BBSxx purchase - which vendor's (differing) kit?

Autocycle

10 µW
Hello All,

First time poster, long-term reader. I've ridden minimally on cheap hub ebikes in the past, and after long-term dreaming I've finally decided to invest in something that will serve as daily transport (12km flats punctuated by several steep hills), and for trails (40-100km days, similar terrain), and possibly an annual tour through mountainous Tasmania. In keeping with my love of early motorcycles I'm going to use my daily ride, a Pashley Roadster (see attahked photo) which is a heavy three speed with hub brakes, on which I commute about 5000km a year. I will give it a very early motorcycle/autocycle vibe. I've decided to fit a mid, Bafang BBSxx, limited to 250W (the legal limit in Australia); I'm looking for distance and reliability over speed and power. I'm a naturally strong rider, so the kit will just take the edge off hills and headwinds.

I'd rather warranty and back-up, so I'm buying through an Australian (i.e. local) seller, and have two options, selling slightly different kits, though same battery sizes, and would love your opinion as my knowledge is very basic. I'll leave out the vendors names.

1. BBS02, 36V 250W configured, includes DP14 display
Panasonic battery 18650B, NCR18650b 3400mAh cells (I don't know what any of that means!)
Seller is well-known, with excellent reputation for service, commitment, and innovation. Is in another city, however, so all physical dealings will be by mail. Also, I commute on busy shared footpaths, so if I ever collide with a pedestrian - I witness such scenarios from time to time on my route - although the motor is limited, yet it has "750W" engraved on it, which could mean some real legal headaches regardless of being actually within the law.

2. BBS01, 36/250, older LCD display
Samsung ICR18650-26F 2600mah cells
Seller is newer to the market, but is spoken of as very friendly and helpful, and is 10km up the road - I can do everything in person, incl any repairs after warranty lapses. He's also slightly lower priced, by an attractive amount, though this is not a decider in itself.

Any opinions on which to prefer for my uses? The second has some interesting battery options but I'll leave that for the moment.

Thanks,
Matt

Attachments

• 14484867_10154413650461826_1919032830788864837_n.jpg
    14484867_10154413650461826_1919032830788864837_n.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 587
Pashley make a beautiful bike.

All things considered and if you really plan to keep to 250w limit, I think I'd go with the local vendor. Not many of us have the luxury of buying from somebody just 10km down the road!

Well I ended up buying from the local guy: Daniel from Electric Bikes and Stuff in Greenvale in Melbourne http://www.electricbikesandstuff.com.au He was really helpful at the point of sale and has remained so since, answering questions by email within minutes. I plan to pick up a triangle 20ah pack from him soon for touring, but currently the 13ah Samsung that I purchased with the kit gets me 70-100km of commuting. It works perfectly with the 3 speed Pashley, making a 30kg bike - so heavy - but very stable and relaxed. I almost purchased a 1952 BSA Minerva autocycle to add this to, but I can't stand two strokes so it was pointless, and I stayed with the trusted Pashley.

I had hummed and harred for a long time about what to get, but I must say the BBS01B (250W) is a fantastic motor so far, and more than adequate in power for 120kg of rider and bike - on the flat I use only 50 or 75% level of assistance.

I'm still deciding whether to keep the battery on the rack or whether to hang it from the frame like an early motor cycle petrol tank.

Attachments

• Pashley electric.jpg
    Pashley electric.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 937
Autocycle said:
I had hummed and harred for a long time about what to get, but I must say the BBS01B (250W) is a fantastic motor so far, and more than adequate in power for 120kg of rider and bike - on the flat I use only 50 or 75% level of assistance.

I'm still deciding whether to keep the battery on the rack or whether to hang it from the frame like an early motor cycle petrol tank.

Beautiful thing about mid-drive motors and IGh, they work well when paired like this (good power ratio). My vote is for the old petrol style tank :mrgreen:

Back