried.. all sorts of shit......... until finally getting Chrome to show up by random luck ( searched for it form top button control panel thing.... ).. and many hours later, i now have a fully functional non-windows laptop !

This is NOT the way for non-tech oriented and determined people..... the masses will remain windows and iOS users.

Congrats Ypedal

I got a OEM Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on my desktop that I use everyday, but I have been dabbling in Virtual Machines using VirtualBox, I've tried Kubuntu. It took me a few days to figure out how to share a common file. I then installed Windows 10 to see how it is, for 30 days until it asks for the product code at which time I will delete the VM. I dont like W10 as much as what I am used to, W7.

In an old Dell laptop, about a year ago, I first installed Ubuntu LTS and used it for a few days, it was alright. Then I used Xubuntu and it was good. I used it for torrenting as well. On my second PC, I got a MAK dist. W7 key, but that PC came with 2 HDD's, so I left the W7 HDD alone and formatted the 2nd HDD and slapped on Linux Mint (Ubuntu family) which I like the best. It has more of a W7 feel to it.

The Terminal scares many away. But the Linux community is great at helping people out.

PS, did you get my PM Ypedal?

Next wave of Windows refugees incoming on April 4 when Vista goes unsupported.

Windows refugees have made linux Mint (based on Debian and ubuntu) the top OS on distrowatch.com . I recommend XFCE version for machines that came with XP, or Puppy Linux for win 95/98 machines. On distrowatch Mint is #1, Ubuntu (based on Debian) is number 2, and Debian is number 3. XFCE has less system overhead than other DEs so I recommend that for older machines. A comparison of what they need ttp://www.renewablepcs.com/about-linux/kde-gnome-or-xfce

For those that try puppy be warned it is VERY DIFFERENT, but hey it runs everything from RAM.

The thing most new Linux users windows refugees need to learn is to install software from the software manager not go hunting for it on websites. When you install it from command line that means YOU will have to add it to the "start" menu. When you use the software manager it does that for you.

The names of software will sometimes be different. Chromium instead of chrome. Chrome is for Android and while Android is a nix it isn't Linux. You can get it to work but it's not an average user thing, you can also get the windows version to work in WINE but again not an average user kind of thing.

Here is the linux noobs sticky on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/linux4noobs/comments/21qq26/windows_xp_users_welcome_to_freedom/?utm_content=title&utm_medium=hot&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=linux4noobs
and a slightly updated version waiting for the mod to rework the official one https://www.reddit.com/r/linux4noobs/comments/5q99fc/ignore_testing_formatting/?utm_content=title&utm_medium=new&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=linux4noobs

They also need to understand linux uses repositories for pulling software from. The Debian world they are stable, testing, unstable. If you aren't finding a piece of software in your repo it's probably because you are on stable. You can switch to testing or use a mix, but the further you get away from stable there is a chance an update might break something.

They also need to understand some distros are FOSS meaning no proprientary closed source software included by default. Mint is popular because it adds some of it by default because that's what the fans of the mint respin demanded. ubuntu responded to that popularity by including some tick boxes to include 3rd party software on install but it still doesn't come with as much as Mint does. You can always add it yourself.

There are websites listing Linux equivalents of windows software.
http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Linux-Windows_Software_Equivalents
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoftwareEquivalents
http://www.linuxalt.com/
http://linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html
http://alternativeto.net/

I got Linux Mint on my X58 system, along with a W7 company key. I like Mint, my first one was Ubuntu 14 something and it was alright, my second was XUbuntu which I loved. I'd recommend XUbuntu or Mint.

When does W7 end?

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux4noobs/comments/5q99fc/ignore_testing_formatting/?utm_content=title&utm_medium=new&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=linux4noobs

3 short years from now.

If you like Xubuntu Mint XFCE is up your alley.

Back