E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

stritzky said:
DunkenKBliths said:
Hey guys...

coming up to 10km...think its time for a VBOX clean out and re grease

tips ...and what cleaner to use ? (I already use Super Lube for the grease)

Dunk

Use 1 - 2 Cans of WD40 To clean out all the old gunk. Alex had a post about this some time ago.

I would not recommend using WD40 for this. You risk washing out grease from parts of the box that cannot be regreased by injecting new grease into the 4 ports.
You should do as the Vboxx manual recommends and use a low viscosity gear box oil.

If you like pimping out your ride, these look cool: http://www.quigleymotorsport.com/accessories.html

Particularly like the way the full metal jacket protects the underside.

Dlogic said:
Here we go now, the time has come for a small premier. Possibly the web´s first Vboxx repair video. Enjoy! :D

Part 1, the disection:

[youtube]pruRTLlFsiA[/youtube]

Part 2, the shafts explained

[youtube]1oI2O1F0k3g[/youtube]

Part 3, assembly and adjustment

[youtube]Zgog-W3QLVw[/youtube]

:mrgreen:

I would not recommend using WD40 for this. You risk washing out grease from parts of the box that cannot be regreased by injecting new grease into the 4 ports.
You should do as the Vboxx manual recommends and use a low viscosity gear box oil.
[/quote]

Martin, aka Dlogic, made these excellent tutorial videos on splitting the Vboxx case for repairs and assembly. Couple of years back, I PM' Martin and asked for his advice about servicing the Vboxx, He told me the following: Use bicycle chain degreaser and put a bunch of it in one the upper grease filling holes, ride around gently for a km or so gently pedaling and shifting through all of the gears. Then stand the bike up straight and remove the bottom drain screw on the vboxx and drain out all of the old grease and degreaser fluid. It will take a bit, and there may be some degreaser fluid leaking out of the sides, which is normal as the Vboxx isn't "water tight". After completely drained, put the plug back in and refill with grease placing even amounts in all 4 ports and pedal shifting back and forth between 1-9. Now this is not verbatim how Martin worded it, I can't remember all as there was additional explanations provided by him. Anyway, Villian, not trying to discredit your comment, but I have done 2 services, 3 services after tomorrow as my dad is down visiting me on the Vboxx. In the past I used WD40 to decrease the old transmission case following Martins guide lines, and then re-greasing with super lube. Its worked great and haven't had any issues with the vboxx. I also found that putting 30cc of grease in each hole, vs 20cc such as the manual says helps with pedal smoothness in gears 2, 4, 6, and 8.

It's too bad they don't make anything for the Fighter. I'm not crazy about a lot of it but a kickstand would be nice.

SamM

Teddy, sorry if this is a dumb question, but what do the bar end tassels actually do? I suppose they'd keep flies off your forearms. Good in the Outback.

I've appreciate my kick stand very much. At first I didn't love the way it looked, but soon after installing it I got used to it, and now I hardly notice it. It's very solid, and confidence inspiring. I never worry that my bike is going to fall over no matter what kind of surface I'm parked on.

At first I was a little concerned about it looking too motorcycle like, because it is so strong, and sturdy looking, but considering the rest of the bike, it hardly adds much more to that. I looks right at home on such a beefy looking bike. For $115 it isn't too hard on the wallet either. I didn't invent it though, I just copied other Bomber owners that came before me, and were nice enough to let me know about it.

Emmett said:
Teddy, sorry if this is a dumb question, but what do the bar end tassels actually do? I suppose they'd keep flies off your forearms. Good in the Outback.

They have several important functions. Swatting fly's is only one of them. Their main job is to act as a kind of hypnotic decoy to divert attention away from the rest of the bike in case one of the local constabulary might get the wrong idea about thinking he just saw an illegal, unregistered moped going 50 mph down the street, right before his lying eyes. At the same time they stealthily allow me to fly my freak flag in the face of conformity, in a world of uptight yuppie's, hipster's, and rednecks. Or maybe it's just cause like them LOL.

Theodore Voltaire said:
Emmett said:

They have several important functions. Swatting fly's is only one of them. Their main job is to act as a kind of hypnotic decoy to divert attention away from the rest of the bike in case one of the local constabulary might get the wrong idea about thinking he just saw an illegal, unregistered moped going 50 mph down the street, right before his lying eyes. At the same time they stealthily allow me to fly my freak flag in the face of conformity, in a world of uptight yuppie's, hipster's, and rednecks. Or maybe it's just cause like them LOL.

And TV you forgot to mention that you always can tie up your bike to something. With those streamers.

I'm noticing that my front fender is doing a really good job of keeping the under area of my frame, and my controller clean. Same with the back, around the shock, and seat frame. It's still taking some time to get used to having a fender though, because when I'm riding down the street, and I ride across a water trail, I still duck out of habit like I'm going my face sprayed again.

stritzky said:
And TV you forgot to mention that you always can tie up your bike to something. With those streamers.

Yeah, I can think of a million other uses. Devout Catholics could tie metal balls to them for flagellation during holidays. I think they're dying for an inventor to come along and make a battery powered set of remote controlled, color changing fiber optic streamers for night riding.

While cleaning the unit I noticed an evil sounding crunch from the freewheel..I remember someone saying that it happened to them. I did a search and found that a good cleaning and re-greasing fixed it. So I cleaned mine out w WD40 spraying in the seam until came out the other side (closest to the motor) nice and clean. After that I repacked the bearing with grease with my finger, like how you repack an automotive wheel bearing. Still sounded crunchy. Took it for a ride and the crunch is gone..

I am buying a white industries ENO 16t, the park tool (to be milled to fit the axle) for when the bearing really shits the bed.

Thanks for the info fellas.

On another note Im finding that if im beating on the bike (lots of elevation changes 90% dirt hill climbs, jumping etc.. average speed more than 20mph) im getting 2 miles per AMP. 30.5 miles 15 amps. That is with pedaling.

I think that pedaling on the 50 kg bike does not save your battery much if you go aggressively. When you consume 4500 Watts and try to pedal with your 200-250 watts is like pissing in the lake :)

Allex said:
I think that pedaling on the 50 kg bike does not save your battery much if you go aggressively. When you consume 4500 Watts and try to pedal with your 200-250 watts is like pissing in the lake :)

This is true.... I like to pedal for the workout. It feels weird to not pedal when they are sittin right there at my feet!! If i get even a hair more distance goodie for me maybe that's a placebo! If i didn't pedal the bomber wouldn't make it up some of the hills im hitting. Not for the elevation change but the terrain is loose, rocky and also very steppy.

Saving power when pedaling is really only noticeable at extreme low speeds, like 5 to 10 mph. That doesn't mean pedaling doesn't help though. I think it does. It helps a little with acceleration, and even top speed, but it doesn't extend your range noticeably unless you're going real slow.

For riding in the city pedaling makes a big difference in peoples perception of what it is you're riding. When they see you pedaling, they automatically think bicycle. I try to always pedal when I'm riding around, but it tires me out when I'm going over 35, so then I have to rely on the streamers.

You know, we talk a fair bit here about not drawing attention from the cops, but I'm curious, how many here have actually been stopped by the cops? What happened?

If you haven't, how often do general punters ask about what you're riding? Are they interested or suspicious?

ryrideswhat said:
You know, we talk a fair bit here about not drawing attention from the cops, but I'm curious, how many here have actually been stopped by the cops? What happened?

If you haven't, how often do general punters ask about what you're riding? Are they interested or suspicious?

I've never been stopped on my bomber, but there have been occasions where I've spoken to police officers when I'm riding it. None of them have ever given me any trouble.

Theodore Voltaire said:
ryrideswhat said:

I've never been stopped on my bomber, but there have been occasions where I've spoken to police officers when I'm riding it. None of them have ever given me any trouble.

Ditto. They ask about it. Think its cool. Thats about it. I've never gotten any crap from anyone about it. Not on the road or on MTB trails.

Allex said:
Yeah but the manin thing, when they ask how fast it is and how powerfull - what do you say?

When that question comes up, and it has more than once, I always answer the same way. It's electronically limited to the legal limit officer. This is a truthful statement, my bike is limited to the legal limit. I just don't turn it on very often, but they never ask about that. :roll:

I've never been stopped either. But I did have some interesting looks, when going fast the first time I had the Fighter on the local trail. I've tried to tone it down somewhat since then. Nobody really even notices me now and I ride with a Moose Racing MX helmet and Oakley googles. The key is petaling. As long as I am petaling, people think it's a bicycle and nothing more.

SamM

Samer said:
Allex said:
I have been tinkering about Air Cooling for Our Bomber motors. Still not Final but here is the idea on the Intake(cold air in) holes.
More details here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62650&start=50#p963693
file.php

Whats the plan to prevent dust and water from getting inside the hub motor?

Dust is okay, I never ride during the rain anyway.
You should polish your rear aluminium mount to match with those sick Formula brakes! Bike is looking good. How are the new brakes compared to new ones? You feel any difference?

5000kms now and have yet to be pulled over. I always pedal though and take it easy when in parks or around crowds. Three bike cops pulled up to me once at a red light and asked if it was electric? I said yes and they just told me it looked like a beast and to "have a good ride". Had some nasty looks on local mtb trails but when questioned I just say that I raced the local circuit for ten years and was tired of the training and that my knees are bothering me now (true). All other comments have been favourable.....

Merlin said:
what kick stand is it?

It's a Moose Racing clamp on stand for a Honda CR80. It's not an exact fit, but with very slight modification to the clamp it works very well.

http://www.mooseracing.com/products/?productGroupId=1131

Back