Controller still has voltage with no battery? Also somehow acting like a dynamo (9c DD motor)

Aquakitty

100 W
Hi,

I'm totally new to hub motors but trying to learn so bear with me.

Is it normal to have voltage on the controller after removing the battery? After removing the battery from my DD hub motor install (9C motor style), the controller still has 10 volts. Holding the power button on the LCD seems to discharge this at a slow rate. Is this normal? I ask because I think my phase wires are not in the right order.

Also, is it expected that the DD motor acts like a dynamo when connected to dynamo lights? Because that was happening without the battery connected, just the lights connected to the motor power. Is this some kind of automatic regen happening? I am having trouble Googling info on this for some reason. Also, I'd like to disable the regen if that's what is going on. Here is the controller:

HTB1DgNdbEWF3KVjSZPhq6xclXXal.jpg

For the record, I believe I have the phase wires in the wrong order as the wheel runs rough and backwards. I thought I would ask these questions before switching up the phase wires.

Edit: Seems this is a Kunteng 12 mofset controller if that wasn't obvious from the pic.

Yes, both conditions are normal.
The controller has big capacitors that will hold a charge for quite a while after the battery is disconnected. If you short across the battery input wires (after disconnecting the battery), you will get a spark from the caps discharging. It will tend to bleed off eventually if you just let it sit long enough.

The motor will act like a generator when the wheel is turned. People use them to make wind generators. The controller has diodes in the FETs that will rectify the motor output and make DC on the battery wires.

fechter said:
Yes, both conditions are normal.
The controller has big capacitors that will hold a charge for quite a while after the battery is disconnected. If you short across the battery input wires (after disconnecting the battery), you will get a spark from the caps discharging. It will tend to bleed off eventually if you just let it sit long enough.

The motor will act like a generator when the wheel is turned. People use them to make wind generators. The controller has diodes in the FETs that will rectify the motor output and make DC on the battery wires.

Thank you! That's pretty cool. The most oversized bike dynamo ever.

Back