Tesla banned from direct sales in MI

Lots of reactionary cowards round these parts, I'm afraid. Sad.

the politicians cannot be seen to bite the hand that feeds them. i expect that is the reason and they know that if someone in michigan really wants to buy a Tesla they will just order directly online or by phone and pick it up at the nearest dealer or it may even be delivered to their door. so this is not impediment to sales, imo.

More press for Tesla, car dealers, big 3 and money/time wasting politicians. Tesla FTW....

What's that?...you want to spend $100K on a particular car? NOT IN MICHIGAN, BUDDY!

Unless its through a dealer that makes political contributions, we don't want any sales tax from those kind of sales! Here in Michigan, we're going to stick with what has worked for us for over 100 years. You may claim that the world is changing, but Michigan is one place where you can DEPEND on everything staying the same.

If you are one of those horrible people who are going to ruin this country with one of those expensive EE-lec-tric cars that start right up in freezing weather...you can just waste your filthy $100K next door in Minnesota! http://www.tesladealer.com/locations/minnesota/minneapolis/

it will be interesting to see if the state will block Tesla from building the Supercharger stations in Michigan too.

maybe they will require all kinds of regulatory pushups to prove the chargers meet some specific regulations and use that to block them.

maybe the Tesla charger plug will be outlawed somehow.

or the car makers will have another one of these anti global warming goons using their newspaper pseudoscience to say it is not safe or something similar.

The best strategy is the McArthur "island hopping" doctrine from the WWII Pacific campaign. Build up dealers and charging stations all around Michigan, and just ignore them for a few years.

Rich guy wants to own a Tesla AWD? I guess he won't even consider moving to Detroit for a business opportunity...there are business opportunities in quite a few other states. Thanks Michigan! I need you to keep doing this as an example to the other states. You are the unsung hero of tech advancement by providing a real-time example of what anti-tech looks like on the street.

spinningmagnets said:
Unless its through a dealer that makes political contributions, we don't want any sales tax from those kind of sales!

So Michigan doesn't get $600k in sales tax each year from Tesla sales. One politicians share of the graft for the year is more than that.

So is the Michigan law something to do with a very specific type of business license? It would be good to keep up on the nuances that make the law enforceable.

spinningmagnets said:
The best strategy is the McArthur "island hopping" doctrine from the WWII Pacific campaign. Build up dealers and charging stations all around Michigan, and just ignore them for a few years.

Rich guy wants to own a Tesla AWD? I guess he won't even consider moving to Detroit for a business opportunity...there are business opportunities in quite a few other states. Thanks Michigan! I need you to keep doing this as an example to the other states. You are the unsung hero of tech advancement by providing a real-time example of what anti-tech looks like on the street.

A friend recently flew back from a 3 day conference in Detriot. He said when he went for a drive away from the corporate center, Detroit was derelict and in disrepair with big holes in the streets and foreclosed or abandoned structures and hungry looking folks huddled together.

It would only make sense the same folks who wisely got them where they are today through continuous corruption and selling out to corporations would also protect them from the evils of Tesla selling an EV online.

To protect and serve themselves. 'Murica!

Detroit's problems go much deeper than just the auto industry ups and downs. Race relations here for the last 100 years are at least as big a contributor to the demise of the inner city. The 1967 riots are a popular whipping boy. Problem there is that everyone ignores all the white-on-black rioting that happened here in the 40's and 50's. When the city hired its first black firefighter in the 50's, for example, white thugs went around turning over cars that had black drivers in them. The inability for different kinds of folks to get along looms large here, but it's dissipating as the generations move on. The inner city has been making a slow, steady comeback over the last 20 years or so, BTW. The retail space and blight conditions are gradually improving, but there is a long way to go. And yes, the roads all over this state are in sorry condition. The freeways in the city are among the best maintained around though.

Detroit once had a trolley system all the way up and down the main Woodward corridor. GM bought the streetcar system from the city (in the 40's or 50's), and destroyed it. The city recently broke ground on a similar new system that should be functional within a year or so. I don't think we'll see GM being allowed to buy and destroy it again.

Charging stations aren't that rare here...most of the real points of interest in Detroit are within walking distance of level 2 chargers. Ann Arbor is even better. Nissan has quick chargers all over here (at their dealerships) just like they do everywhere. I don't know of any Tesla chargers here though. I see Model S's occasionally. I see probably a dozen Volts a day during my regular 14 mile (one way) commute. They're all over the place--we're not ALL reactionary twits here.

The freeways in the city are among the best maintained around though.

Yes, they are used as a test track for the automakers daily! :p

I don't see why musk can not work around this law and open independent dealers. It would set a president for other states that want to mess with him and show they will sell regardless of the hoops.

I'm glad to hear the perspective of someone emerged in Detroit.

How cool they reinstalled some electric transportation infrastructure!

I am so grateful everyday to live in the paradise I call home. Teslas and LEAFs abound in the bay, even the ultra rare compliance car EVs are seen regularly here.

i think the electric trolleys they have here in portland are a colossal waste of money. nobody rides them. when i was driving home tonight i saw one go by on the overhead track that crosses over the street i take over to my place and the trolley was totally empty. nobody at all on it.

the city should be paying people to buy electric bikes instead of wasting billions on empty trolleys.

but i am one who marvels at the old trolley system here in portland. it was like so major you could ride almost anywhere and it was cheap and well used until buses were introduced and took over. the major bike route one block over once had a trolley on it and the tracks are still there under the asphalt. when the guys dig up the street they have to cut the trolley rails to dig deeper with the excavator.

this place is Leaf city. prius every third car almost, lotsa teslas and i saw another Spark several days ago. parked in a less than upscale neighborhood but looked like an artsy person lived there so maybe just intelligent and not out to prove something by driving on juice. alotta the little Think cars around too because a guy here who has a small garage bot up a truckload of them and brought them here and sold them at low cost so there are a lot of them around, considering how rare they really are. i know there are at least two ZENN cars around here too. mine is the best though.

Heavens, the City of Portland isn't spending a dime on those trolleys, it's making money from the taxes this successful (Since 1872) private business pays. I'm surprised to hear someone say they run empty, though I only know them from reputation. It would sure be something I'd like to see if I ever go to Portland.

If instead of the trolley you were referring to the Portland Streetcar system, they claim ridership of over 20,000 daily weekday. http://www.portlandstreetcar.org/images/ridership_actualvprediction.jpg That I believe is run by the city. Another interesting sight. They have mobile music festivals in those cars. http://streetcarmobilemusicfest.org/

boyandbean.jpg

Or perhaps since you were looking up at it you meant the aerial tram, which boasts "In addition to one of the nation's only aerial commuter trams, you'll see cars, buses, shuttles, a streetcar, a soaring pedestrian bridge, a shipyard, a cycle track, and the densest bike parking in America's #1 biking city. Bike valet is offered free to the public at Portland Aerial Tram. It is sponsored by OHSU and operated by our partner Go By Bike." (Figured this group would like hearing about the bikes.) http://www.bicycling.com/news/advocacy/americas-best-bike-city-portland-oregon Or you can take the streetcar to get there.

I'm dying to go there and see it all.

original.jpg

Back