need some advice on what to get or at least the options available

ok, some background: ive had what ill call 4 ebikes: 2 premade and 2 kits, which were built onto a variety of frames over the past couple years. my first was an ancheer. after that i got a cheap 48v 1000w kit on amazon and a 48v 13.5ah shark battery from luna. after about a year the axle on that kit locked up, so i got a new one, the 1200w waterproof kit from ebikeling. and somewhere along the way i picked up a used prodecotech folding step-through bike for my wife, which ive ridden sometimes as well. ive currently got the 1200w kit with the luna battery mounted on a trek hardtail. im currently looking at a full suspension bike to move them to, as the roads around here can be pretty bumpy and i think hitting all those bumps at 25 mph on a hardtail is getting pretty hard on my tail. (well, really my back.) i use it mainly for commuting and shopping, including pulling trailers with either loads of groceries or my son.

once i started thinking about a new base bike, i got to thinking, maybe i should just go completely new and get a whole new kit and battery (if needed). while the cheaper kit got me up to about 29 mph readily, the 1200w kit only gets to about 25 mph. it does get faster when i lift the back up and it just has to spin, but it cant seem to overcome the resistance of the weight of actually riding to get up to full speed. i would prefer to be able to do 30, tho, or even 35, so im thinking about upgrading to a new kit, too. this one just isnt living up to what i thought it would be. i do like the cleaner easier connections that it has over the cheap kit that i originally got, but it cant seem to get going as fast even tho it claims to be a more powerful motor.

so, im looking for suggestions for a new kit that:
-will do 30-35 mph
-clean waterproof connections (i ride in the rain and keep my bike outside, no place inside unfortunately)
is at least 1000w or more powerful to handle the heavy loads i sometimes pull

i was thinking maybe to go with a 2000w kit, possibly with a 52v battery, but at least the ones i saw on amazon all had the messy connections like my old cheap kit. are there any 2000w kits with waterproof connections like the ebikeling one? they only have up to 1500w i think.

alternatively, i saw in a post something about using another controller to get more speed out of a motor. would that be an option here? thats probably the cheapest route, to just upgrade the controller. im not sure how to determine what i need or what would be compatible, though.

another alternative im thinking about is going with a premade. while more expensive, ive definitely had way more issues with my builds than i did with either the ancheer or my wife's prodecotech. granted, i ride much more often than she does, and ride much harder than she does, but they do seem more reliable in certain ways. its an option im looking into as well, but im having trouble finding one that fits my needs, as most full suspension ones are aimed at trail riding with less powerful or speed-limited motors, and are super expensive with carbon frame etc. i dont need super fancy but does anyone know of any bikes that would fit this criteria:
full suspension
can do 30 mph with throttle
at least 1000w motor

thanks!

I would go to Grin technologies and get a Phaserunner, waterproof, programable, they have entire kits too. ive run upto 3500 watts through the phaserunner but my batteries can only handle 2500 watts. you can look at the scorpion fx build. its all Grin technologies except for the battery. or the Marin build, that's a phaserunner and I ran that 3500 watts/56 amps and 1300? watts of regen

goatman said:
I would go to Grin technologies and get a Phaserunner, waterproof, programable, they have entire kits too. ive run upto 3500 watts through the phaserunner but my batteries can only handle 2500 watts. you can look at the scorpion fx build. its all Grin technologies except for the battery. or the Marin build, that's a phaserunner and I ran that 3500 watts/56 amps and 1300? watts of regen

would that give me the better speed out of my current motor? the current controller isnt limited, itll get it to 30+ mph when theres no resistance, ie i lift the back up. it seems its the motor that cant handle it. or is it that the controlloer limits the amount of stress on the motor? would putting more on it hurt the motor? or the battery if it needs to pull harder on that to get the motor to work harder?

thanks.

higher volts gives you more speed. I play with batteries and the phaserunner lets me do that. a lot of controllers in your range of 48v to 52v cant go past 63v at full charge. for me 40 mph is fast enough on a bicycle. I went 17s so that when my battery is dead im at 51volts. you know how much fun your bike is when fully charged at 54.6 and my no load top speed on the marin/3540 is 85km/h.
also if you look at the marin build youll see how I hang batteries under the bike, in regards to your other post about fitting a battery

goatman said:
higher volts gives you more speed. I play with batteries and the phaserunner lets me do that. a lot of controllers in your range of 48v to 52v cant go past 63v at full charge. for me 40 mph is fast enough on a bicycle. I went 17s so that when my battery is dead im at 51volts. you know how much fun your bike is when fully charged at 54.6 and my no load top speed on the marin/3540 is 85km/h.
also if you look at the marin build youll see how I hang batteries under the bike, in regards to your other post about fitting a battery

Where can I see the marin build? 40 mph would be way more than I need. Really, 25-30 would be enough, but I want something that can keep that up even when riding into light to moderate winds. Right now, I can reach 25, but it struggles to keep that going in slightly adverse conditions. (Which is why I was thinking to upgrade to a 2000w motor, I figure that should have the power to keep up speed under adverse conditions, no? )

Doesn't voltage depend in the battery? Or does an advanced controller like the phase runner have the ability to alter the voltage that's being fed to the motor?

While I've done a couple builds already, it was all straightforward stock stuff, not super familiar with exactly how everything works and how to alter it.

Thanks.

higher volts make motor spin faster. in the marin, I test 2 batteries so you can see different no load top speed with different voltage

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=104027

Returnformer said:
Doesn't voltage depend in the battery? Or does an advanced controller like the phase runner have the ability to alter the voltage that's being fed to the motor?

Yes, and yes. System voltage that we're usually talking about is a function of the battery. Motor voltage is determined by the throttle, via the controller (any controller.) Motor power rating numbers are hand waving approximations that don't exactly correspond to anything.

ok, so with a different controller i can squeeze more power out of my current motor? is there a cheaper option to do that than the phaserunner? thats pretty expensive...

regarding mounting to the underside of the downtube, if it doesnt have rivnuts there already, just how bad is it to have them added? do people do this often? obviously its going to weaken it some, and i saw one site that argued against ever adding holes yourself anywhere, but have people done this and not had a problem?

and while im asking tons of questions (thanks!) i saw somewhere here that a steel frame is better than an aluminum one as it holds the motor more securely. (which i also found out firsthand, my first build was on an older rigid steel frame, then i moved it to a newer ht aluminum where it dug out the dropouts, so i had to move to a new one and get torque arms.) would steel dropouts be better than aluminum with torque arms? im currently looking at a bike to get thats aluminum, but i just remembered that i saw recently a review of a bike that the main triangle was aluminum and the rear triangle was steel. the reviewer panned it for that, but for ebike purposes, that would be good. downside of that one is its a cheaper walmart type bike, but i could theoretically upgrade the suspenson to a better one, and it would probably end up about the same price as the bike im looking at. thoughts on a preference between those two options?

thanks.

Back