My Second Eboard Build; 12S Dual-Drive Longboard

CoolRextreme

100 µW
Hello all! CoolRextreme here.
Ill start by introducing myself to yall!
I have been a stalker of the E-board build forums here for about four months, and built my first Electric Longboard about six months ago!

I live a town or two above Sacramento (California, USA) Quite flat, but the town is flanked by hills.
I love building stuff, and when I first heard of Electric Longboards, I was instantly hooked.
I bought a longboard for 20 bucks from a garage sale, renovated it. And learned to ride a Longboard within a month.

Somehow I never fell down during the learning process, so I guess that zombie unicorn is watching out for me :mrgreen:

After that month of learning to longboard, and doing some (rather quick) research on E-boards, I ordered the parts for the cheapest E-board I could build (About $300)

To avoid repeating myself (Way to lazy to do that!) Ill just throw you the link to that build process.
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Electric-Longboard/

As for quick reference stats to that board:

Weight: 13 lbs.

Clearance; Ground to electronics casing: 2 in.

Clearance; Ground to board: 4 in.

Top Speed: 19mph

Cruising speed: 16mph

Range: 5 miles

Power: 1510 Watts

Batteries: x2 3S 5000mAh

Wheel size: 90mm

That was the newbie's newbie build. And I aim to improve myself, drastically.
Don't get me wrong. The board worked great! And I had a blast (and STILL have not fallen off)
But a sport-less 18 year-old without a girlfriend needs SOMTHING to run off of :wink:

So, with some endless sphere lurking, and some other research. I have figured out a (Hopefully) much improved version.

I kinda jumped the gun and ordered the parts already, but I am still open to any comments or concerns you all have!

My new build goals:

45 mph ultra max speed on level ground with a payload of 180 lbs.
25 mph on grades with payload of 180 lbs.
20% grades or highway overpass.97mm Longboard Wheels. For even better bump-rolling
Custom board
Great ground clearance. For nasty speed bumps, curbs, or probable light off-roading
Adjustable motor mount brackets that can work on any configuration (front/back, left/right, loosen/tighten)
12S Dual motors. MUCH better power and hill climb ability. Less strain on an individual motor/belt.
Tail Carry. For carrying small belongings/charger.
Carrying handle. Easier carrying of the board.
Nice wide deck. Better steering leverage/control with tighter trucks
Custom battery/electronics housing. On TOP of board for better ground clearance. Waterproof.

Deck: Custom
Motors(2): Electric Skateboard Motor 6355 230KV 2650W
http://diyelectricskateboard.com/product/electric-skateboard-motor-6355-230kv-2650w/

ESCs(2): Alien 150A 3-12S ESC Sensored Opto
http://alienpowersystem.com/shop/esc/alien-150a-3-12s-esc-sensored-opto/

Batteries(4): Multistar High Capacity 6S 10000mAh Multi-Rotor Lipo Pack (Where on sale 50$ each!)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...0mAh_Multi_Rotor_Lipo_Pack_US_Warehouse_.html

Wheels: 97mm Wheels Longboard Flywheels

Trucks: Caliber II 10"/50 Degree Skateboard Trucks

Gearing: 16/32 (1:2)

Also, just for kicks, I got some LED Car-under-body lighting stuff off e-bay. Remote controlled with RGB LEDs and plenty of synchronized flashing options.

Charging Set-up:

Power Supply: 835 Watts 69 Amps AC - DC 12 Volt RC Power Supply
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-POWER-SU...DC-12V-cb-efuel-50-70a-60-20-30-/301361360478

Charger: Turnigy MEGA 1000W 8S 40A Lithium Polymer Balance Charger
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=56257

Parallel charging/balancing board: 1X 2~6S LiPo XT60-Plug Parallel Balanced Charging Plate
http://www.airyear.com/26s-lipo-xt6...9.html?zenid=bdb3e1e1440e12c2a9a84d752d40a1ef

Two 6S 10,000mAh batteries will be wired in series, which will be wired to an ESC, which will in turn be wired to a motor.
The ESCs are connected by the receiver with a Servo Y cable.

I also have a Turnigy twin-output UBEC wired between one set of batteries and their ESC/Motor.
One lead (5V) powers the receiver.
the other (12V) will power anything else I may want

I think that about wraps it up. Custom deck will be wide enough to afford me really good leverage with tight-ish trucks.
45mph is really just the 'show speed' And I will most likely (almost for-sure) not be going that fast. (Yet. :wink: )

We shall see.

But I am certainly excited about going over 20mph. Just gotta remember to slow down for school zones.

I am certainly honored to be among all the smart guys, and look forward to learning from you.
Please sensi, teach me thy ways! :mrgreen:

Questions so far:
Will the charging set-up work? (battery XT90 connections will be clipped off and I will have XT60s soldered on)

Dose having two motors increase speed efficiency vs. having one motor? (one motor may provide 70% efficiency alone, but both motors helping each other out might
have 85% efficiency?)

And from my understanding: High voltage means less amps traveling through the ESC and Motor, therefore generating less excess heat.

I have ordered a watt meter so I can see in real time how many amps I am pulling off the batteries and through the ESCs

I wouldn't get the Multistar. You'd want 12S with 35C if not higher.

That Alien ESC won't cut it. You should get either 12S VESC and/or 12S TorqueBoards ESC.

Don't cheap out on the charger and go with iCharger 208B + 350W HK Power Supply.

You'll like our new motor mounts which should be done soon. They are much more durable 2 pieces. 7075 Aluminum as well as you can mount it on the front and rear of the truck. It's a much shorter distance you can use 255/265 belts.

XT60 is fine for charging but you might want to use XT90 on your setup.

2 motors is better for traction and uphill climbing ability IMO. Speed is definitely better on a single but IMO going that fast I'd want a second motor for added protection in-case my main motor breaks on me. I still have a second. But that's just me.

Thank you Torqueboards for your quick reply! :D

I guess I did not show how I was wiring anything up. Sorry, will edit that in.

The (four) Multistart 10000mAh, 10C, from my understanding, gives 100C each right? (10Amphours x 10C = 100A)

Two batteries will be wired in series for EACH ESC/motor. So that is 12S 100A that a single motor can be powered off of.
However the max current the motor can draw in this case is 80A (Fore-going spikes) Will that work?

Will the Alien ESC not work? I wanted to test them out in this build. the VESC or your ESCs where actually next on the list for application in the next board. (Giving myself some time to further research/understand the VESC)

As for the charger, yes, that is a given. I am still a college student (I can cook a mean Top-Ramen :D )
Some day I will for sure invest in a superior charger. But as of now, I think this will be huge step up from my $25 IMax b6 5A charger. I was just worried for some reason if the power supply would work with the charger.

I actually REALLY like your current adjustable motor mounts. And want to CNC something to the effect of adjustable/rotatable motor mounts with some 3D printed Inserts. Curious as to how you are making it in 2 pieces. Are you taking the hanger side of the mount and having it loop around the hanger bracket on one side, with the other side being able to tighten into itself around the hanger bracket? (If you can follow that sentence :shock: )

My problem was I could not find a parallel charger with XT90. I guess I will have to grab a few XT60-XT90 adapters off Ebay instead of re-soldering the battery leads

First few parts came in today from Ebay! :D

97mm Blank Longboard Wheels and Caliber II 50 Trucks :D
DSCF2439.JPG

Two power supplies for the charging system (ill only be using one)
DSCF2440.JPG

Some Car under-body LED lights. I assume they will work just as good on a longboard :wink:
DSCF2441.JPG

Hobbyking and Alien Power system products still on back order :(

Back