bike bldc motor controller for a wind turbine?

Cbergerud

1 µW
Myself and a few other mech eng students have built a vertical axis wind turbine. To make power we are using a custom built 3-phase 12 pole brushless motor/alternator. This alternator puts out 3-phase AC of varying frequency and voltage, basically a max of 36V and about 30A continuous. We then rectify this AC to charge a battery bank. This turbine is NON-SELF STARTING design, so the turbine must be driven up to a certain speed before the wind can take over.

We have a PIC-based control system that monitors wind speed and the turbine/alternators absolute position and rpm. It will be determining when to start, brake, or otherwise control the turbines output. It can output motor position in any form a controller might want, its just a matter of programming.

Basically the turbine has 3 needed functions for a controller:

1.) Power generation. Basically the same as regen, torque from the airfoils drives the BLDC as an alternator to charge the batteries. This would be the default and most common use of the controller.

2.) Startup. The BLDC is run as a motor, ideally with some kind of control using PWM so the current can be conrolled. It shoudl be able to start the BLDC from 0 rpm to around 300

3.) Braking. When the wind gets too high or the batteries are full, we need to brake the alternator by shorting its phases together, PWM is necessary here too, alternating between shorting of the coils and regen function.

So, any electronics gurus in here think a bike bldc controller could be made to work, or perhaps and open source controller be easily adapted? Our electronics knowledge is OK but not to the point where we could start from scratch and have a nice elegant system.

Anyways heres a pic of the turbine for encouragement:

70341575155413175141363.jpg

70341575148363175141363.jpg

70341575148113175141363.jpg

OK so far I've determined I need something like this: The stuff I have no clue about yet is in the orange box :)

turbinecontroller.jpg

So for startup mode (determined by PIC 1, gates controlled by PIC 2) The phases are excited in the right order until the alternator reaches about 150rpm or so. PWM might be employed here to control the rate of acceleration. Once 150rpm is reached all the gates turn off.

The 6 diodes act as a full-wave rectifier. When the output voltage of the alternator is lower than the battery voltage, no load is placed on the alternator. The alternator is tuned so that it reaches 24V at about 175rpm. As the wind catches it from 150rpm and accelerates it towards its 300rpm max speed the voltage differential rises and charges the battery

When the alternator begins to exceed 300rpm PIC 1 signals PIC 2 to brake the alternator turning on the top side and bottom side gates in an alternating fashion, with PWM used to control braking force.

How close am I??

Back