48v 1000w controller help

skeltonh

10 mW
I have a 48v 1000w controller that is the closest match I have found to the original controller that came with my motor.

Model: KT48ZWSL-ZC14A

The old one was a KT48ZWL.

The main problem I have is I have no writing specs for either. Most of the connections are universal but the throttle connection differs and there are two connections that I am unsure of. On the old throttle the connection has six wires. In the new one, only five.

See attachment for picture of new controller.

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1402372582605.jpg[/attachment]

I need this bike up and running as it is my commuter bike. While I could have waited more than a month for the slow boat from China I choose local, fast, and what I could afford.

Hopefully someone here can point me to the information I need.

Thanks!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1402372582605.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1402372582605.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 5,745
What you have labeled as the throttle in your photo is actually a second hall sesnor connector. What you have labeled "Red Green Black?" should be the throttle connection. Red and black for power and green is the sense wire. Might want to wait for a second on that, but I'm pretty sure that's right.

wesnewell said:
What you have labeled as the throttle in your photo is actually a second hall sesnor connector. What you have labeled "Red Green Black?" should be the throttle connection. Red and black for power and green is the sense wire. Might want to wait for a second on that, but I'm pretty sure that's right.

I agree. Though I'm not sure that is a second hall sensor connector - it might be a display. Either way, your red/green/black is almost definitely your throttle connector.

Your old throttle probably had LED's to tell you how much battery you had left, right? And maybe some form of button or switch? That's why it had six wires. This controller uses just a simple throttle, no fancy lights or switches. To connect it, you'll need to wire just your red (+5V) wire and black (ground) wire, plus your signal wire. If you had six wires on your throttle, your signal wire is likely either white or green. I've seen blue, but it's rare. If in doubt you can just try them all (except black and red) with alligator clips until you find the one that is the signal wire. If you connect the LED or switch wires, nothing will happen and that's how you'll know its not the signal wire.

That other three pin connector, black red and grey i think you wrote, that's your pedal assist PAS connector.

That's not your writing, is it? Aliexpress has postings with pictures labeled that way.

All sorts of possibilities, but you'll solve it by guessing right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Razor-24v-1-2-Twist-Throttle-4wires-Twist-Throttle-Cable-/360846895801

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-4-wires-Thumb-Throttle-Cable-with-24-Volt-LED-Meter-with-grips-/360659249498

Don't remember if there were 4 wire curries in the past, razor uses 4 wires.

The bike may be a Currie but it has since been updated with the Chinese drive. I'll see about the three wire throttle and see how that goes. I agree that the other wide connector might be a display. The other three wire might also be the speed setting. I've seen those on some of the same brand controllers. (Low, Normal/Medium, High). I just don't want to blow something when I hook this up. Presently I have to get some parts to hook up the motor wires and am trying to get the power hookup for the 12v circuits and hide all the snakes in one box to make a more stream lined look. As long as I get the motor running and gets me to work then I'll be happy.

wesnewell said:
What you have labeled as the throttle in your photo is actually a second hall sesnor connector.....

If it is a second hall sensor connector, and my motor does not come with one, do I need to find a different controller?? Or can I use it without connecting it? I would think it exists for a reason and that I might have wasted money on a controler that does not fit my needs.....

skeltonh said:
wesnewell said:
What you have labeled as the throttle in your photo is actually a second hall sesnor connector.....

If it is a second hall sensor connector, and my motor does not come with one, do I need to find a different controller?? Or can I use it without connecting it? I would think it exists for a reason and that I might have wasted money on a controler that does not fit my needs.....

I could be wrong, but I really don't think it would be a second sensor connector. Why would it be needed anyways?

And don't worry about blowing anything in the controller when connecting your throttle and searching for the signal wire. Since your other throttle wires are just LEDs and a switch, nothing bad will happen if you connect a non signal wire to the controller's throttle signal wire (except for the red and black, don't connect those to anything but the red and black controller throttle wire).

let us know how it goes.

skeltonh said:
I plead ignorance as to the reasoning behind double hall sensors. I just know there are motors that use them. I would think you just leave one of them unconnected if your motor doesn't have them. Here's one motor that has them.
http://www.cnebikes.com/ProductShow.asp?ID=133

wesnewell said:
Here's one motor that has them.
http://www.cnebikes.com/ProductShow.asp?ID=133

Interesting. I see that motor is meant for high power/high voltage. I wonder if they assume with that higher heat generation that there's a better chance for hall sensor damage so they double up?

Found out the five wire "second hall sensor" cable is actually a Cycle Analyst and PAS control Panel wire. It requires a control panal that is compatable. Some are five wire, others are six. Mine is five. Now if I can only find the pins to cross to "Turn On" the bike.... Hooked everything else up but that plug. Guess I'm going to have to dig to get the control panel for the controler if I'm ever going to get to ride again.

On a number of controllers I've worked with, it's been a cross between red and blue on the display connector. The problem is that every controller manufacturer is different and so that doesn't mean you can count on that for your controller… :-/

That 5 wire connector is the same one used on other KT controllers to connect an LCD or LED display. My guess is that it will work with a KT-LCD1 display (or an S-lCD1, from bmsbattery,com).

You should also be able to jumper some pins, to use the controller without a display. But you will then have no control over the various available parameters.

Avitt said:
You should also be able to jumper some pins, to use the controller without a display. But you will then have no control over the various available parameters.

no luck with that. the manual in the panels show a control lead, and two data leads,plus usual power leads. guess it is all data driven...

skeltonh said:
Avitt said:

no luck with that. the manual in the panels show a control lead, and two data leads,plus usual power leads. guess it is all data driven...

Even so, isn't jumping power to one of the data wires the way it's done? On the controllers used on many bikes in my country, they have a 4 pin display, and you circumvent it by shorting the red and blue wires (positive and one data wire). Your mileage/controller may vary.

Your controller looks similar to the wiring diagram I saw at the Leafmotor website for their BLDC Motor Controllers.

Tried it. No luck so far. About to disassemble the controller to see what is going on inside. Other than that I may have to find a simple controller that will get me mobile again. I cannot stay offline like this. This is money I can't afford to keep spending.

Just a thought: where can I buy just the LCD Control Panel for this controler. I don't see where I can buy just it without a controller.

Many thanks. :D

skeltonh said:
Just a thought: where can I buy just the LCD Control Panel for this controler. I don't see where I can buy just it without a controller.

Many thanks. :D

http://www.bmsbattery.com/controller/548-s-led770-e-bike-led-meter.html
http://www.bmsbattery.com/controller/670-s-led770-e-bike-led-meter.html
http://www.bmsbattery.com/controller/549-s-led770-e-bike-led-meter.html

Flaghole said:

ooo us sellers are always better. nice find.

I didn't know about this 'ebikeling' seller. Do others? People work with him before? Seems to have a lot of stuff, and even branded 9C clones. Makes me think it isn't a small operation if he has his own branded 9C's, even if it is the old style case.

I got my controller through them. No documentation. No support. Just sells items.

any idea what kind of controller? and are you happy with it?

48v 1000w KT type. Haven't found documentation for it. Seems to not want to run without the control panel, but they don't tell you this. I have yet to get mine too run. Considering a proven alternative but I'm really strapped on money, big time. Don't want to have my investment not work but sometimes guano happens...

Back