About time I made some more updates.
First, my pre-charge switch now works. I lowered the resistance to about 30ohms and the controller beeps twice like it should.
Next I made a mili-ohm meter extension. (First picture below) It's all parts that can be found at the local Radio Shack. The 1.25 ohm 'resistor' is seven ten ohm resistors in parallel with a twenty-five ohm potentiometer in parallel. I run it off of the 3.3v output of the converted ATX power supply powering one of my chargers. The regulator drifts as it heats up, I really should add a head sink some time.
Third, I thought I'd post a picture of the gears I'm sending 100-150 watts through. It's the second picture below. They're puny and brass, yes that's a quarter to the left.
Fourth, I dropped some cash at the LBS and got a little more gear reduction for the motor. (see the last attached picture) Stuff should last a bit longer now.
I've also figured out how to install the set of Power Grips I bought a while ago. My feet are REALLY wide so the directions were no help. I've removed one of the screws holding the pedals together and screwed the outboard strap mount into it.
Last, everything seems to be holding up now. I can give the motor full throttle with about a 60rpm cadence (and my old gearing) and nothing breaks. I only use about three minutes of power on my whole commute. The motor should last a LONG time.
P.S. The duct tape is here to stay on this version.