Neu 8057 6kW left hand drive hardtail with vesc and encoder

I've also been playing with silent HFI for sensorless tracking at low/zero speed this week as this has recently been added to the vesc firmware.

I have it configured to inject in d-axis at half the switching frequency so it isn't totally silent at 15kHz but not an issue on the road.
It works really well! I only needed to tweak the Lq-Ld parameter as this was clearly wrong at 10uH for my motor with 15uH Lav. I guessed and entered a fairly low value of 3uH for my surface mount outrunner. I have tried it up to 120A which is where I feel safe either holding the wheel by hand or by manually pushing against the handlebars standing in front of the bike. It has not skipped a beat nor has it ever flipped 180 degrees out of phase and tried to spin the motor backwards.

district9prawn said:
I've also been playing with silent HFI for sensorless tracking at low/zero speed this week as this has recently been added to the vesc firmware.

I have it configured to inject in d-axis at half the switching frequency so it isn't totally silent at 15kHz but not an issue on the road.
It works really well! I only needed to tweak the Lq-Ld parameter as this was clearly wrong at 10uH for my motor with 15uH Lav. I guessed and entered a fairly low value of 3uH for my surface mount outrunner. I have tried it up to 120A which is where I feel safe either holding the wheel by hand or by manually pushing against the handlebars standing in front of the bike. It has not skipped a beat nor has it ever flipped 180 degrees out of phase and tried to spin the motor backwards.

Is this the coupled HFI option? And are you still running the neumotor 8057?

The surface mount outrunners actually have a lot more ld-lq than you'd expect. I bought an LCR meter a while ago, and found my 12070 motor was 28-50 uH phase to phase...

gr8 build i'm planning something similar with an aliexpress rikshaw motor. they build those with V magnets these days they seem to be very rev happy and kinda cheap too plus they are fanned which basically means unlimited power if drilled up...how do you manage to compensate for chain slack? the problem is that biycle dropouts are fixed so you gotta move the motor forward and backward or is the tensioner enough? i'm planning 25H chain hope it will be strong enough...

Sattva Ram said:
gr8 build i'm planning something similar with an aliexpress rikshaw motor. they build those with V magnets these days they seem to be very rev happy and kinda cheap too plus they are fanned which basically means unlimited power if drilled up...how do you manage to compensate for chain slack? the problem is that biycle dropouts are fixed so you gotta move the motor forward and backward or is the tensioner enough? i'm planning 25H chain hope it will be strong enough...

The small tension wheel by the front sprocket isn't enough. It just helps the chainline clear the bottom bracket shaft.
I ended up using a spring loaded chain tensioner.

25H chain should work fine for those rickshaw motors.

y4m79ROwkW82ejhpMEzOO-2NaZjN1lY6O0ifjjgAfG-2x3NvtGdhsEiUkMnkm9MKIkBqodOx2fW8KS6XciTNRvyNxNv8B29PhSV5CXomHPyhH6hYoLxXVDZ7XQBE_pqeIq8AJHi7qmzpS-gfOIrKH_4qujCR09DTV9lLOuuIBSq3nTYeZYFALHWIOE355KnOCmP

Well i researched in the meanwhile i thought 25H is the same as t8f but t8f is way stronger. 25H would be snapped instantly by the rick that's a very weak chain but t8f will hold for sure...

Back