• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Enduro frame build- advice for beginner

markz said:
MadRhino said:
I like modern carbon DH frames, but I agree that CF is a specialty that is not easy to master for building custom ebikes. I am still building on alu frames, but carbon is an option that I have not ruled out.

Why not Titanium?

I have checked some custom Ti frames. I find they have too much flex. Carbon is the opposite, very stiff. Titanium is interesting for some components and I have some on my bikes. I have a Thomson Ti handlebar, direct mount stem and seat post on the Session 10. That is a lot of money for parts that are available very good quality at much cheaper cost. I was planning to make a set of custom dropouts in Ti, but they were expansive already as raw material only, and the tools I use wouldn’t do. So I gave up on Titanium.

I am testing a CF handlebar for the 2nd time. The first was sold with the bike it was on, and had survived 2 crashes previously. Another one is on a new build that is not riding yet. So far, DH grade CF components had proved tough enough as far as I had the occasions to test them. I have a custom mud guard that was made by a friend 5 years ago, still good after a lot of hits. I need to experiment making reliable CF parts myself.

devo1223 said:
I think those leaf motors can handle 3-5kw so you want that power for the hub motor to make sense, if you just want 1-2kw then just get a bafang bbhd and a regular mtb and keep it light. Its all about power to weight ratio.

Can you explain this part to me? what does the 3-5kw refer to?

chopbike said:
devo1223 said:
I think those leaf motors can handle 3-5kw so you want that power for the hub motor to make sense, if you just want 1-2kw then just get a bafang bbhd and a regular mtb and keep it light. Its all about power to weight ratio.

Can you explain this part to me? what does the 3-5kw refer to?

An DD hub with a 35H stator width can survive an acceleration burst close to 10 kw.

3-5 Kw does refer to the peak power fed to the motor. Motors are rated for continuous power, in this case 1500 watts. But DD hubs can be fed short bursts of much higher power. You just want to avoid feeding too much for too long, as to transforming most of it into heat due to magnetic saturation.

Back