Luke wins Ultimate Race (Video)

Just for fun, and as a decent lesson for folks thinking of squeezing into too small of race boots, these were my ankles 18hrs after racing (notice the lines of the ridges in the socks are still crushed into my skin, and blistered in various spots).

IMG_20120617_124405.jpg

And here is a personalized picture of my ankles today as of 10minutes ago.

IMG_20120620_152329.jpg

Totally worth it, and wouldn't change a thing about how everything went, but if you ever feel like your ankles are getting crushed extremely tight by boots, be aware that it seems to be able to cause blisters just from the pressure of a stock getting smashed into your foot over time.

That was awesome!! Congrats on the win! Why did that moped corner so much faster? You would have lapped the entire field if you could corner as fast as him. :mrgreen: Its amazing how quickly that bike gathers speed. :shock: Then part way through the corner there he is. :?:

wildharemtbkr said:
That was awesome!! Congrats on the win! Why did that moped corner so much faster? You would have lapped the entire field if you could corner as fast as him. :mrgreen: Its amazing how quickly that bike gathers speed. :shock: Then part way through the corner there he is. :?:

I showed the videos to a friend today that has raced bikes for a long time and he had the same questions. He also wants to build an electric race bike now!

My guess on the handling thing is that the long rear end, forward riding position, long wheelbase, huge juice on tap, and lack of rear suspension on Luke's bike made it a little loose in the rear around the curves. All of this stuff is necessary to keep the front end down with all of the power that thing has but it's kind of like entering a dragster in a formula one race to some degree. I also think that maybe he was taking it easy in the corners on purpose to make sure he finished and didn't crash. He rode the heck out of it though and it sure makes for a good race when the competition actually gets close here and there.

With some chassis tuning on that beast and a rider that really took the bike all the way to the edge, the guy behind him would have been lapped by lap three!

I can't say it enough though. That was an awesome race! I laughed like a maniac every time he took off onto the straightaways!

The fork is sh*t. Maybe worse than sh*t, flexes in every direction except the direction it should be providing suspension, as it's generally sitting on the bump-stops unless I'm in a wheelie. The rear tire is amazingly sticky and perfect, the front is a scooter tire that while better than any bicycle tire, does break traction pretty easily. The bike is LONG! The bicycle equalivant of driving a limo or something. The weight distribution is not so good. The brake may/will just snap off at any moment, if it's not fading into smoke first.

So yeah, those things make it a little quirky handling. lol :)

But I've got the fix for most of those sitting in my office, and after the Portland drag racing, I will be installing it before Laguna Seca. :)

Well done, bro!

That's 1 in a row :p

Please insert pic(s) of rider, machine and 1st place trophy to maintain / establish our E-S Hall Of Dominion :twisted:

NICE! Looking forward to both!! The limo at the drags will work just about perfect. Make it corner and I think you could out go-cart-track a bullet bike. I freaking love it. How slow will a b&s etek clone be in comparison? Or will an 80/100 be as good? (as the etek clone). Oh by the way what did the moped guy think of it after he took a turn?

liveforphysics said:
The fork is sh*t. Maybe worse than sh*t, flexes in every direction except the direction it should be providing suspension, as it's generally sitting on the bump-stops unless I'm in a wheelie. The rear tire is amazingly sticky and perfect, the front is a scooter tire that while better than any bicycle tire, does break traction pretty easily. The bike is LONG! The bicycle equalivant of driving a limo or something. The weight distribution is not so good. The brake may/will just snap off at any moment, if it's not fading into smoke first.

So yeah, those things make it a little quirky handling. lol :)

Yes better front end suspension and better brakes would be a good place to start.
After Christophe tried Luke's ebike, his comments for improvement were along the same lines.
[youtube]6JmZANoNFuk[/youtube]

I am amazed at the progress Luke has made. Just think about it for a moment. No significant battery sag anymore with LiPo. No controllers going to smoke with the SevCons and Ryan's tuning. No motors melting the lead out of them our turning into black crumbs...

Now the focus on tuning the chassis! What a year or two it has been!

I agree Big M.Thinking back to what he took to Tucson and comparing it to what he ran last week... WOW! Amazing advances everywhere.

So now it's getting a decent fork and better (dual?) front brakes. That seems like it will help a lot. Any way to get some kind of rear brake on the bike? Anything at all would help. How about a foot activated drum? :twisted:

hillzofvalp said:
Thank you luke for doing everything no one else would dare doing.

Thank you. :) Fear limits experience. The meaning of life is to seek experience and embrace it. I make an effort to live properly. :)

liveforphysics said:
Fear limits experience.

I think being dead limits experience even more. :lol: You do great things, take care of yourself. :D

-JD

It was great watching the videos. Thanks for sharing. That is great acceleration.

Didn't realize the race was so close to where I live. Would have been fun to see it live.

Back