Had to return a beer to the bar today

richj8990

100 W
I think it was the first time ever I returned a beer, but I had a really good reason IMO. I was not wearing my glasses and they only had 4 beers at this Cuban restaurant. One was an Amber Lager, one a Pilsener. I knew something was weird about the tap sign, could not really read it from a distance, but I tried the Pilsener anyway. Got back to the table, sniffed the head, it smelled like grapefruit. I knew immediately I would not like it. Sipped a couple times...this is NOT a Pilsener. I don't care what they label it, it's not, period. Brought it back, told them look, I don't mean to be a beer snob, but this is not a Pilsener, it has grapefruit or something in it. They said yes it's a Pilsener, look at the sign. OK gloves off. They are the bartenders, they should know this stuff. I said again, I don't mean to come across this way but there is a Purity Law of 1516 (only 4 ingredients allowed in a real lager, and a Pilsener is a subset of a lager --- water, hops, barley, yeast). Anything else added automatically disqualifies it has a Pilsener / Lager. One of the bartenders immediately walked away like that was some seig heil remark, the other nodded 'sure, whatever', and then offered a different beer. Took the Amber Lager and this time it was real. I don't know what they teach in bartending school, but one thing they should teach is the difference between a real beer and a crap beer. There is a big difference, popularity of the crap beers aside. Any decent bartender would know that something labeled a Pilsener that had added grapefruit is a joke, it's not a real beer. Period.

It's possible it could've been the real deal, hops can cover an amazing variety of flavors and grapefruit is quite common (thanks to its overuse in tooth numbing IPA's usually served at entirely the wrong temperature). If a citrusy hop was used in a larger made in Pilsner in the Czech Republic... it's a more genuine Pilsener than most things sold as "Pilsener" even though it's entirely the wrong style, there's no decree on the correct hops (It's usually Saaz or another of the "nobel" hop varieties iirc).

When life brings you lemons... my philosophy is that wine needs to be drank after it's been uncorked. And if you dont entirely like it, choose another wine next time. Same case with beer. The only reason for returning it would be if it's rotten/spoiled in some way.

Bought a 6 pack of some Old Bust Head stout last week. I know what this stuff is supposed to taste like as I've had it at least 3 times before and more than 1/2 of the 6 pack had simply gone sour. Now I dont want to sound mean or snobbish or anything, but lets just say this particular liquor store I bought it from is a bit crusty. Nice guy behind the counter, so it wasnt an issue with the staff.

Paid $3 less than the slightly more upscale beer store charges and I guess I found out why. They dont throw out their old inventory and stouts dont last forever.

OP maybe you got some expired brew? Just a thought.

Actually the beer purity law you mention doesn't allow yeast - they didn't know about yeast when they wrote the law. They added yeast later.

Also as others have mentioned there are several citrusy hops that will give you grapefruit/tangerine flavors without any adjuncts.

Back