• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Approximate cost of materials to build a basic chromoly MTB bike frame?

Hey Nep, if it means anything to you I was in a semi similar position about 12-18months ago after my BikeE AT suspension failed for the 2nd time.

Not wanting to continue paying others to weld it, I decided to investigate learning/doing myself.

In the end, what tipped me over the edge was discovering the newer welders that are 'automatic' with settings etc. i.e. you tell it what you are doing and it sets up everything for you. Obviously you can then tweak things as needed, but it's a far easier starting point.
I ended up going with the Cigweld 185 ultra for around $1500AUD. Not cheap, but Stick/MIG/TIG capable and from a reputable/reliable brand.

Since then it's proven extremely useful and I've build all sorts of awesome things from a trailer cage to, fire pokers, and repaired tons like an Escooter and ironing board just earlier this week.

I still haven't made any bike frames, but I'm slowly collecting metal, old bikes and just trying to get better at welding with other things. Eventually I'll give it a crack!

I would say, just jump in a get something and start playing around (safely). You'll be surprised how useful a welder can be!

Cheers

1/16 inches is 1.5mm and the thickest metal i need to join is 2mm ( headtube ).
It sounds like i need something bigger.

What do i need to weld up to 2.25mm thick chromoly?
Tip supplied in the kit is not large enough. All that's need larger tip. Small tanks will drain faster but otherwise a larger tank is not needed.

Oxy Propane flame temp is 5,100F
Oxy Acetylene is 6,000F

Propane does work.
Acetylene works better.

Last edited:
They tend to offer two types of "welding classes". One is for artistic for people interesting in metal sculpture. The others type would be tradesmen that want to obtain certifications for employment. The artistic ones are a complete waste of time.
Yea... I did a gig in a Community College environment. While the young welding kiddies were busy making hot puddles... I was off in LaLa Land demonstrating to the "artist" wannbes how to "waste their time".;)..

My Raleigh....
1717643689277.jpeg

My Miniatures... Spokes&Sprockets
1717644184991.jpeg

Or my stupid f**king titanium mugs... GoldMineRems

1717644712992.jpeg

Sorry 'bout the OT Chief...

Last edited:
In the end, what tipped me over the edge was discovering the newer welders that are 'automatic' with settings etc. i.e. you tell it what you are doing and it sets up everything for you. Obviously you can then tweak things as needed, but it's a far easier starting point.
I ended up going with the Cigweld 185 ultra for around $1500AUD. Not cheap, but Stick/MIG/TIG capable and from a reputable/reliable brand.

Yeah. I'm surprised at how much TIG welder you can get for the buck these days. I like that they can be more forgiving; i would think that would reduce the steep learning curve for TIG.

Since then it's proven extremely useful and I've build all sorts of awesome things from a trailer cage to, fire pokers, and repaired tons like an Escooter and ironing board just earlier this week.

Omg i can't wait until i can do that. That sounds like a ton of fun.

I still haven't made any bike frames, but I'm slowly collecting metal, old bikes and just trying to get better at welding with other things. Eventually I'll give it a crack!

Recumbents next? :)

I would say, just jump in a get something and start playing around (safely). You'll be surprised how useful a welder can be!

Cheers

Thanks for your words of motivation!

Sorry 'bout the OT Chief...

Honestly i'm kind of loving those showoff posts, gets the gears spinning in my mind!
I'm fixated on that recumbent design you posted. It's super inspiring!
OT appreciated in this case :)

Another "show off" picture . . .
This was made in high school metal shop shortly after the "Easy Racer" movie came out in 1969 ~ 55 years ago.
Welding school in those days was either Oxy/Acetylene or stick, no MIG or TIG.
My teacher was so enamored with it he entered it in several fairs where it earned a third place ribbon at each showing.

Easy Rider.JPG

Back