new member and 1st Build

Yeanzo

1 µW
Hey everyone.

I'm new here on the ES forum,

Short summary of me is that i live in Belgium, work as a Technician, i'm 23 years old, and my name is Matthias.

I've been lurking here for a couple of months and now i'm nearing completion on my electric longboard.

the board setup will be:

Deck : Loaded Dervish sama (circles)
Trucks: Paris truck v2 180
Bearings: loaded jehu (will probably change them later on)
Wheels: Orangatang Kegel

The motor mount is made by myself on a milling machine.

wheel pulley : 40teeth 9mm wide
motor pulley :14 teeth

motor : turnigy SK3 aerodrive 260Kv
ESC: VESC
Controller : nameless wireless nunchuck
Battery: 2x3s wired in series 5000Mah

I designed and 3D printed the enclosure myself and it is still a work in progress... but seems to fit nicely.

https://goo.gl/photos/imFHQpoCV3Pjirho6 <- you can see my google album here (if you can't access it please do tell me, then i'll upload them to a normal image hosting site)

i hope you all enjoy my pictures/ buildlog if you have questions/comments, fire away :D

Regards,
Matthias

Matthias - nice clean build! Like your simple single enclosure (3d printed it looks like).

checking my gearing calculator i see your top speed should be about 17mph:
Code:
Diameter		Motor KV		Battery S/V		M pully		Hub pulley

80		260		6		14		40

Speed= KPH	32.9382144							
Speed= MPH	19.84229783							
actual speed	16.66753018

A couple questions and suggestions. Are you planning on increasing voltage (higher 4/5s batteries in series)? Love the 40t wheel gear to keep speeds more reasonable if you do. With 260kv motor you will need to stay below 10s on your VESC. 12s would work if you have <200kv motor. Again, i'm not positive the new hardware Vedder has released (4.10/4.11/etc.) fixes this? Someone clarify if i'm wrong - i haven't checked in a while (i'm still using 4.8 hardware).

Nice mount too - have you had any issues with belt tensioning? Adding slotted motor mount holes to help tension might be helpful if so.

Great build and welcome to ES!

today i got my first ride, after soldering in my anti spark circuit but i think the resistor has a bit too high resistance as i used a 500ohm one... which would net in about 0.05amp i guess that's a bit too low to charge the caps in a reasonable time as i'm still getting sparks when connecting the loop key (even after 10sec) i'll maybe got for about 24ohm to get about 1amp current draw for charging the caps on the VESC.

after dialing the ideal motor position i tightened my clamping bolt really good.. should leave a mark that i can use to drill a hole in or through the truck for absolute positioning.

sl33py said:
Matthias - nice clean build! Like your simple single enclosure (3d printed it looks like).

Thank you, yes the enclosure is self designed and then 3D printed
sl33py said:
checking my gearing calculator i see your top speed should be about 17mph:

That should get me about 25km/h which is more than enough for me....for now and i believe 25km/h is the max speed for ebikes allowed by law (with a 10% margin) so i should be safe on that side... i hope
sl33py said:
A couple questions and suggestions. Are you planning on increasing voltage (higher 4/5s batteries in series)?
maybe in the future but for now it's good. i just had my First ride today so in time and when i get more knowledge about the components i'll know if i'd upgrade. although lower current draw is always good news
sl33py said:
Love the 40t wheel gear to keep speeds more reasonable if you do. With 260kv motor you will need to stay below 10s on your VESC. 12s would work if you have <200kv motor. Again, i'm not positive the new hardware Vedder has released (4.10/4.11/etc.) fixes this? Someone clarify if i'm wrong - i haven't checked in a while (i'm still using 4.8 hardware).
according to esk8.de i should have version 4.11/12 haven't really looked into the hardware yet
sl33py said:
Nice mount too - have you had any issues with belt tensioning? Adding slotted motor mount holes to help tension might be helpful if so.
thanks, i milled it myself. tension seems okay with me, no skipping teeth, and yet when i release throttle to coast a bit the board keeps rolling without too much drag braking. i calculated the ideal center to center distance for these specific gears, then drawn it in inventor, printed and testfitted it, and finally made it in aluminium (i uploaded a pic in the google album of me squeezing the belt)
sl33py said:
Great build and welcome to ES!
thanks really appreciate it

after modeling a bit more. i came up with this design.

at the moment i have 1 half printed and the other one is being printed now
kinda curious if i can counter the flex of the board by fixating this enclosure in 2 points and then have 2 washer-spring assemblys in the slots. will see when the print is finished i guess
6zxxqt.jpg

That should get me about 25km/h which is more than enough for me....for now and i believe 25km/h is the max speed for ebikes allowed by law (with a 10% margin) so i should be safe on that side... i hope

after digging a bit in the Belgian laws i discovered that 18km/h is the allowed top speed for e longboards so i'll have to mess around with the erpm in the bldc tool... would be nice to be able to change this on the fly... but for now that should be sufficient

Hi Yeanzo

I must say I like that board. :D
Nice neat enclosure you have made there as well as your simple but efficient motor mount. (So wish I had a small milling machine)
To add adjustment slots to move the motor for belt tension should be a piece of cake then.
Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.

Back