DIY bms

geoff57

10 kW
I want to build my own Bms not rely on a Bms bought off the internet where I am not sure what is going on.
I will brake the designing of thiss down into several sections LVC, HVC, balancing, forced balance and amp limit on both charge and discharge. I want to be able up to 20 cells in series though I may do less and make the boards connectable to increase the cell count.
My first part to make will be a balancing board it will be based on an Arduino with a removable display, able to handle up to 20cells in series as that is the most I normally deal with.
Power may be external or from the battery, cell count should be automatic eventually but for speed user set to start. My first problem is the discharge resistor values most discharge circuits that I have seen use use 1206 SMD 620 Which is I believe a 62ohm 0.125 1/8 watt resistor, I want to increase the discharge rate to a a lot faster for that I would think a 2 watt through hole resistor will be required but what ohm value should I use to to speed up the discharge process.
Geoff

Thanks I’ll pick some up and set up a 4 cell test circuit will take a few days to get the parts and program the Arduino.
Looked up on eBay and other sites and the avalibility of 1 or 2 ohm resistors at 2 watt will mean getting from china, I’ll build the circuit with a gap for the resistors to fit into when they arrive.
Geoff

Back