Battery backpack

gordone

10 W
Because of my frame I need to have the battery in backpack. I`m planning to use a backpack made for spare battery, so my back is protected etc...

My questions is what option to do you have for cabling the battery to the frame?
Different cabels to use ?
Different cable routing to choice ?

I see people recommend to have the XT60 under the seat (in front), and then take the cable from the inside the backpack and mount it to the belly belt and then take it straight down to the seat and connect it...
I see poeple saying uing coil cable is not a good option?

How many mm^2 must the cable be?

TSDZ 48v with 52 battery.

gordone said:
I see people recommend to have the XT60

In that area use the XT-90s and you get a much stronger connector and it has a built in surge resistor.

That way you can disconnect and reconnect easily.

As for wire I think 10 AWG is about right... better stronger than too weak.

Mounting decisions seem like something you can figure out.

Thank you for advice.

I have already XT90 connetors, the battery shall have build in protection against short circuit?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313476072320?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Cable 10 AWG / 6.0 mm^2 thank you, will look into what I have alreday.

Do you have photos off how you have done it when it comes to lengt and routing of cabel between backpack and frame ?

Thank you :)

gordone said:
Do you have photos off how you have done it when it comes to lengt and routing of cabel between backpack and frame ?

I have put batteries into a backpack and used wire to connect them to the ebike but only for testing purposes and not as a permanent setup.

All I know is that after twenty minutes of riding that packback starts to feel pretty heavy.

Now that's not a bad thing because like working out in the gym extra weights will build up your strength over time, but it does feel a little different than having the battery attached to the frame.

I understand, don`t have the option to have it on the frame, then I must go for a smaler battery :)
Will start with a good packpack with good support first and then take it from there.. hope I get used to have it on the packpack :) I walking with packpack that are heaveier so I don`t think it will be a problem.

I found two cabels:

01:
This cable was not marked with size, but measured it to 2,7mm (diameter)...
It has more isulation aorund so it`s stiffer....
01.jpg

02:
These cable is 10 AWG and isulation is thinner.. maybe more flexible ... ?
02.jpg

gordone said:
Because of my frame I need to have the battery in backpack.

That's refusing to solve your problem and creating another one instead.

If you had a car with a leaky fuel tank, would you drive with a gas can in your lap instead of fixing it?

haha good point :) but I`m not negative to have in the backpack, I can see it common to have a spare battery in packpack made for battery (protection of back) and also many report improve weight distribution when cycling offroad.

hehe

So I`m not negative, if its hopless then I will need to find a new frame :)

Dont overthink the solution too much...or listen to folk who dont like the idea.
10g is more than enough, 12 g is plenty.
Start with 1.5 mtrs straight cable ( no need for spiral) and experiment with routing and connector location ( under seat is good)
If necessary put the excess cable into the backpack temorarily until you figure out what routing suits your personal mount/ dismount method.
I run 16ah , 48v lipo “flightpacks” , (3-4 kg) in a cheap backpack and can ride for hours comfortably.
Once you get used to it it has advantages to remove the weight of the pack from the bike..especially for off road.

Hillhater said:
Dont overthink the solution too much...or listen to folk who dont like the idea.
10g is more than enough, 12 g is plenty.
Start with 1.5 mtrs straight cable ( no need for spiral) and experiment with routing and connector location ( under seat is good)
If necessary put the excess cable into the backpack temorarily until you figure out what routing suits your personal mount/ dismount method.
I run 16ah , 48v lipo “flightpacks” , (3-4 kg) in a cheap backpack and can ride for hours comfortably.
Once you get used to it it has advantages to remove the weight of the pack from the bike..especially for off road.

Have recived all the parts I need now :)

I have a question for you.
How have you ended up having the cable from the seat and into the backpack? Photos?

. How have you ended up having the cable from the seat and into the backpack? Photos?
Nothing complex...
Straight cable from the top of the backpack,...down my back ,under my right arm, across my body and back between my legs round the lefthand side of the seat post to the connector.
This allows my normal mount/ dismount from the LH side ( right leg over the seat).
Your best bet is to try what suits you best depending on how you get on/off the bike ..( ie,..if you do a “step through” type mount , you may want to keep all the cable behind you) ..hence the suggestion to start off with a little extra cable.
PS..i use a connector (bullet type) that is not too “tight” such that should i fall, the connector separates rather than break a cable somewhere !

Back