Controller for Ezee motor.

d8veh

1 GW
A friend wants her very old throttle-only Ezee bike converted with a proper PAS and a LCD (ideally).

I tried a couple of KT controllers, which both worked perfectly, but backwards. when I alter the wiring to go forwards, the motor runs too fast, like 50 mph, with both controllers. I tried every combination, which gives three that run perfectly backwards, three that go over-speed and three that give 10 mph smooth forward with high current.

Just for testing, I tried a KU93 controller that will run anything, but it went backwards too. I switched the wires and then it ran too fast. I pulled the hall plug to make it run sensorless, which made it run perfectly, but the KU93 only has one PAS level- maximum power, which is not very user-friendly.

I can only guess that the hall sequence isn't symmetrical, so reversing the wires doesn't work.

Does anybody know a controller with proper PAS function that will work with the Ezee motor. She doesn't want to spend a lot of money. I told her £80 for a KT controller, LCD and motor cable.

Has anybody got any other ideas.

Do you think something like the sensorless BMSbattery S06P or S09P will work? Bought the S06P w/o realizing it was sensorless. I tried it on a couple of hall sensor motors I own, and it worked, but I use it on a Bafang SWXH. Good 5 level PAS functionality with the LCD-1 display, as you probably know.

Thanks. They're also KT controllers, so might be the same. The S06P isn't powerful enough. She needs 20 amps, so the S09P might be OK, but what I'm looking for is confirmation that it works with an Ezee motor, or the reason that my KT ones don't.

I had this once before with KT controllers, when I wanted to run a Q128 in reverse. One controller wouldn't do it at all, then the second one worked on one combination, but it ran much faster than it should have, which is actually what I wanted because I was using it to speed boost a Bafang BBSHD past 40 mph.

While I'm here, does anybody know how many magnets are in an Ezee motor so that i can set the P1 parameter.

d8veh said:
A friend wants her very old throttle-only Ezee bike converted with a proper PAS and a LCD (ideally).

I tried a couple of KT controllers, which both worked perfectly, but backwards. when I alter the wiring to go forwards, the motor runs too fast, like 50 mph, with both controllers. I tried every combination, which gives three that run perfectly backwards, three that go over-speed and three that give 10 mph smooth forward with high current.

Just for testing, I tried a KU93 controller that will run anything, but it went backwards too. I switched the wires and then it ran too fast. I pulled the hall plug to make it run sensorless, which made it run perfectly, but the KU93 only has one PAS level- maximum power, which is not very user-friendly.

I can only guess that the hall sequence isn't symmetrical, so reversing the wires doesn't work.

Does anybody know a controller with proper PAS function that will work with the Ezee motor. She doesn't want to spend a lot of money. I told her £80 for a KT controller, LCD and motor cable.

Has anybody got any other ideas.
Hi Dave, I have a pr. of original V1 Ezees (circa 2007) and there was a common assembly flaw w/ that series. The Hall wires were too short and the solder points on the PBC were often cold soldered. After I heated and gently pryed the epoxy up, one or more wires on both motors came up w/ the epoxy.
At this point, I tried to run one sensorless on two different controllers, one a Lyen and had no luck. I must say I am surprised that you could make the Ezee run sensorless, because during my research, I was unable to find anyone who had been able to make that combo work. The general thought is that w/ 16 poles and the 5:1 reduction, it just spins too fast. Perhaps the Euro. Ezee is different than mine.
So I tried to repair one motor w/ the existing PBC, but it turned out to be very difficult. The solder point holes were ridiculously sm. and there was so much epoxy on the underside that it had clogged the holes anyhow. I obtained a new, updated(bigger holes) PBC from Grin (Ebike ca) w/ new sensors. After that, the repair was ezee(sorry, bad pun).
Al this may not be relevant because I was experiencing the regular "no Hall" symptoms, studdering and the like.
What you are describing the motor is doing is rather baffling to me. By "50 MPH", I assume you are talking no-load speed, but still... The only 2 speeds the early Ezee's came w/(in the States) were a 250 RPM(like mine) and a 300 RPM which would no-load (on 48V), maybe 30 mph, max. I really don't know much about winding schemes, but could it be possible that that "Delta" thing is whats happening. I know, that's crazy, but I don't see what else it could be.
At any rate, I'm running a 9-FET ELB 20 Amper, shunt mod'ed to 25 Amps. The simple 3-speed PAS works really well, smooth w/. little delay(better ,in fact, than the same basic controller works on my Q100C), but @ 12S, doesn't quite have the spread to cover the 15 to 25 MPH range of my system. If it was a 36 V system, it probably would be a better fit. I think you know I favor these controllers, they are inexpensive and avail. here in the states on Ebay for $40US, including shipping. That's about all I can offer. Let us know what you find out, if anyone can figure it out, it is you.

This is a 36v one with a top speed of about 20 mph, so probably 250 rpm. When it goes over-speed it rotates like a turbine. I've had that a few times with other motors when I had a false positive on the phase-hall sequence. This motor runs perfectly with the original Ezee controller.

If you did your tests 10 years ago, controllers of the time were probaly too slow, but modern ones have much faster and more powerful CPUs. The Bafang BPM is similar to the Ezee motor, and I've never had a problem running one of them sensorless with a KU 60/63/90/93/120/123 controller. The only thing that surprised me was that it ran the motor in the correct direction. The last time I had this problem with a motor, it didn't matter how I connected the motor, the automatic recognition in the controller figured it out, compensated for it, and made the motor run perfectly backwards.

I managed to find a nice 20 amp sensorless controller with a LCD from a UK, so I'm hoping that will solve it. I'll know on Tuesday.

Do you know how many magnets the Ezee motor has? It's needed for P1 setting in KT controllers, though the one I've been trying doesn't seem to give access to the advanced settings.

I can't actually get the rotor off the stator, but I counted 30 serations on the underside the rotor. That would be 30 magnets, right?

I think I read in some other post that it is 32 magnets and 16 pole pairs

Just about any controller that I try runs the motor smoothly backwards. There must be something asymmetric about the hall positions. I'm wondering if the motor is the other way round compared to say a BPM or MAC, with the clutch on the other side.

The old KU60/90/120s with the self-learning have always sorted out difficult motors. I have a couple, but I keep them for testing as you can't get them anymore. They're no good for this bike anyway because I need a multi-level PAS. I also have a couple of 14 amp 6 FET controllers with a reverse switch on them, but they can't provide enough power for what it needs (at least 20A)

I had read here that the Ezee clutch worked in reverse of the MAC/BMC clutches.
But it's not so, I have an O.E.M. Ezee clutch and a MAC replacement clutch I purchased from Em3ev and they are exactly alike, rotating in the same direction. Both V2 versions, I think.
And yes, my Ezee has 32 magnets and 16 poles.

I didn't save my notes when I hooked up my Ezee and I can't access the wiring now as it's buried, but I'm pretty sure I didn't have to do anything extordinary. Maybe a blue w/ a yellow and visa versa, but nothing unusal.

I just had to replace a damaged gear in an Ezee Sprint Gen I motor that is about 6-7 years old. I had a MAC clutch with upgraded blue gears that I bought from EM3EV a couple of years ago and they looked identical so I thought I'd save the time & just replace the whole clutch BUT after I fitted the MAC clutch the motor would not turn the wheel. I then discovered the MAC clutch I have freewheeled in the opposite direction to the Ezee clutch!! Did EM3EV sell me a dud clutch? Unlikely but possible.

Back