Mountain Biking Setup Suggestions

geosped

100 W
I need advice on my next off road mountain bike. Based on my previous experience see pics It worked but ultimately died after about 30 or so rides. It wasnt an ideal solution. I was using a BMC Rear hub at 50a LiPo pack about 10ah. It provided more than enough power to climb litterly anything I threw at it . On my watt meter it made over 1200w. I would not go open throttle for more than 5 seconds. The setup was a BMC v2 low torque rear hub motor with MyLin controller on a 12s LiPo pack at 10ah pack. My issues:

1) The problem with this solution is it felt very heavy in the rear.(this rear hub motor is heavy)
2) throttle was not smooth.
3) Only have throttle based twist grip. No assist.
4) felt jerky not smooth when starting out.
5) would over heat on a long assisted climb.
6) motor burned out after 30 rides.

Now I'm a heavy guy 250lbs that likes to go off road on real trails so tight single track in dedicated mountain bike trails in North Georgia. I dont do a lot of concrete riding but mostly off road. So low end torque is more important that speed.

I cant afford a "real" integrated off road mountain bike so I'll be looking at another DIY kit.

What is the best bang for the buck and what whould you guys recommend. I dont really need a large battery back. I will only be riding 10 miles at the most with several water breaks in between. So maybe 10 miles of offroad tracks. I dont like noisy units and hopefully there is a mid drive that is fairly light weight that can still haul my fat but.

What's the best, compact mid gear drive that would support a "Clysdale 250lbs) for about 10 miles on some good off road mountain biking trails? My thoughts were 750-1000w mid gear BAFANG BBSHD MID DRIVE EBIKE KIT and a 10ah? Are there better alternative options? Thought please and thanks in advance for your response.

Attachments

• giant[8909].jpg
    giant[8909].jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 270
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_20150715_090615.jpg
    IMG_20150715_090615.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 270
250 lbs is pretty light weight, many people in here in the mid 300's.

You are right the BBSHD mid drive kit is a good choice matched to a sinewave controller is a great option for good power and silence. I would up your battery to 14 or 15Ah if you are using all of your 10Ah battery capacity. Should be a good weight or size, if your keeping your 10Ah then thats fine to. BBSHD from Luna in California.

Cyclone-TW website in China is a good choice for more power, but a longer wait for shipping to Georgia USA.

geosped said:
What's the best, compact mid gear drive that would support a "Clysdale 250lbs) for about 10 miles on some good off road mountain biking trails? My thoughts were 750-1000w mid gear BAFANG BBSHD MID DRIVE EBIKE KIT and a 10ah? Are there better alternative options? Thought please and thanks in advance for your response.

Thanks for your reply. So from buying from a reputable dealer including battery? Is there a good dealer out of china that sells good 15am packs?

From looking around Luna (US) or EM3EV (based out of China) are there any other reputable shops based out of the US? What about stuff like Ali Express. There seem to be a bunch of BBSHD kits and batteries. Would you buy from Ali Express? Any other china shops I should consider? Also are there any other fourms I should be posting. Or am I posting in the wrong section. Not a lot going on in this forum.

NOTE: The bike posted is from a build I did a couple of years ago. I was thinking of rebuilding the BMC Hub but gave up on it. So now I'm looking to build something totally new and more powerful on a 27.5 or 29" platform. The BBSHD mid drive kit seems to get the most love from what I can tell. Yeah not looking for the biggest or fastest just something than can haul my fat but up the trail with out issues with out being overly heavy and or powerful. Dont want to be popping wheelies on the trail. Those days are long over.

Thanks again for your response! :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

Back