BionX 350 watt, Lithium Ion Review

msconana

10 mW
I really like it! I tried both the 250 and 350 LiIon and there was about a 30% jump in power. I had to tweak the settings a little to see how everything felt. After my husband attached it to my hybrid, I brought it back to the guy I bought it from to make sure it was all right—seemed to make a funny noise. He messed around with my brakes and adjusted the settings and the noise went away. However, he liked the torque setting high and I found as I rode it that I really didn’t. It comes set at 1 and he set it to 5. I can understand why he did that, you have faster speed at take-off but it also made it feel ‘surgey’ and I just didn’t like the way it felt to surge down the street! I now have the torque setting at 3 (after trying 4) and it seems right. It is a little less responsive at the first pedal stroke but the entire ride is now much smoother, like a normal bike. Besides, when I had it set to Mode 4 (the most assistance you can get without touching the throttle) and the torque setting on 5 and I stepped on the pedal (at least with the 350 watt) I was never prepared for the, uh, ‘take-off’ effect and was starting to wonder if I was going to pop a wheelie! LOL.

Over all I really like it and am using it all the time. I’ve been in all kinds of places in my town that I’ve never been in before. It has plenty of power (for me anyway) and the battery lasts forever. The longest I’ve ridden in a single ride in the almost 3 weeks I’ve had it has been 15 miles (my town is only 8 miles across). Mostly I keep it in Mode 2 unless I’m riding on a rode with a lot of traffic and then I go to Mode 4. I’ve only ever used 1 “barâ€￾ on the battery readout. I’m debating on riding it to Boulder, which is about 20 miles away, for some classes I’m taking. I could easily get there and back and if I were worried about it I could bring the charger with me. It’s the size of a laptop charger and the LiIon only takes 3 hours to charge fully but of course it doesn't need to charge fully.

Mostly I use it for errands but almost always the errands have little side trips attached to them because I’m nowhere near ready to get off the bike. It is exactly as I expected, I get out much more often (almost every day) and get much more exercise than I used to. Keeping it in Mode 2 for most of the trip gives me a non-gasping workout that usually lasts between 45 min to an hour. I figure that’s much better for me than panting up the hills around here, feeling exhausted, and cutting my ride short because of it. I’m much more likely to keep up with something that isn’t going to hurt me in the long run

Things I’ve added or plan to add:
-Bright, battery run, flashing LED lights, white for front and red for back
-Just bought a rear rack by Old Man Mountain called the Red Rock. It’s supposed to be longer so I can push my panniers further back and they won’t hit my feet. Installing that tonight.
-Eventually will buy a baby trailer. We are adopting from China and in 16 months or so will have a baby girl, possibly 2 as we are open to twins. That’s part of the reason that I decided on the bigger motor—pulling kids will take more ‘oomph’
If I find a good deal on a trailer now I may use it to pull my dogs to the park, I think they’d get such a thrill from it and it would totally crack me up! I grin like a nut now, I imagine pulling dogs (2 Border Collies) would make me laugh out loud. Could also use this as a way to get lots of groceries home.
-Possibly a front basket to be used for all kinds of things, extra groceries, or my smaller dog. He’s an 8 lb mini Rat Terrier. And yes I would get one that was meant for that so he, and I would be safe! I might also consider a dog basket on top of the rear rack instead, might feel steadier.

So, basically, I’m going to become a traveling circus :)

If you’re ever in the area and want to try it, send me an email!

Julia
--
Julia MacMonagle
julia.innervoiceartstudio.com
Longmont, CO

Glad everything worked out with your purchase and it sounds like you made the right choice. May you have many happy miles ahead... I'm almost at 1400 miles on my hub motor 8)

Thanks for the review. I'm very happy you like it - and I may take you up on the offer to try it one of these days. :)

msconana said:
If I find a good deal on a trailer now I may use it to pull my dogs to the park, I think they’d get such a thrill from it and it would totally crack me up! I grin like a nut now, I imagine pulling dogs (2 Border Collies) would make me laugh out loud. Could also use this as a way to get lots of groceries home....
julia.innervoiceartstudio.com
Longmont, CO
"Cart before the horse" Julia, the dogs should be pulling you! :lol:

Hi,

I had my first assisted ride today and it was exactly as I thought it would be. Going uphill is such a joy! I chose the BionX PL-250 and installed it on an older Kona Kula, pictures here:http://picasaweb.google.com/toratlelAV/Bionx. Overall weight is 39lbs, pretty light for an electric bike (and darn heavy for a normal one :D).

Btw, your review was one of the reasons I went with the BionX. Looking very much forward to more testing tomorrow!

Bionx Blues!

I have had some trouble with my Bionx. They brag about how robust the motor is. Perhaps true. But what you don't realize is that inside the battery case is a sea of electronic circuitry that seems potentially sensitive, ditto with the handle bar controller. I bought my bionx in Dec. 2007 and have had 2 major breakdowns. In the first, the motor simply stopped working. Bionx of Canada had me ship all the parts back. They had it for about 1 month (and that was a month without using it!). I paid for shipping one-way. They covered the rest. I have ridden it maybe 10 times since then. And now it won't turn on. The console is "dead" even though the battery is topped up. So within a few days Bionx sent me a new console. I thought that was my best shot in getting it going again. Didn't work. Now I am awaiting further instructions from Bionx. Good grief. At this point I wish I had spend my $1200 on a fancy light-weight bike for my 13 mile (once a week) commute. How many other headaches am I going to have to go through with this Bionx? My Toyota Prius is much more reliable. It cost me about 20x more, but heck, I can go all the way to the beach with surfboards on the roof. I wish Bionx could be more reliable. Anyone else had any trouble with their Bionx?

burche said:
Bionx Blues!

I have had some trouble with my Bionx. They brag about how robust the motor is. Perhaps true. But what you don't realize is that inside the battery case is a sea of electronic circuitry that seems potentially sensitive, ditto with the handle bar controller. I bought my bionx in Dec. 2007 and have had 2 major breakdowns. In the first, the motor simply stopped working. Bionx of Canada had me ship all the parts back. They had it for about 1 month (and that was a month without using it!). I paid for shipping one-way. They covered the rest. I have ridden it maybe 10 times since then. And now it won't turn on. The console is "dead" even though the battery is topped up. So within a few days Bionx sent me a new console. I thought that was my best shot in getting it going again. Didn't work. ......

Sorry about your troubles. Many of the principle employees from Bionx were at Interbike last week, and those left behind were swamped I am sure.

The dealer network ( I work part time for a dealer) is pretty good at customer service. very few people deal directly with Bionx.

Most (90%) of bionx have No problems. Some known problems are a minor freeze up that a reset corrects, incorrectly tuned spokes, a few failures in the battery control module preventing operation.

I suspect your problem is possibly in the battery control module. Unfortunately the whole battery pack has to be replaced. Got any other Bionx systems close by?

ok to send stuff to me offline deardancer3 at yahoo dot com

Back