Aussie, Brisbane & goldcoast people

Went with a great ride with Newb the other day, and now know there are two areas I want to explore. First time going somewhere is more fun for me...

I want to see what we can ride around the gold creek reservoir.. Anyone interested let me know here and I'll put a list together of best time to suit all.

I have 18s2p now and you will need (about a 30km range similarly) as a minimum to join in... It will be about a 3 hour ride from my house in the Gap to there and back with stops for motor cooling...
plan is to do it within the next week or so. Best is weekdays but if enough interest we can go for a weekend.

This is a lot of the type of terrain you will cover.

[youtube]fSXIwlSMPNQ[/youtube]

It's been a couple of months since my last fruitless attempt to get a group for a long off road adventure. I am not shy to try again.

This one is a very long ride. I reckon oldhaq, newb and any other new to the Brisbane off road riding scene would like.

-27.432805, 152.890884

I propose starting off via the dam, then along south boundary, right into centre road. That way if we run into difficulty or run out of battery toward the last third of the ride we've got Mt. Nebo road (bitumen). If there is no problem then the dirt trail parallel mt. nebo road.

I am guessing about 40 kms. Lots of pedalling for me. Lots of motor for hill run ups...

My proposed date for this epic ride is in a week or two. Time of day: morning, so no rush.

As usual feel free to use my house as a meeting point and/or charge point.

Attachments

• centre road.png
    centre road.png
    177 KB · Views: 6,652
mostly onroad bit of light off road for interested parties

11am today Sunday - meet at mine the gap

pm for detail...

SummaryMax 25Partly cloudy.Chance of any rain: 10%Rainfall amount: 0 mm
Brisbane area
Partly cloudy. Patchy fog early this morning, mainly through western suburbs. The chance of a shower or two about Bayside suburbs this morning. Light winds becoming easterly 15 to 20 km/h in the early afternoon then becoming light in the evening.

Hopefully everyone is already aware of the massive increase in police presence that is occurring in Brisbane at the moment and especially next week.
Might be a good idea for anyone who commutes with a custom electric bicycle to give it a miss, next week especially. Wouldn't want anyone to get a ticket or have their bike confiscated.

John Bozi said:
It's been a couple of months since my last fruitless attempt to get a group for a long off road adventure. I am not shy to try again.

This one is a very long ride. I reckon oldhaq, newb and any other new to the Brisbane off road riding scene would like.

-27.432805, 152.890884

I propose starting off via the dam, then along south boundary, right into centre road. That way if we run into difficulty or run out of battery toward the last third of the ride we've got Mt. Nebo road (bitumen). If there is no problem then the dirt trail parallel mt. nebo road.

I am guessing about 40 kms. Lots of pedalling for me. Lots of motor for hill run ups...

My proposed date for this epic ride is in a week or two. Time of day: morning, so no rush.

As usual feel free to use my house as a meeting point and/or charge point.

Who's up for a group trail ride? Come on, get your bikes happening :!:
We're blessed to have awesome trails so close

Would be keen, my bike is still teething though. I don't know if I could do 40kms on battery alone so might need to ride towards the end...

That was a while ago, my range realistically now is 20km (30 is possible but that's with lots of crawling on every hill) or best at 2 sets of 15km.

I can't pedal to extend range anymore unless at 8kmh so not much fun keeping pace in a pack.

I'd be most happy doing a 15k trip from my place, returning for a 2 hour recharge chat and lunch and then going again for another 15k trip.

This is easier on the battery, more fun then pedalling and would give most your motors a cool down period. My motor never overheats because I have two motors, no matter the terrain. The hub does most the ride and the granny gear mid drive does the steep stuff.

It is easy to do two different areas this way too.

Oldhaq I hope you got a new rear tyre and tube on ...

any day from Saturday suits me, I've got 2 weeks off.

Yeah John, got a chunky 24x3 Vuelta on back now, though I had to trim the side knobs a bit to fit.
Heaps thicker sidewalls than the DMR gumwall, will be less prone to punctures now.

I'm free weekends and Wednesdays and Thursdays.

Weekends are less desirable because of other people using the trails, however they are doable if more riders can get along.

Oldhaq Your bike is going to rip up those tracks with that much extra traction now! :twisted:

I wonder if your spokes broke at the same time as the pinch flats...

[youtube]d8aUes0kINU[/youtube]

xlr8, not sure if you know but "Newb" has left our continent for good..... This was the last ride we got him out for....

Ok xlr8 I reckon Oldhaq will be good for Wed too.

so depending on weather, thursday could also be another option as a back up.

Everyone is welcome, Pm for address if you have never been out to mine or have lost details...

Only thing I've got is an appointment at 9 with a doc, which usually only takes 15mins so I should be right to meet and leave at mine at 10am. That would be an hour ride (takes me half an hour because I don't need to stop to cool the motor). Recharge for a few hours and a chat and another ride is possible for a similar length. I can always point anyone to some trails that want to go off alone and blow more battery alone too.

That should see us finishing up before 4pm.

Make sure you guys have got your knobbies on 8) and note there are some long steep sections which can be challenging especially on hubs, but can be walked if you are concerned.

Great, see you Wednesday then, be there or be 8)

Where do you think we'll be heading John, Mt Nebo first, then Mt Coot-tha?
You mentioned recharge for a few hours, aren't you bulk charging now?

yup - but 360 watts

when I rode to Newbs only spent about 5ah for 12km - but I rode in efficency mode - crawled up the first mountain and most of the rest was open road hub. Took an hour to charge

For off road 15km fun riding keeping pace with you guys I estimate a bit over 10ah so 2 hours to recharge.

Anyways no need to rationalize too much, If I could be bothered I might even pull apart the battery to charge up to 4.1 = 61.5v my max for the controller before you get to mine. slight better range.

ALso if you are desperate for two rides over the next week, and tomorrow's good weather you are welcome to come try the really rough steep stuff which is the closest to my house. I don't think anyone will be able to ride bar you and me. It will be up down up down 200 metre climbs in 30 minutes.

Another option if my bike can be tethered safely on xclr8's trailer, and Rob drives up too.

We could drive up deep into Mt. Nebo. Leave two cars there and ride back on south boundary, It's a collosal I think about 25km ride but it is predominantly down hill, so I think under 10 ah is enough to get back to mine.

From there I can drive you guys back to your cars and drive back.

Not sure how safe leaving the cars up in the middle of nowhere is though.

I have done this run before when my bro dropped me off.

I've got a 12->230v 4kw pure sine wave inverter we could possibly throw into the mix if a car is involved. Don't know how, but it's an option.

My bike is pretty fragile so I don't know if it would work in the trailer, it was just an idea.

Here's where we stopped with the car. You can see if you zoom in to the trail it's south boundary road all the way back to mine.... Much easier to charge at my place.

https://goo.gl/maps/Z8WEI

What are the tracks like after a lot of rain? I am wondering if next week might be better. My bike isn't designed for wet, muddy conditions and come to think of it neither am I . Okay, I am a "woos" .

Most of it is better as we are no going through valleys and creeks.

We might pass a few puddles which will spray a bit of mud up but its better than totally dry eating Rob's dust.

If it rains tomorrow that's another story for tomorrow.

LOL
images.jpg
It wont help then that I've upped the amps a bit to take advantage of the beefier knobby on the back

My-Dust.jpg

btw John, I can bring over the 6s zippy packs I got of Zak, but might not be practical depending how permanent your packs are attached to your frame

LOL nice pic and yeah knobbs always mean more gets kicked up.... :evil:

weather keeps changing -

30% rain for tomorrow forecast

0% for Thursday

I am not riding out if its raining or the bitumen is totally covered as it means a crap load of ass spray,,,,

If it looks like it might rain I am happy to ride out but closer by so can return in 10 minutes..... trust me Rob there is still lots of fun trail that close to mine.

As for the extra bats. I'd have to back pack them, and Im not fond of more than a couple on my back with a tether. I'd have to undo a lot of wiring just to ride back on 12s1p hardly worth doing. They'd cook my back if I try to haul 70amps out of 1p too.

Best thing is to do a pm or phone call before coming over to discuss how shitty the weather looks when the forecasts get more accurate.

If we trust the forecastyesterday, today was suppose to be raining and it was bloody perfect!

Back