$52 DIY 16s1p 256Wh LiFePO4 modular battery for intermodal commuting ebike

bancars

1 mW
I'm thinking about building a 256Wh 16s1p 32650 BatteryHookup LiFePO4 no-weld/no-solder battery for commuting. The idea is:

*$52 cost for the entire battery (plus cost of battery case, springs, etc).
https://batteryhookup.com/products/new-battery-hookup-lifep04-32650-3-2v-5000mah-cells
D-cell cases & springs will probably work, because D-cells have 33 mm diameter & 61.5mm length.
Question: Is LiFePO4 still the best chemistry for pedal-speed commuting, especially if fire safety is important?

*25km/h (15.5mph) average flatland speed, 75W average pedal power, 121W (.47C) average battery drain, 4.8 Wh/km (7.8 Wh/mi).
https://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html?motor=MG01_STD&batt=B4810_LiF

*Uphill: Double pedal power to 150W, slow down enough to keep battery drain below 1C and keep 250W hub motor from overheating. Ex: 9% grade at 11 km/h (7mph).
Question: Do hub motors usually have temperature sensors? Does it make sense to add oil/Statoraide so that the sensor temperature is closer to the real temperature of the windings?
Question: Is there any problem with using a 48V battery with a 48V controller and 36V 250W motor? Seems like it would work, if controllers reduce battery voltage in order to limit motor speed.

*No BMS, never let SoC get above 80% or below 20%, 154Wh usable battery capacity, 32 km (19.7mi) range, 19.7*2000=39400 mile (63500km) battery lifetime.
Question: What's LiFePO4's calendar life? Does it still have 80% of it's capacity at that point, and would it have 64% of it's original capacity after two calendar lifetimes?

*Easy shipping: In USA, assembled lithium-ion batteries <300Wh, and unassembled cells <20Wh, are easily ground-shippable.

*Intermodal (cars/buses/trains): Most buses & trains allow ebikes, and don't restrict battery chemistry. However, LFP is much more fire-safe than NCA or NMC, and I would guess that in the future, LFP in ground-shippable sizes may be the only allowable battery type, and this battery would meet those anticipated future regulations.

*Spring-loaded batteries can have hotspot/overdischarge/overcharge/balancing problems due to variable electrical connections within P-groups going unnoticed, but 1P design means that a spotty electrical connection would be as obvious as the ebike suddenly losing power.

*No welding/soldering equipment or skills are needed, no cells are damaged by a poor welding/soldering job, and I can get a working DIY ebike far sooner than if I had to buy equipment and practice techniques. Also, the upgrade path remains open-- I can build a big spot-welded battery and add a BMS whenever I'm ready.

What do you think?

LFP is indeed the best choice for lowest fire risk among LI chemistries.

But lower energy density, mostly counts it out if you are very weight conscious.

Back