Alien Drive Systems- new Urban commuter build

drmacgyver said:
Nice board! What's the length on that deck? Looks shorter than 36", but could just be the angle

The deck is 35" but with a pretty small wheel base due to the long nose and tail kick..its a bit lively with this much power :shock: ..as i say im hoping to get some 36" custom decks made that the Urban kit will fit straight on... :D I think it will be just the right size then..

Richard,
can you express the driving range decrease in percentage , eg. 10%.... ? I'm trying to estimate my range when using 6s 5000mAh when converting from urethane wheels to your wheels.
As you might know I still have the "old motormount" and for me this works well, do you have any idea on belt teeth count that I would need for a 15t motorpinion ?

I've calculated a topspeed of roughly 20 km/h which would be around 5 km/h less than my current set-up. Since I've rarely drove 25km/h I guess the 20km/h would be ok for me.

And do you also sell the four wheels + 60t pulley + drive belt ? (you can also sent me pm)

thanks a lot !
regards
Sebastien

(my built: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=56568)

Hey Sebastien, How do you feel riding the 83mm ? Isn't it too big ? do you have great torque and that riding doesn't feel bulky ? I am really thinking about moving either to 83mm or 85 seismic speed vents :D On your build, the riser is just to avoid the motor touching the deck right? not for wheel clearance .. or both ?

okp said:
Hey Sebastien, How do you feel riding the 83mm ? Isn't it too big ? do you have great torque and that riding doesn't feel bulky ? I am really thinking about moving either to 83mm or 85 seismic speed vents :D On your build, the riser is just to avoid the motor touching the deck right? not for wheel clearance .. or both ?

83mm isn't too big. I actually switched to 90mm and it's actually much more fun. I'm able to roll over a lot more things.

okp said:

Hi okp,
the 83mm doesn't ride bulky, it gives a good ride and stability and crossing leaves and small branches is no problem. The risers are there mainly to reduce vibrations to the deck, but also for motor and wheel clearance.
I have great torque, I cannot give full throttle (even now the start power of the esc is programmed to the softest mode), without getting thrown off the board !
When I ride across the bridge I take over all bikers on the way up as well :)
But of course I'm a light weight rider with only about 70kg on it ...

I'm currently considering to go for 5" air inflatable wheels, for more comfort since after riding for many kilometers at a time, the vibrations make my feet feeling numb. Also it will give me more freedom to choose for other, not perfectly flat roads....

regards
Sebastien

666yeti666 said:
Richard,
can you express the driving range decrease in percentage , eg. 10%.... ? I'm trying to estimate my range when using 6s 5000mAh when converting from urethane wheels to your wheels.
As you might know I still have the "old motormount" and for me this works well, do you have any idea on belt teeth count that I would need for a 15t motorpinion ?

I've calculated a topspeed of roughly 20 km/h which would be around 5 km/h less than my current set-up. Since I've rarely drove 25km/h I guess the 20km/h would be ok for me.

And do you also sell the four wheels + 60t pulley + drive belt ? (you can also sent me pm)

thanks a lot !
regards
Sebastien

(my built: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=56568)
Sorry Seb,Ive only just seen your question.. I would estimate the decrease is around 25%..depending how hard you have the tires inflated..
What motor are you using with the 6s?. ( i obtained 18mph with 6S 270KV and 22mph with 7S-using the 14Tx60T).I sell all the parts separately including a 4x wheel pack but TBH at the moment the Urban 5 kits are on offer and its the cheapest way to buy.. the wheels are basically at cost price..
You will need to look at wheel bite with these larger wheels..you need this clearance- 70mm from the rear truck holes.
57fe1e23-1cbd-4780-be62-c50453eb53e5_zpseepydiri.jpg

Hi Richard,
ok thx for the good info ! I will calculate my driving range for my 6s 5000mAh packs then.

I'm currenty using the 170kv 63mm motor with 6s lipo (and 15t-32t gears) from Bruno and I like it very well because it has that nice brutal torque !
Considering your speed measurements, they are pretty close to what I have calculated, which means for my 170kv motor and 15t motorpinion it will come to 12mph (=20km/h) .
And now I understand why you've choosen to increase the motor kv to 270 which will give more descent speeds.

I've seen your combination package in the meantime.
Does my 63mm also fit on to the Urban 5 kit mount, since that is made for 50mm motors? (also due to the 14t pinion with 8mm bore...).
In principle I would only need : 4 complete wheels + 60t pinion+ drive belt : ~110euro . (Complete urban 5 kit : ~170euro).
For the price difference I could consider to change to the 50mm 270kv motor in a later stage, when the max speed is too low indeed (this one from Bruno : http://alienpowersystem.com/shop/50mm/alien-5065-outrunner-brushless-motor-270kv-2200wa/)

Indeed good info regarding wheel bite,I would have to change my 36” board significantly, which means my foot positions (width) on the board will be decreased by almost 10cm which I think is too much. So I have to consider another board as well. Maybe a nice opportunity to step over to a nice long board , just as the Evolve AT ones : 43”! ( I like snowboard cruising style).

I understood you were in discussion with a board manufacturer .. ?

regards
Sebastien

2015-02-07 08.30.27-a.jpg

2015-02-07 08.30.47-a.jpg

2015-02-07 08.32.18-a.jpg

At present the urban 5 kit is strictly for use with 50 mm motor. ..however I have made it easy to swap wheel pulleys and so yes it will be possible to use a 63mm motor. .I am just waiting for Bruno to send me a sensor 63mm motor and I will test speed and belt fitment etc . Hopefully that kit will be available in a few weeks. .I think 20-24mph is easily achievable.
Yes I have a couple of options I'm working on for decks. .I'm just waiting for the suppliers to send sample decks ..The will be 36 and 40" with slight drop and big wheel cuts...

beetbocks said:
Yes I have a couple of options I'm working on for decks. .I'm just waiting for the suppliers to send sample decks ..The will be 36 and 40" with slight drop and big wheel cuts...

Hi Richard, this is a quite old post, but I'm still looking for a nice long deck (42" at least) for the 5" pneumatic wheels. Weather's become better so any suggestions are welcome. Then I can order the 5"wheels ...

thanks
Sebastien

Back