Battery between frame and rear wheel.

bram

1 mW
I am a big fan of having the battery between frame and the rear wheel, like pictured below:

IMG-0339.jpg

And especially so if the seat collapses upwards.

Is there a name for this configuration?

And do manufacturers still use these kind of frames, or have they all shifted towards custom battery cases in their front tubes? It seems as if all current bikes have the battery in-frame, in the frame triangle, or on top of the rear wheel?

If feels as if everything on an eBike got better throughout the years, except for the battery access?

Is there a name for this configuration?

Cheap and horrible.

If you like this layout, you'll be much better off building your own than trying to deal with one of the many crappy e-bikes set up that way originally. Maybe I'm mistaken and there are nice examples, but I have yet to see one.

The best one of such bikes I ever dealt with was an R Martin that was given to me in inoperable condition. I de-electrified it and made it tons better in the process. Then later after my roommate took possession of it, I re-electrified it and made it even better.

Then my (ex) roommate left it locked only to itself on his front porch, and somebody stole it. I reckon whoever swiped it probably couldn't keep it running as an e-bike, and it's barely worth messing with as a pedal bike.

Last edited:
Cheap and horrible.

If you like this layout, you'll be much better off building your own than trying to deal with one of the many crappy e-bikes set up that way originally. Maybe I'm mistaken and there are nice examples, but I have yet to see one.
Maybe the eBikes that came this way were cheap and horrible.
I don't see how the configuration itself is either cheap or horrible?
I expect it to be expensive to customize those frames, instead. Slapping a battery on the front tube or rear rack is much cheaper.

Maybe the eBikes that came this way were cheap and horrible.
I don't see how the configuration itself is either cheap or horrible?
I expect it to be expensive to customize those frames, instead. Slapping a battery on the front tube or rear rack is much cheaper.

Nothing wrong with the configuration per se, it's just that all such bikes I ever saw were wretched and poor.

The battery type used on most of them is sold generically as "silverfish" and is relatively easy to buy separately. The flip-up seatposts are all shopping-cart quality, which is to say crude, steely, and heavy, but functional.

If you can get your hands on a dead example, you could improve it greatly even by using cheap commodity parts. Don't expect the frame to be anything better than bottom rung quality.

For what it's worth, one of the ways I improved the one I reconfigured multiple times was by fitting it with a triangle battery instead of a silverfish battery. The former battery bay got a slim cargo pod instead.

Back