Clever "Contortionist" Folding Bike Design - pics and vid

MitchJi

10 MW
Hi,

I wonder how the offset wheels effect handling.

Anyone know how the pedals drive the wheel?

http://www.treehugger.com/files/200...c-hargreaves-royal-college-of-art-student.php
folding-bike-contortionist-photo02.jpg

folding-bike-contortionist-photo03.jpg

See it In Action in the Video Below
The Contortionist is a folding bike created by 24-year-old Royal College of Art student Dominic Hargreaves. It's got quite a beautiful design, but what makes it extra special is that the whole thing folds into a package that fits inside the 26-inch wheels. It's the best of both worlds: It folds down to a small enough package that you can easily carry or store it, but it doesn't have the ride quality problems that make tiny-wheeled folding bikes unattractive to many. You really need to see the video of the Contortionist in action (below) to see how brilliant it is!

Production Model Could be Coming Soon
The Contortionist has been shortlisted for this year's James Dyson Award (and we wouldn't be surprised if it won). That could mean £10,000 for Dominic Hargreaves, but that's nothing compared to the commercial interest in the bike. The Guardian reports that three companies have already shown interest in making a production model, which would make the Contortionist "one of those extremely rare items that move directly from design student project into the shops."

How much would a production model cost? Dominic doesn't think it would be more than £400. "There's no reason why not. There's nothing on the bike that couldn't be mass produced in a bike factory."

Enough words. Just watch the video:
[youtube]l9_XEgGQBkQ[/youtube]
And:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2009/aug/03/contortionist-bicycle-folds-small
Quite often, Dominic Hargreaves says, people approach his fully assembled prototype bike simply to remark on how beautiful it is. "I then say: 'Did you know it folds up as well?' They look a bit shocked when I show them how it works."

As well they might. The new graduate's invention, called the Contortionist for the way the full-sized aluminium frame collapses sleekly into the circumference of its wheels, is creating such a fuss that it looks likely to be one of those extremely rare items that move directly from design student project into the shops.

The bike, created for Hargreaves's MA final show at the Royal College of Art in London, has already been shortlisted for a prize sponsored by the entrepreneur and inventor James Dyson.

Now Hargreaves, 24, is talking to three companies about a possible production model. "They're car firms. I can't say which but they're all German," he says.

Foldable bikes are an increasingly common sight around the UK, mainly in urban areas where commuters can fold them up for train or bus journeys, or store them in the flat for the office.

However, the most compact models tend to get much of their portability by using small wheels, which affects comfort and rideability.

Hargreaves said he set out to create a folding model based around full size 66cm (26in) wheels. "I wanted a bike for everything, one you could use in the city or off road without compromises, but would also fold up within the circumference of a wheel."

The resulting frame "rolls up rather than folds up" using an ingenious set of pivots in the frame, as well as a lockable universal joint in the front fork.

This resultant bundle can then be pulled along on its still-spinning wheels using a pull-out handlebar section, rather than carried like normal folding models.

It remains eyecatching even when assembled: it is probably the only bike you'll see where the front and rear wheels are not fully in line but offset slightly to assist the folding process. They are also attached to the wishbone-shaped frame on just one side each.

"There's a danger of sounding pretentious, but I really wanted to design something that was not only practical but beautiful, that you'd desire," Hargreaves said.

Despite the trickery, he believes a production model need cost no more than £400: "There's no reason why not. There's nothing on the bike that couldn't be mass produced in a bike factory."

Hargreaves has already won a prize for an earlier bike-related invention, a parking device by which cycles can be hoisted up a house or flat's exterior wall out of the way of thieves.

He admits to owning 14 bikes, although many of these are in bits "so I can see how they work".

Whether or not the Contortionist makes it into the shops, he has won praise from Dyson for the bike's "effortless elasticity [which] is mesmerising".

"I love that quote," Hargreaves says. "It means a lot."

The video does a great job of showing how it folds up. That's the coolest thing I've seen in a while.

I can only guess that propulsion is by electrical means. Generator in the bottom bracket and motor in the rear wheel.

MitchJi said:
Anyone know how the pedals drive the wheel?
I don't think they do. This appears to be more of a proof of concept than a fully operational bike. In the video, it seems fairly clear that there's no connection between the crank and wheel.

What is the robustness/cost ratio for a design like that? Its got to require hi-grade joints to be regular-bike durable with a design like that I'd think.

This is great, I'm normally not a fan of the one-legged front-fork, but if it allows the bike to fold up this good...

This is a wonderful solution for that "last mile" from the bus/train to your job. Many busses/trains won't allow a full-sized bike onboard, and many towns have added bike-racks onto the front bumpers of busses. It looks like the design requires that you have no gears, so its a single-speed? If it could accept a rear geared hub such as a Nexus-8, that would be wonderful. Either way, this bike cries out for an RC Mud-drive:

Attachments

• mud2005_RC_2-stage.jpg
    mud2005_RC_2-stage.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,553
Yep, hydraulic.

Later, Mr Hargreaves explained that the bike worked on hydraulics at present but that a future model would feature a conventional pedal-to-wheel chain.

Last paragraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5969091/Bicycle-that-folds-inside-its-own-wheels-perfect-for-commuters.html

Back