Bultaco brinco upgrade

bultaco90

1 µW
Hi all

I used to work for a company that upgraded these bikes, this is when i fell in love with them, but unfortunately the company it went bust. I recently bought one that needed fixing and would like to give this bike my all and make it amazing.

It has a 2000w hub. The controller needs replacing. But I thought of upgrading both the controller and battery but I'm a little stuck with the numbers. I find it complicated trying to match up battery's and controllers.

Could anybody help me. I'd like a 150a sabvoton tuned down to say 120a and 72v battery, with continuous and peak discharge to match. Could anyone offer me some advice.

I know the battery probably wouldn't fit the current box, if I could find one that did that would be great but I can ask a friend to make one out of fibre glass or something.

I always wanted a stealth bomber but I think I could get this just as good as it would be light and nimble compared to those and almost as fast.

I have the technician from the company who is willing to help me build it. I just need to source the items

Thanks in advance, any advice would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
If you're going to run 120a, you probably want a battery designed for motorcycles... which will be pretty big.
You may want to get a surron battery that is rated for at least 150a output ( always overshoot the output spec! ).

The motor on this bike seems to be an old crystalyte. The 35 and 40mm hubs weren't known for being very efficient. They should be rated 1.5kw or 2kw continuous. I believe the battery pack was 48v.

For this motor, i would consider doing 60v/100a, aka 6000w, instead of 8kw. This should allow you to get a surron battery that's roughly the same size as the OE pack, making it much easier to retrofit. This would also be closer to the thermal confines of the motor.

I can't really comment on what controller to get.

Back