Building a high power Ebike, EEB or Vector frame?

Ebikes4Real

10 mW
Hi Guys,

I've been reading Endless Sphere for a while, but never posted until now. I've played with some lower power Ebike builds and now I'm looking to build something with a big power motor and big battery, probably in the EEB/Enduro frame, or maybe the Vector if people feel that offers some advantages? I'm quite technical as I have an Engineering background, so it's no problem to figure the specifics of the motor, controller etc. I have many of the components to build up a bike and I'd rather start with a fairly small budget for the frame. I'll be using it mainly on the road, with just a little off road and a big battery is important to me.

If anyone has any experience or insights on the Vector and EEB, please let me know your experiences. I've read lots of stuff from the Vector vendor, but most of it seems like hot air and sour grapes to me. When i checked out the for sale thread for the Vector, it also seemed like there were quite a few unhappy customers and lots of excuses. I did see an EEB build in the flesh and it looked pretty good to me and the owner was very happy with it. I've never seen a Vector frame in the flesh.

Is it worth paying extra for the Vector? What are the pros and cons for each?

Thanks in advance :D

Where are you based? What sort of riding will you do? Have you ridden mtb before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know what Sam will say. At least the part I would agree with:
"the most capable offroad bike will be purpose made for it, and will balance power. weight, strength, and control"

That wouldn't be one of these style frames, although there are still many reasons to choose them. A heavy and powerful hub is one imo. There isn't much reason to worry about the lacking bike-like technical ability for offroad when going that route, and the build can shine as an on/off road heavy (by comparison) enduro with a big battery and mx/moped tires and wheels.

The other reason is these things are far more sturdy for bike frame by comparison, and far more easily modded (being steel) than thin wall alloys.

Personally, I will be giving the Raptor frame style a try, because it's best suited imo for a custom mid parallel drive which will make it far more acceptable 'heavy build' for my offroad riding. However, I'm very happy with 'biking' on and offroad with my current >6kw single pivot 70lb XC bike build.

After a certain point it makes sense to go this direction (any of the steel ebike frames) because even the heaviest duty DH bike frames just aren't as well suited for big batteries, heavy powerful hubs, and generally heavy moped components.
From the two you mention, I would choose the EEB style from EM3EV, because of the sellers rapport and great value.
I also would prefer the vacuum molded covers over metal. Either frame style should be pretty much bombproof compared to an aluminum or even cromoly bike frame.

I'm personally going with an Enduro frame simply because it's cheaper by nearly $200. What other parts are you considering?

Thanks guys, I was getting a little worried nobody wanted to chat :D

I'm gonna be mostly using the bike on the road, no serious off-road stuff. I have some middle of the road forks and most of the other bike components. I'll need a rear shock, I'll probably get the typical dnm with a 750lb spring, to support my svelte frame. Probaby get a MXUS, an 18 fet infineon. Not decided yet, between lipo, or something a bit more expensive, but safer.

I'm based in France right now, but I'm not French and move around a fair bit.

I'm tending towards the EEB, as the owners talk highly of it, the price is very reasonable, there are a few sources for it, and it meets my requirements. Frankly, i wouldn't mind paying a little more for the vector, if it really offered much more, but actually that isn't the main reason I don't think the Vector is for me. The main reason I don't want the Vector is due to the underhand sales methods used, the mud slinging, plus after reading some customer complaints, and the responses to those complaints. Well let's say the after sales service doesn't inspire a lot of confidence and I'd be very scared it would arrive damaged.

Artur said:
EEB is the best frame for you )) They offer the best warranty above all frame manufacturers. Kappa

It's the Vendor/Supplier that is ultimately responsible for providing after service. No matter what a manufacturer says (you are not the manufacturer of anything of anything as far as I can tell), so you can't really rely on the manufacturer to do much to fix your problems (of course there are companies that operate differently, but this is the case for most Ebike parts suppliers), which is why it is important to buy from a reputable supplier that has a proven track record, if you value that sort of thing, and/or wouldn't know how to fix it if something failed.

My Bafang kit has a 2 year warranty apparently, but Bafang don't receive warranty repairs from the end user, so if my supplier doesn't fix my problems, then I'm stuffed. So Bafang's 2 year warranty counts for what if my supplier stops answering my emails? I tell you what it counts for, it counts for shit!

So, frankly your comment about this supposedly great warranty, from the factory somewhere in the Ukraine, where nobody even speaks English (according to you) means what exactly? It's supposed to instil me with confidence? That's not to say that the Chinese factory where the EEB is assembled is going to be a whole lot better, but at least they have a number, an address and they can speak enough English to sell their products to their English speaking customers. As you so rightly pointed out, anyone can buy from the Chinese factory, but for the Ukrainian Vector frame, you are the only supplier this side of Eastern Europe, that I am aware of.

Hi Ebike4Real,

Nice to hear about your ideas of building your self an electric bike. I have bought mine from Vector together with a motor, rear + front wheel, tires, tubes, rear suspension, DNM USD-8 Fork, Max-E Controller and a headset. I'm really happy with the service of the Vector team. They have offered me a fair price + discounts for buying so many things from them. I recommend you to ask for a discount as a member from Endless Sphere Forum for the rear suspension and the fork.
As I know that you are suspicious about trading with Vector for some reason, which I still do not know why, I want to be honest to you and want to tell you my personal benefits of the whole story. And the only benefit which I can tell from my personal experience was the waiting time to get the fork delivered. That's it.
The communication, even after payment, the help when I had some questions about how to mount something was, and is until this day still excellent. I think no other costumer service would have answered me so many questions about "solving problems" then I have experienced with Vector.
All in all I want to recommend you to buy from Vector your goods.
For being able to compare two different products you have to hear the pro and cont's of these two products / services.
I'm not familiar with the service / communication with EBB so I have to pass on this rating. I have never seen an EBB frame in real life but I know from about 5 independent people from the web that the fabrication and the painting is bad. Looking on the Vector side when talking about the quality of for example the painting I can't mention anything bad about Vector's quality.
So once again, all in all the service, quality, communication, price, trading is in my opinion that good, compared with all the points from EBB, that I would go with Vector :).

Good luck best regards from Germany and have fun with your build,

Elias :)

PS: I want to mention that you better think twice about your decision about the source of your build. Since you will go with speeds up to maybe 50 miles per hour, the danger to build an accident because of poor frame quality is it not worth it in my opinion just to save 200 bucks.. Even the hospital costs / time you aren't able to work is many times bigger, then to save 200 USD. Think about it, it is your life, your choice. Have fun :)

-Elias

Back