One BMS with multiple parallel packs?

FlexiRex

1 µW
I have been floating around this forum for a while and there appears to be a number of battery experts on here which is exactly what I need!

I have built 18650 battery packs before but I have a project that is a little different and I think I have the solution.

I need a 6S pack with high capacity. A single 6S6P BMS protected pack would be ideal, BUT it needs to be travel friendly, so it cannot be over 100Wh.

My plan is:
  • Build 6 x 6S1P unprotected packs with balance leads. Each pack will be under 100Wh.
  • Once the packs have arrived at their destination, connect them in full parallel (discharge and balance leads) inside a purpose built enclosure with a single BMS to look after protection and charging.
  • The packs can then be unplugged again for travel.
Will this work?

71gA6KKC6rL._AC_SY355_.jpg

(bottom one is 6S)

Last edited:
It will work but not ideal. You will have a rats nest of wiring to deal with in the future. Clean plan and it can work.
Many have used BMS on many-brick lipo retail packs in the past. This is no diifferent.

NEVER go over the rating ( or even close ) with those Parallel boards. That is not even a "SAFE PARALLEL" board ( they make them with fuses on every line, Progressive RC SAFE balance parralel board polyfuse EVERY line).. you linked a " Danger Ranger Parallel board"...

They will burn at constant duty > 25A.

I have three burned ones here.

Here is a PRogressive RC SAFE board ( fused). MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH SAFER.

multi_xt60_1024x1024.jpg

That's for charging six 6S1P ... he wants to attach a single (protection) BMS to the 6S6P ... assume he ALSO wants to discharge as a 6S6P ??
I need a 6S pack with high capacity. A single 6S6P BMS protected pack would be ideal, BUT it needs to be travel friendly, so it cannot be over 100Wh.

My plan is:
  • Build 6 x 6S1P unprotected packs with balance leads. Each pack will be under 100Wh.
  • Once the packs have arrived at their destination, connect them in full parallel (discharge and balance leads) inside a purpose built enclosure with a single BMS to look after protection and charging.
  • The packs can then be unplugged again for travel.
Will this work?

Last edited:
That's for charging six 6S1P ... he wants to attach a single BMS to the 6S6P ... what if he wants to discharge as a 6S6P ??
It will be charged and discharged as a 6S6P.

It will work but not ideal. You will have a rats nest of wiring to deal with in the future. Clean plan and it can work.
Many have used BMS on many-brick lipo retail packs in the past. This is no diifferent.
For the wiring I'm thinking build a "parallel board" but with wires (and fuses) and pot it all in the enclosure when complete. The BMS can be wired to this permanently. Then I just plug in the separate packs discharge and balance leads and I'm good to go.

I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something obvious.

Reminds me of the modular battery system Grin made:

Back