2x 72V 105Ah LifePo battery pack
OnBoard 2,5 KW 220V to 72V (max 88V) charger

top speed 115 km/h
Range @ 80km/h approx 100km
Weight: comparable to ICE version, bit more front loaded

IMG_20200712_134518.jpg

IMG_20200830_130020.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job. Looks like you did a good job replacing the stressed member engine with decent support.

I'm confused about your range. You have 2x 72v 105ah, which should give you 15.12kwh battery. And only 100km range, even with a relatively modest 80kmh?

I have a 350 pound bike, battery is 5.1kwh, and I get 80-95km range. I'm wondering whether you have so much battery (especially LiFePO4) that all the added battery weight got you into diminished returns on range.

Otherwise, I'm really impressed with the finished look, very clean with the plastics added back on.

On the pics you see it is 2x24S 56Ah

Very nice build!
Maybe it is just the angle of the photo but it looks like the front wheel will touch the battery pack on full compression of the front forks? Or have you tested/measured it that it is okay?
Will you be going to the RDW for a change to electric on the licence? I hope that works out well as I hear it is very costly to do that.

Nice job. Looks like you did a good job replacing the stressed member engine with decent support.

I'm confused about your range. You have 2x 72v 105ah, which should give you 15.12kwh battery. And only 100km range, even with a relatively modest 80kmh?

I have a 350 pound bike, battery is 5.1kwh, and I get 80-95km range. I'm wondering whether you have so much battery (especially LiFePO4) that all the added battery weight got you into diminished returns on range.

Otherwise, I'm really impressed with the finished look, very clean with the plastics added back on.
Thanks!

You are right. I was not clear there: the total pack is 72V 105 Ah. (2packs of 72V/56 Ah in parallel
Ech pack weighs about 35 kg. Total bike weighs a bit over 200kg

Very nice build!
Maybe it is just the angle of the photo but it looks like the front wheel will touch the battery pack on full compression of the front forks? Or have you tested/measured it that it is okay?
Will you be going to the RDW for a change to electric on the licence? I hope that works out well as I hear it is very costly to do that.
Thanks!
Good observation! I have added preload on the springs so it has less static sag now and the fender is not touching the battery pack on full compression. It is a matter of cm......

Indeed, going to RDW brings considerable costs due to the EMC measurements. Not sure if it is worth while, can almost buy a second hand Zero for that....

Thanks!

You are right. I was not clear there: the total pack is 72V 105 Ah. (2packs of 72V/56 Ah in parallel
Ech pack weighs about 35 kg. Total bike weighs a bit over 200kg
That makes much more sense, thanks.

Your top speed of 115 kmh is also impressive, considering the weight, only 72v, and a hub motor.

Thanks!
Good observation! I have added preload on the springs so it has less static sag now and the fender is not touching the battery pack on full compression. It is a matter of cm......

Indeed, going to RDW brings considerable costs due to the EMC measurements. Not sure if it is worth while, can almost buy a second hand Zero for that....
Ah, good to read you made sure it doesn't collide.
And please be aware that without the testing and change to an electric drive (ride?) train with the RDW, you'll be uninsured when riding on public roads. All nice and well until an accident occurs and you'll have to pay the damages yourself. Not a problem when it's a dent in someones car but it will be when it's a "dent" in someones body...

Thank you for posting all your build info. I’m planning a build and am interested in the use of a hub motor. How does it compare in performance to the original CBR engine? I help run the MZ Skorpion FB page and would love to use my spare rolling chassis to make an E version. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1390.jpeg
    IMG_1390.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Thank you for posting all your build info. I’m planning a build and am interested in the use of a hub motor. How does it compare in performance to the original CBR engine? I help run the MZ Skorpion FB page and would love to use my spare rolling chassis to make an E version. Thanks in advance.
There is no comparison. The 11KW hub motor is not comparable to the 60+ KW ice.
Torque is also not very impressive due to the 17 inch wheel
If you want to create a comparable hp/torque to your Skorpion (was it 600 or 650cc?) do not use a hub motor but go for an electromotor and a chain drive. Givesyou more design freedom and choice of motor and gearratio. Best is to include a 2 speed gearbox.

Do not forget that power costs power. Increased performance will require bigger battery or reduced range.

Nice build and healthy sized battery pack. That Kelly controller seems under-sized for the motor (QS 273 50H or 60H?) you are running; you would probably wake up the acceleration with double the phase current or around 1000A bursts but as you say; power costs power (and money). What sort of max temperature does your motor get to after a good ride?

Wish you luck,mid drive with reduction build in from factory, they will help with space and get front sprocket close to swing arm,l have a Replica with damaged keyway on counter balancer,going to try welding if and when it fails again I will go electric, looking forward to see a Skoroion electric build 96v,
Good handling bike

Wish you luck,mid drive with reduction build in from factory, they will help with space and get front sprocket close to swing arm,l have a Replica with damaged keyway on counter balancer,going to try welding if and when it fails again I will go electric, looking forward to see a Skoroion electric build 96v,
Good handling bike
Ooh keep in touch mate I’d love to share ideas my email is peterjames357@duck.com please do join the FB forum as you will be a great asset. Best regards Peter

Back